Well now thats not supposed to be in there.....liquid inside coil? LOL

Well car started missing on top end- above 5000RPM and running rich- not enough spark was my first guess-

SO I went to go check all my connections- make sure nothing came loose...

Running stock stlye distributor, Mallory coil, and some old Stinger ignition module....

So I go to push the wire onto the coil, to make sure its on- and it feels umm squishy....I take off the wire and there is some kind of liquid in the coil???

Not just damp- I mean the thing is filled to the top with some kind of liquid...feels like oil

Yeah I realize this is definitely not right- but just curious if anyone had seen a coil fail in this manner?

I mean I would think the car wouldnt run at all? LOL

• Sponsors (?)

My old Accel Supercoil used to leak oil a little when temps got really hot. I think it was from being bolted to the hot engine.

Most canister style ignition coils are oil filled.

I had aftermarket coils (from a "doctor" who was supposedly an expert on automotive ignition systems) in both of my cars several years ago. Both eventually leaked oil and failed. Replaced both with OEM-style coils and never had another problem.

I saw a car last summer that had been repaired improperly by a Ford dealer. What's relevant here is the coil was operating at a full 14V, instead of the proper 7V. The oil in the coil had boiled, cracking the top loose. The fan, of course, had spattered it all over the place.

Well car started missing on top end- above 5000RPM and running rich- not enough spark was my first guess-

SO I went to go check all my connections- make sure nothing came loose...

Running stock stlye distributor, Mallory coil, and some old Stinger ignition module....

So I go to push the wire onto the coil, to make sure its on- and it feels umm squishy....I take off the wire and there is some kind of liquid in the coil???

Not just damp- I mean the thing is filled to the top with some kind of liquid...feels like oil

Yeah I realize this is definitely not right- but just curious if anyone had seen a coil fail in this manner?

I mean I would think the car wouldnt run at all? LOL

let me know if you ever want to get rid of the stinger ignition stuff, especially the pieces inside the dizzy!!!!!