Wheel Upgrade Question

As I am new to this forum I was hoping to get input before making an investment in wheels & tires. My car is a 1993 LX coupe 4 cylinder conversion, suspension was not completed when I bought the car. Car has the 7.5 4 lug rear end with stock pony rims & 225 tires (yes I know I need to upgrade to 8.8 with 373 gear, eibach drag launch kit, lakewoods, or another brand , etc) . I want to change the tires and wheels to Weld Draglites as I had them on my 1987 hatchback. Can I put weld draglites on this7.5 rear end taking into consideration I will switch to an 8.8 4 lug pattern in the future, I do not want to have to buy new rims. Will the rims bolt up to both the 7.5 and 8.8. Can someone explain the backspacing as I do not understand it. If you are able to suggest a rim size, backspacing I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Was not sure how to edit my original thread to add this info. Not looking to roll the fenders or beat in the inner fender wells. Car is not a drag car, daily driver and some weekend fun. I believe my last 5.0 had 255x60x15 on the rear, not sure if they were 15x10 or 15x8

pictures of my 1987 that came with the Weld Draglites on it. I am looking to have a similar look on my
Passenger Side.jpg
1993 coupe.
carpicture.jpg

The 4 bolt pattern on the end of the axles is the same with the 7.5 and 8.8 differentials. And for the same year, the assemblies should be the same width. So the rims will fit both.

If you have a 4cyl, or even a mild 302, and are not planning on slicks or drag racing, why do you need to upgrade from a 7.5"? How are you going to generate the torque and traction to tear up the 7.5"? I am picturing a 4 valve head, lots of RPM, NO2 or a turbo and power shifts on drag radials to create enough abuse to really hurt it.

Thank you for the info on the wheels. The car is a 4 cylinder conversion,V8 mexican block, forged internals, aluminum heads, much more. When I bought the car the seller supplied $9,000 in Summit receipts for the motor and he never drove the car. The motor put out 400HP to rear wheels on the dyno. I don't plan on drag racing it but the gear ratio in this 7.5 is terrible and I am afraid that I will break it with one good dump of the clutch. But for the time being the 7.5 is suitable for my needs.
005.JPG

Now THAT can stress the 7.5". I would collect/build the right 8.8" and then try to break the 7.5" with old tires for the destructive fun of it. The scrap value will still be the same.

Sorry I cannot help on the exact specs you need on the rims.

Yes, the same wheels will fit the 7.5 and 8.8. I'd suggest 15x10 with a 6.5" BS.
Thanks Sharad. Will that big of a rim and BS cause the tire to rub on the inside fender at all? I am looking to put a 255x60x15 tire only, nothing bigger. I don't want the tire to stick outside the car and not wanting to roll the fender or beat the inside of the fender well in. Thanks

Thanks Sharad. Will that big of a rim and BS cause the tire to rub on the inside fender at all? I am looking to put a 255x60x15 tire only, nothing bigger. I don't want the tire to stick outside the car and not wanting to roll the fender or beat the inside of the fender well in. Thanks

You can use a 15x8 with a 5.5" BS, but the 15x10 will sit the tire flatter on the ground. With just a 255, you won't have to clearance anywhere if it's stock height. You will want to remove the quad shocks, and if it's lowered, I would roll the quarters.