Wear safety googles!!

Mustang67Coupe

Feb 20, 2004
Salem, Or
unfortunately i dont wear them as much as i should but im going to now. Somehow 2 days ago a peice of metal got stuck in my eye in the bottom part of my iris. I didnt notice for the first day and went to sleep with it.

As most people know while you sleep you go in and out of REM sleep several times a night, REM sleep stands for Rapid Eye movement.

Rapid eye movement and very sharp metals lodged in your eyes are not good i found out. So the sharp peice of metal torn up the inside of my eye lids, which isnt too comfortable.

Today i went to the eye doctor to get the thing out and he proped me up on the little microscope deal. Then he started to try and dislodge it. First he goes at it with a seringe, and that sucker was in there good! I could hear the twang when the needle slipped off the peice of metal. The needle didnt cut it, so he got this other tool with a long name, Come to find out that long name pretty much meant drill. So now im sitting there and hes drilling the peice trying to get it out of my eye. Finally that worked and it came out, He gave me a perscription and i was on my way.

But dang im wearing safety googles from now on when restoring these things!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I wear prescription safety glasses at work (can't see too well without them anyway) and while doing stuff at home. They look ugly as hell, but who cares, I'd rather be able to see than not. The left lense has a 1/2" scratch to remind me of their importance.

That is a good point... I have been useing alot of grinding discs and wire wheels and have gotten a few good chunks of whatever hit me in the face and it hurts, I tend to use glasses most of the time because of the other times I did not and suffered with pain. A face shield is even better as I said those chunks of disc,steel,rust can sting or worse when they hit in a tender spot.....like the eyes. Good point.

I learned the hard way when I ported my heads. I had a piece of metal get behind my glasses and into my eye. That didn't feel good. I have three pairs of safety goggles in my garage so I always have a pair at hand.

Yes. Good point. I finally got tired of getting stuff in my eyes, and after having gasoline, and worse, lacquer thinner in my eyes, I religously wear goggles, especially when under the car or using rotary tools.

On a similar note, always use jack stands. I used to have the "No, it won't happen to me" mentality, but I found it that yes, it will happen to you.

I was replacing my front springs, and had all the spring out, but the spindle and wheel still attached, with a jack under the front frame rail where it goes under the firewall.
I reached into my fenderwell to do something, and had my wrist in between the top of the tire and the fender, when the car fell off of the jack. With no spring or shock on that side, the car should go down to the ground. BUT, for some reason it stopped.
After I got my wrist unpinned from between the fender and tire, I looked under the car to see why it didn't slam to the pavement seperate my wrist from my arm permenantly.

The jack was now under the clutch fork!!!
The stinkin' clutch fork caught the jack and kept me from having my hand cut off, THE CLUTCH FORK!!!!!!

All work was ceased immediately and a set of jack stands were purchased and used religously to this day.