Weird Noise

Aspylacide

Feb 13, 2015
Hello Guys,

I noticed a weird noise that's been happening when I drive my mustang above 30mph. This is a very hard to describe sound, apparently. I've been looking at many video's on YouTube and every word I would use to describe it sounds completely different in video. So, Here's my best explanation. It sounds like a very quiet hairdryer or winding noise, such as a turbine spooling up (but not high pitched). It's quiet enough that my radio has to be completely off to hear it, even at high speeds. It get's slightly louder as speed increases, and slightly quieter as I speed down. The sound continues if I put the car in neutral and does not change decibel level.

Known issues with the vehicle:

Exhaust leak: Rear, post-cat. And one possibly on the downpipe, but I'm not sure yet.
Power Steering fluid was low for some time, just put some in and now the unit isn't noisy

On a side note:
I'm changing my power steering fluid tomorrow as I noticed it was dirty (brown with a lot of stuff floating around). I just bought power steering fluid from O'riellys (Store Brand). I know the manual says to use Mercon-3 or better. Will this fluid work, or should I return it for something else?

• Sponsors (?)