WARNING - Ford has a problem with the 3.7L Motor

• Sponsors (?)

We purchased a 2011 Mustang with the 3.7L V-6 in June. In August, we started noticing a tapping sound under the driver's side cam cover. Sound got progressively worse so we took it to the dealer this Monday. Upon removing the cam cover, the technician noted visual damage to two of the followers. Data was reported to Ford. Just got off the phone with the Ford dealer. Ford now says they are aware of a problem with the 3.7L V-6 with regards to early failure of the followers. They have no solution and they have instructed the dealership to put the (damaged) engine back together and give the car back to us until they figure out a fix. Thanks for nothing Ford! I guess they didn't have enough money to do real testing and their business model is that the Ford customer will do their durability testing for them. Meanwhile we're stuck with a brand new car (~6K miles) that has a bum engine. Ford just lost a customer forever.
They must've fixed the issue by the 2014 model. I bought my new in July 2014. Here it is March 2017 and no issues yet. Car runs really smooth. I have 41K miles on it. Sorry to hear about your issue. I hope they resolved it by now. Doesn't sound like a safe drive. When you buy an Mustang, even the V6, you expect at least some performance.