Well, I sold Eleanor ....

The Hopkinator

Dec 5, 2002
NC
Alas my friends, dont cry . Has it not been fun ? There were several reasons, one being it just attracted too much attention. Im not a complete unsociable ass, but man, its just too much for me. Anyone here (El1nor) building one will soon see what I mean. Im just too low key a person for all the hoopla Eleanor attracts. And she does attract a WHOLE lot. You can barely make it down the road without having to stop, answer questions, let people photograph, etc . Im all for everyone being happy, its just too much for me.

• Sponsors (?)

The Hopkinator said:
Alas my friends, dont cry . Has it not been fun ? There were several reasons, one being it just attracted too much attention. Im not a complete unsociable ass, but man, its just too much for me. Anyone here (El1nor) building one will soon see what I mean. Im just too low key a person for all the hoopla Eleanor attracts. And she does attract a WHOLE lot. You can barely make it down the road without having to stop, answer questions, let people photograph, etc . Im all for everyone being happy, its just too much for me.

WTF

The Hopkinator said:

Damn, is it April 1st already???? Or is this an ad for the Blue Sky travel agency?

:shrug: Yeah, had to do it. No April fools prank. No Ozzum, I actually hated the attention from it. Im (despite some harrumphs about to happen Im sure) a very low key person. The car is beautiful, cool, all that stuff, but truth be told, Im paying off debt and fixing up my 68 SS/RS 396 Camaro. :rolleyes:
Yes, theres a bowtie infiltrator here, but remember I ( my wife) has the 69 fastback so I can still come here and play in yalls sandbox :p . The Shelby was sold to a State Highway Patrol officer, real nice fellow. He got a great deal , I paid off some debt I needed to be rid of , everyones happy. Turns out my bodyman didnt even put one of the cowls back in it, and screwed up a couple other things that the buyer found later .I dont know bodywork, if I did, Ida done it myself and not paid this idiot for what he said was a "great job". His best ever. Yeah whatever. So, the buyer was pretty upset, and I couldve easily just said caveat emptor and walked, but Im not like that. He got estimates on what would be needed to make underneath correct, and I mailed him the full payment :rolleyes: . Was the "right" thing to do. So hes very happy with the car, and Im sure will get a lot of enjoyment from it. Hes leaving it as "Eleanor" for a while, then Im sure one day will return it stock. Prolly gonna sue my bodyman to recover what I sent the fellow to fix the things that were wrong. :shrug: So its no joke.

The Hopkinator said:
:shrug: Yeah, had to do it. No April fools prank. No Ozzum, I actually hated the attention from it. Im (despite some harrumphs about to happen Im sure) a very low key person. The car is beautiful, cool, all that stuff, but truth be told, Im paying off debt and fixing up my 68 SS/RS 396 Camaro. :rolleyes:
Yes, theres a bowtie infiltrator here, but remember I ( my wife) has the 69 fastback so I can still come here and play in yalls sandbox :p . The Shelby was sold to a State Highway Patrol officer, real nice fellow. He got a great deal , I paid off some debt I needed to be rid of , everyones happy. Turns out my bodyman didnt even put one of the cowls back in it, and screwed up a couple other things that the buyer found later .I dont know bodywork, if I did, Ida done it myself and not paid this idiot for what he said was a "great job". His best ever. Yeah whatever. So, the buyer was pretty upset, and I couldve easily just said caveat emptor and walked, but Im not like that. He got estimates on what would be needed to make underneath correct, and I mailed him the full payment :rolleyes: . Was the "right" thing to do. So hes very happy with the car, and Im sure will get a lot of enjoyment from it. Hes leaving it as "Eleanor" for a while, then Im sure one day will return it stock. Prolly gonna sue my bodyman to recover what I sent the fellow to fix the things that were wrong. :shrug: So its no joke.

Most guys get a flashy car to gain attention and to make up for the inadequacys that they suffered from birth. :D I understand they have developed a surgical procedure for that. :rolleyes: You and I on the other hand chose to select a car based solely on personal satisfaction. That's cool. I'll be leaving this show and I'd like to say it was enlightening to have some heated conversations with you and in the end, we walked away with a mutual understanding. Good Luck. :nice:

Hop,

Just to keep us in practice, why not drop the Rat Motor into the 69 FB? That should keep us all sharp for a while!!! (J/K)

Sounds like the story will come to a happy conclusion with the Shelby, hope it's new owner gets it straightened out.

