Engine What Could This Oil Be From?

billytoad631

Sep 18, 2016
What's up guys. New to the forum here and to the foxbody world as well. Just got myself a 91 and a few weeks after I bought it I noticed this oil with what looks like chunks of gasket. I'm thinking that it spit out the intake gasket? But I'm not 100% sure being that I don't know these 5.0s to well yet. Any suggestions on what else it could be before I order the gasket set online?

d6662bbdab0488f54a80b2c4f0327650.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Can you take a pic zoomed back a bit so we can get our bearings. I know it's somewhere near the fuel injectors, so I'm assuming I'm looking at the area where the upper bolts to the lower?

In that case, the pooling oil could be oil being sucked into the intake manifold for some reason. Removing the lower intake could give you a better idea if that is your source. But that's a guess as I still don't know where we are looking at here

Can you take a pic zoomed back a bit so we can get our bearings. I know it's somewhere near the fuel injectors, so I'm assuming I'm looking at the area where the upper bolts to the lower?

In that case, the pooling oil could be oil being sucked into the intake manifold for some reason. Removing the lower intake could give you a better idea if that is your source. But that's a guess as I still don't know where we are looking at here

From further away. Driver side towards the back of the engine

077010de56933fc312f9962aa74d0070.jpg

Looks like oil accumulating below the #8 injector.

Could it be sucking oil up the pcv hose for some reason? Sucking it up into the intake and its leaking down out of a fitting maybe?

Looks like oil accumulating below the #8 injector.

Could it be sucking oil up the pcv hose for some reason? Sucking it up into the intake and its leaking down out of a fitting maybe?

But If that's the case then why am I finding chunks of gasket material? I don't think that would cause the gasket to break up would it? Unless that was just left there by whoever was in there last

Take another further away pointing to it?

A good way to see gasket "blowout" like that would be running synthetic oil when normal oil was previously ran (for the duration of the vehicle).

Yank your valve covers, I bet thats going to be it. Once you pull the upper intake you can get a bettrer view of the scenery. Look at your lower intake bolts thats about the only place oil can come out, around the lower intake bolts, gasget where it meets the head/lower intake or the valve covers, unless you have massive blow by but then it would be evident in places like the oil filler hose to tb and dip stick tube.

before you start tearing it apoart, sop up all the oil with paper toewls and spray some foot power in the area. Go back after several minutes or so after driving itand see where the foot powder is oil soaked. It will tell you if its a valve cover, itnake gasket upper to lower gasket.

Reactions: 1 users
That some good advice, btw, what intake are you using, has it been recently removed? Whats you setup?

I'm running the BBK intake manifold. I was told the intake and other upgrades/rebuild has about 20k on them. Not sure when it was last pulled apart though but I'm assuming 20k miles ago was the last time everything was apart

Little update on my issue here. Pulled the upper intake off yesterday and there was a puddle of oil in it. Any ideas? Was thinking maybe something to do with the PCV? (This picture was just with the top plate off. I ended up taking the whole thing off after this picture)
d50d8720351691aee26471359529573f.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Is the baffle installed on the lower where the PCV is located?

I would check both vacuum lines from the oil fill tube and the pcv and see if you have oil dripping out of them. Hopefully, if that's the case, you can run a quality catch can to lessen the issue.

Is this engine a stock 302?

Is the baffle installed on the lower where the PCV is located?

I would check both vacuum lines from the oil fill tube and the pcv and see if you have oil dripping out of them. Hopefully, if that's the case, you can run a quality catch can to lessen the issue.

Is this engine a stock 302?

Pretty much with a mildly built top end. Nothing over the top just an average 302 build. Stock bottom end. The car already has a catch can installed on it though

If that is the BBK SSi that intake was known to have all types of issues.

I know the holley systemax has a poor pcv design and is known for sucking oil like what you're seeing in your intake here.

That could be the issue or you may have something bigger going on here.

If that is the BBK SSi that intake was known to have all types of issues.

I know the holley systemax has a poor pcv design and is known for sucking oil like what you're seeing in your intake here.

That could be the issue or you may have something bigger going on here.

I was tossing around the idea of getting rid of the BBK and getting the edelbrock intake to match my edelbrock heads.. This just gives me one more reason lol I haven't heard the best about these BBK set ups