What Year Did Ford Start Using A Better Sterio?

• Sponsors (?)

2000 was the last year of the single DIN head unit, they switched to a double DIN dash in the Mustangs in 2001. I had a factory 2000 setup for a while and pulled it in favor of an aftermarket head unit. There isn't a good factory head unit for these cars IMO. Just get yourself a decent Alpine or Kenwood. You can have bluetooth audio and all kinds of great stuff. Just a heads up, you cars are old enough that the factory speakers probably need to be replaced too.

Reactions: 1 user
2000 was the last year of the single DIN head unit, they switched to a double DIN dash in the Mustangs in 2001. I had a factory 2000 setup for a while and pulled it in favor of an aftermarket head unit. There isn't a good factory head unit for these cars IMO. Just get yourself a decent Alpine or Kenwood. You can have bluetooth audio and all kinds of great stuff. Just a heads up, you cars are old enough that the factory speakers probably need to be replaced too.

Agreed. I have a 2003 and it originally came with the 6-disc changer head unit...after a couple years, it wouldn't eject CDs properly. Very common with those units. I changed it out for a Kenwood touchscreen/nav/DVD/etc and that was nice...until it got stolen. Then I put a Kenwood Excelon single-DIN in and that's been in there for the past few years now. Sounds better than the factory unit did.

Agreed. I have a 2003 and it originally came with the 6-disc changer head unit...after a couple years, it wouldn't eject CDs properly. Very common with those units. I changed it out for a Kenwood touchscreen/nav/DVD/etc and that was nice...until it got stolen. Then I put a Kenwood Excelon single-DIN in and that's been in there for the past few years now. Sounds better than the factory unit did.

Agreed, I don't know about the 2005 and above Mustangs radios, but the SN95 radio head units are crap. The speakers are okay, all my speakers work really good and I have not blown any of them YET. This is how my journey started for a better sound system, when my head unit went out, the radio worked but CD stop playing and ejecting. I went to the Ford dealership and asked how much would it cost for a stock radio unit for my car. I was so gullible in thinking well since my car is a 2003 Mach1 it should be cheap and the answer is nope, the Ford people said $600.00 for the radio and that's not including installation. I ran right over to the local car radio shop and got a touch screen Pioneer, that Sirius ready and has Bluetooth radio options. I can tell you best deal of my life paid 200.00 for it and 60 for installation. Its the best thing I got on the car, I can call people and text all hand free not mention play my Pandora and use my navigation (Waze) on my cell phone at the same D*mn time. While the music playing, it says the directions through the speakers as well. Then to top it off I got a J&L amp and 2 ten inch sub woofers in a box in my car, boy does it pound. I do like going fast but I, really like to cruise, I have nice pipes and nice system, which makes my car a real head turner.

Hay man I got your post on the other thread were you to talking to me or someone else about posting pics because you like the color.

OOPS! I meant to include the quote:
My answer was "still waiting"(for a better stereo).

OOPS! I meant to include the quote:
My answer was "still waiting"(for a better stereo).

LOL okay and to honestly answer that question, I think the majority of Mustang owner can really care less about the performance of the radio versus the performance of the cars. Lets face if you want a better or cooler radio you probably going to have to go aftermarket. When most Mustang enthusiast or professional talk about their car the radio is hardly or not mention at all. When It comes to resale value or authenticity of the car, the radio is usually overlooked. They always talk about original engine, original tranny and original interior meaning seats and trim. In a nutshell if you like the radio in your car and it works find for you then keep it, but if you want a radio that does more and has more bells and whistles then go after market and keep the original radio in storage.