Good luck with the Camaro Project, I know od a fully restored 69 Rs/SS 396/375 up here with Chambered pipes. What a beautiful exhaust tone!

chepsk8 said:
Hop,

Just to keep us in practice, why not drop the Rat Motor into the 69 FB? That should keep us all sharp for a while!!! (J/K)

Sounds like the story will come to a happy conclusion with the Shelby, hope it's new owner gets it straightened out.

QUOTE]
:lol:

Modify a REAL 1968 SUPERSPORT R/S 396 car ???? ARE YOU INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE???

:rlaugh:

Well, at least you kept the cooler car anyway... '70 fastback!!! :nice:

Oh, and as for:
The Hopkinator said:
... but truth be told, Im paying off debt and fixing up my 68 SS/RS 396 Camaro.
As you recall, I was never a fan of Eleanor (always too high profile and kinda grotesque), so this may sound familiar... but please, oh please, don't build yet another overbuilt clown-shoed "pro-touring" first gen Camaro. Those things have become downright common and they're starting to get boring. Actually, among my first "to die for" dream cars from when I was 14 was a neighbor's very fine jet black '69 SS/RS 396 4 speed Camaro. It was a very nice 75K mile driver and I was so sad I couldn't scrape the $1800 he wanted for it (not that mom and dad would've allowed it anyway). That was 1986... :nonono: So, if you're taking requests, go classic, jet black on Cragars or Rallyes please... :flag:

DarkBuddha said:
Actually, among my first "to die for" dream cars from when I was 14 was a neighbor's very fine jet black '69 SS/RS 396 4 speed Camaro. It was a very nice 75K mile driver and I was so sad I couldn't scrape the $1800 he wanted for it :

I know what you mean. In the mid 70's, my brother-in-law was selling his 69, 4-speed Camaro for $1500. The body was straight but the engine was in bad shape as he didn't know how to maintain a car. I couldn't come up with the cash as we just bought our first house.......

I wish I would have had the money I have now ten years ago.

Then again I was only 11. he he heee.

Even then though I could have predicted that with so much interest and availability of performance parts the hobby was going to grow and their wouldn't be enough cars to go around thus making the value of them higher. Even then it was difficult to find clean ones at times and it just couldn't get better in the future now could it especially with these cars aging.

You can say that I've been money hungry and always looking to make an extra buck through out life. Always have evaluated if I and why I need to buy something.

Definatly wasn't your average teenager that as soon as I got money vroom straight to the mall for the brand new jordans.

Sorry to hear you sold it, this is my dads, its not really an eleanor but it has the front end and I think it gets just as much attention as an eleanor would get. We dont mind all the attention though, we just took off the grill a few days ago and paint it black. It gives it a hole new look! it looks awsome, no pics of it yet tho. I did a photoshop and it pretty much looks like this. We also just had it repainted and it glows at cars shows..

before:
View attachment 521925
after (photoshoped):
View attachment 521927
before:
View attachment 521929
after (photoshoped):
View attachment 521931
paint: (we won best mustang in show!!)
View attachment 521932

to me getting all the attention isnt a good enough reason to sell it :) i love driving this car, if you dont mind me asking how much did you get for it?

Hey kids. Dont worry Dark B,, no mods whatsoever other than the tuxedo black paint job coming and the Centerline Autodrags . ( Ive always been a fanatic for those, even way back when Weld made the first type. They are so low profile, and just plain muscular looking with zero look-at-me factor like other rims have. Here is how she sits, and the 427 lurking under the hood.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Was he at the Mustangs Mustangs show at Fantasy of Flight in April?
If so, I took some pics of that car.[/QUOTE]
yes we were ;)

The Hopkinator said:
So, the buyer was pretty upset, and I couldve easily just said caveat emptor and walked, but Im not like that. He got estimates on what would be needed to make underneath correct, and I mailed him the full payment

It's awesome to hear about someone doing the right thing even though he doesn't have to. Because it's the honourable thing to do. I wish people like you were the rule rather than the exception.

Thanks for restoring a bit of faith in the human race. :flag: