Went to see Reagan today

• Sponsors (?)

KnownRider said:
The great majority of historians view the crisis as JFK's finest moment. The agreement to remove the Jupiters was done to allow Kruschev to back down gracefully. Saving face is very important when the world is watching. Kruschev was not demanding anything and got nothing. JFK was in firm control of the situation by then.

Kruschev was given to making grandiose demands and then backing down. Berlin was his first. Cuba was his second. There was not to be a third because he had succeeded in committing political suicide. If it was such a victory, why did the Politburo yank him rather than reward him?

Great topic for a Mustang site! A pleasure talking with you. Take it easy.

Diplomatically it was a GREAT move. Problem is that it was a WAR! You don't act diplomatically in a war, you go for the throat! To me Kennedy's finest hour was tax cuts and his support of Civil Rights.

To quote Alexander Hamilton, "A nation that can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master and deserves one." REgan used that also. As far as I am concerned, KEnnedy made a bad move. He should have takent he risk and demanded Kruschev gank the missiles. We had the advantage and Krushev wasn't going to be the first one to press the proverbial button.

Diplomatically it was a GREAT move. Problem is that it was a WAR! You don't act diplomatically in a war, you go for the throat! To me Kennedy's finest hour was tax cuts and his support of Civil Rights.

Going for the throat meant mushroom clouds over Miami and Washington.

Kennedy did indeed enact an impressive tax cut. As for Civil Rights, he was too timid to take on the Dixiecrats. The Voting Rights Act, which had languished under him, was actually promoted and passed by LBJ.

KnownRider said:

Going for the throat meant mushroom clouds over Miami and Washington.

Kennedy did indeed enact an impressive tax cut. As for Civil Rights, he was too timid to take on the Dixiecrats. The Voting Rights Act, which had languished under him, was actually promoted and passed by LBJ.

I'd say that may be a drastic thing to say. I think Lemay's idea (which was thought to be suicide) of saying "Get them out or we will take them out." would have been the right move. It was strong and decisive. Look at the blockade. They tried to be diplomatic with that! It was a blockade but no no, that's to strong of wording, let's call it a "Quarantine." Kennedy was a charismatic guy (not that I'd know first hand, he preceded my time obviously) but a poor leader. He supported good things, but didn't know how or when to be strong. I don't think Nixon would have been much better and LBJ wasn't impressive on many fronts either.

Look, Kruschev was weak and Kruschev knew as well as anyone else that Kennedy was going to press the button first, but he'd glady press it second. He knew that he'd die jsut as quickly as Kennedy would if he pressed it. I'd say that while it was the closest to nuclear war we've ever been, and it was "close," it wasn't going to happen without Kruschev being disposed of rather quickly.