What are the symptoms of a bad oil pump?

Silver95Stint

Oct 28, 2003
England
I have been having some problems lately with my 93 fox body. It seems like the more and more I drive it throughout the day, the more and more it surges when I'm driving. I let it sit idle for about 10 minutes to warm up, and when I came back outside the car cut off. My Check oil light is on, but when I check the oil in the car, it still reads full. The oil pressure guage can read normal on one stretch of the road, and 2 minutes later read well below the "N" on the normal. How much do Oil pumps cost? How hard would the job be? Any comments or replies or greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

It could be either the oil pump or bearing's. Hate to say it but it sound's like your in need of a rebuild.
Now that I think about it more though...IF it was your bearing's (Probably Rod Bearing's) you'd probably be using a noticable amount of oil and when the oil pressure drop's, or if you have been driving around for a while worn out rod or main bearing's usually will cause a noticable Knock.
If you don't have much cash flow the BEST thing to do would be too pull the engine and throw new bearing's and an oil pump in her. Before doing this do a compression test on the engine too see if it's still worthy. When taking the old pump out take the top inspection plate off it and check inside for scouring and wear....if it's bad you'll know it was probably your oil pump.
Also consider changing your oil pressure sending unit FIRST to see if that's the cause of your oil pressure reading all over the place. It woudn't be the cause of your engine surging...but who know's you could have too different problems.

How many mile's are on the engine????

Shon

It was also mentioned above to throw a HV oil pump in her. There will be tone's of mixed opinon's on this but DONT do it. A stock or even mild 302 (Any mild engine For that matter) will not benifit from one. A HV oil pump is BEST seen in big power radical street or strip engines and loose clearenced engines. HV oil pumps rob power (moderate amount), and tend to raise the oil temp as well. If you throw a HV pump in an engine with a stock capicity oil pan the pump will tend to suck it low or dry if at MID to high RPM's for an extended amount of time. A standard volume pump is all your engine need's...they put out good pressure and all the oil your engine requires+.

Shon