What A Bad 8" Looks Like

n8rfastback

May 28, 2014
Tore my housing down today and found some nasty bits in it.

Havent had it open before. Pulling it to rebuild with better gear ratio and locker.

a37233bf5c8dbcbebd315b186aece47c.jpg

7eeb1e20127ac65339d51e4899b535c5.jpg

3293cf8b9a06612cb6b164d0f0b67e38.jpg

984c4154023f6295ca616a9fed4648a7.jpg

Nate

• Sponsors (?)

Denture cream will not fix those teeth! How could it have not been making lots of noise?
The pinion support (bearing, crush collar or shims) must be awful to have engaged the ends of the ring. Or was the differential so loose that it could slide back so far? Further diagnosis will be interesting. That is just not supposed to happen.

It had some slack in it for sure. It was not making noise though. All the bits were down in the oil, and no magnet in there anywhere either. I'm really surprised it didn't blow up years ago. The axle bearings and seals were WAY sloppy though.

I put the new axle seals in today and got the third member bolted up. I replaced all the old nuts with nylock nuts and used permatex for diffs. Gonna let it set up over night and then tomorrow some time ill fill her up and get my wheels back on. Cant wait to test drive it!

Well I test drove it a couple times the last 2 days. I'm very impressed. The new 3.55 gears are an awesome ratio for the 5 speed. I have been easy on it though cause its very cold out and I need to break in the gears and the locker. The powertrax manual says it'll be noisy the first 50 miles or so, and when its cold out and the gear oil is cold. The locker works well, its very loud right now but I'm sure when it warms up after break in itll be fine.