Wheels And Traction

84Ttop I must be missing something.TT5.0ca and I said his best option are drag radials, you said you disagree,but then said your 675hp S550 hooks with DRs as did a handful of 450-500hp Foxes you had . Sounds like DRs work for you.Where is that part where you disagree?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hmmm, you hardly see the difference in an IRS v. a live axle? Ya think maybe Ford is on to something with that totally different independent rear suspension in your S550?

Too many factors here to make a blanket statement either way, I'll give you that but, I'd bet I'll be right more than wrong here: Condition of the roadway is hugely variable, the power you are making and how you are making it (for example a TVS car is going to have more trouble hooking up than an equivalent centri car), the kind of suspension and handling you can live with on the road (running DRs all the time ain't a recipe for strafing the roundabouts).

TT I see a big difference between IRS and a solid rear,however what I apparently can't see the difference between you and 84Ttop. I meant to respond to him not you. You and I are in agreement and we both recommended Drag Radials to the OP. 84Ttop quoted both of our posts recommending Drag Radials, said he disagrees with us, but then went on to say how well Drag Radials worked on his S550 and some Foxes he had.I meant to ask him what he disagrees about but incorrectly addressed my post to you. Post corrected Sorry for my confusion.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured you were talking to him anyway, nbd. I've never been able to get a Fox to hook up with any tire, any power adder, on the stock suspension and I had two of the things. :) Drs are the only option here that's in any way realistic but, their capability isn't to be overestimated. Frankly, I found DRs to be more sensitive to heat and prep that the slicks I use now, at least with the brands I have tried.

Just to update, things are pretty swell with the new tires and wheels.

I am using up my old 255/40/19s on the front end (Mickey Thompsons... not the good kind, though) and have had to adjust my driving for some tramlining. I will give it a few more weeks and put some proper Continental 245/45/19s up front and that should fix that issue. It looks good, but it's not an ideal setup because the front end is sitting about an inch lower than it would if I had 245/45 up front.

Other thing I had to adjust is for the amount of traction I am getting now vs. how little traction I was getting. I used to have to compensate for fishtailing/rear end sliding out on me because I couldn't get traction. The current battle with the steering wheel is how fast the car is ripping through gears (7500 and 40mph come up quicker than they used to) coupled with keeping the car straight because the rear is planted so well now that I have to really hold on to the steering wheel and keep it straight.

Just my observations in case anyone is interested in making similar changes.

I confirmed the overall ride height in the front end dropped 1" with the change to 255/40/19 up front (changed oil this weekend, the low profile jack barely fit under). Going back to 245/45/19 on the front after the tread on these 255s is used up.

For the track, some 305 drag radials for the rear should work for me. Nittos are $250 a piece.

Last edited: