Werid noise...Need help

Hey everyone. After I drive my car for awhile I get this weird noise when I go around corners. It's very hard to describe, but it sounds almost like a rubber rubbing combined with a metalic grind, with possibly a little baby seal bark mixed in. It only makes the noise after I have been driving for a significant period of time, otherwise its perfectly quiet. My dad thinks its coming from the rear end but I personally can't say for sure.

I changed the rear differential lubricant yesterday but that didn't seem to help. I haven't done any rear end work before so I don't know what sort of things to be looking for, but the old lube didn't have too much junk in it or anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Generally it's only at lower speeds, and only when the car has been driven for awhile. Every once in awhile I will drive around 70-80 miles to visit my family and by the time I get there its making the noise. After the typical 15 mile commute though it's quiet. It tends to be worst when making hard turns after being stopped or nearly stopped.

I had a similar problem... Noise was coming from differential. There's a tsb about it, want kind of fluid did you refill the differential with? Did you use ford friction modifier? My 02 called for 75w140. I used 1.75 qts and a bottle of Ford addititive, problem solved.

If fluid change + additive doesn't work for you it could be the clutch packs going out inside the rear end.

Do you get the noise at low speeds while turning sharply, say into a parking space?

Hey everyone. After I drive my car for awhile I get this weird noise when I go around corners. It's very hard to describe, but it sounds almost like a rubber rubbing combined with a metalic grind, with possibly a little baby seal bark mixed in. It only makes the noise after I have been driving for a significant period of time, otherwise its perfectly quiet. My dad thinks its coming from the rear end but I personally can't say for sure.

I changed the rear differential lubricant yesterday but that didn't seem to help. I haven't done any rear end work before so I don't know what sort of things to be looking for, but the old lube didn't have too much junk in it or anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure the originates from the rear of the car. By the sounds of it you have a power steering issue. The fact that it occurs when the vehicle has been driven for quite a while (is hot), the ruber/ubbing noise and the metalic grind are classic signs of a power steering pump thats done for. The baby seal bark would occur when you make a sharp turn and the engine RPM goes up, the belt is slipping essentially the pump won't allow the belt to turn at the accellerated speed that the engine is turning at.

IT should be somewhat noisy when you crank the steering wheel hard with it parked.

Usually A differential will howl or just down right explode-(rarely). you wouldnt have rubber/ rubbing if it was a differential.

I may be completely wrong, but thats would be my first insinct if I heard what you are describing.