Which X Pipe?

stang1995

Dec 15, 2011
first like to say hello im new. so i have a 1995 5.0 mustang. it has stock shorty headers and a stock h pipe. it had side exhaust with magnaflows i believe and it just wasn't loud enough for me. so i recently got the flowmaster 1 chambers or 10 series. love the nice rumble they give but once they get past certain rmps they almost get quiet. im not saying i like drone but i would like to hear the exhuast a little more. so i've been debating on x or h pipe and i didn't want to attract too many cops around town so i decided to go with the x pipe. it is queiter than the h, correct me if im wrong, and it screams at high rmps. plus i don't mind the raspier not it gives. it just seems that everyone around has flowmasters and an h pipe so i was wanting to try something different. so to my question, which x pipe should i get? I know there is the BBK X, Pypes, upr and others. i've heard a little about a tru x and a stamped x. so basically which x pipe should i get? which one would sound the best as well as which is a good quality x pipe. by the way looking to get an off road x.

• Sponsors (?)

Ran a Magnaflow O/R X w/ Magnapack catback on my old '94 - absolutely screamed when you stomped on it and was (fairly) mellow while just cruising around or at part/light throttle. Sound is such a subjective/personal preference though, so listen to a few different types in person if you can first, before purchasing.

The Magnaflow X-pipe design/fitment was spot on, probably costs a little more than the options you already mentioned, but it's quality stuff.

G'luck deciding on whatever X-pipe you go with... :cheers:

would i have any major problems installing the upr o/r x? my car is an auto and like i said before the upr website for the 95 mustang x pipe it said that it fits manual transmissions. has anyone experience this x pipe with an auto before?

Bassani has it's own special sound. They are a top notch company and make very high quality products. You definitely get your moneys worth. They also make amazing bike exhausts too.

Here is my favorite example of their unique tone on their x pipes:

the bassani x is a really good sounding x pipe. just really wasnt wanting to put a ton of money in the midpipe. which would i get the most bang for my buck. like i said before i liked the upr peice but it doesn't fit autos so that rules upr out for me. so what would be some of my other opitions. looking for the best sound and quality for the money.

the bassani x is a really good sounding x pipe. just really wasnt wanting to put a ton of money in the midpipe. which would i get the most bang for my buck. like i said before i liked the upr peice but it doesn't fit autos so that rules upr out for me. so what would be some of my other opitions. looking for the best sound and quality for the money.

Honestly, you're not going to see too much difference in HP from brand-x to brand-y. To clarify... a 2.5 in. from MAC won't net you a readable performance difference than one from Bassani. If you're using shorties, I would stick with 2.5 in regardless of what your build is. If you're running LTs and have a screaming, high revving motor then I might look at something larger (scavenging is done by the headers). All that leaves you for choice consideration is quality. A catted will sound like a catted and a non-catted... well... you get it.

So choose your poison based on workmanship and materials. Stainless or something else. I wouldn't spend too much time obsessing about which one will give you the most power as they're all g0ing to be pretty close to one another.

Honestly, you're not going to see too much difference in HP from brand-x to brand-y. To clarify... a 2.5 in. from MAC won't net you a readable performance difference than one from Bassani. If you're using shorties, I would stick with 2.5 in regardless of what your build is. If you're running LTs and have a screaming, high revving motor then I might look at something larger (scavenging is done by the headers). All that leaves you for choice consideration is quality. A catted will sound like a catted and a non-catted... well... you get it.

So choose your poison based on workmanship and materials. Stainless or something else. I wouldn't spend too much time obsessing about which one will give you the most power as they're all g0ing to be pretty close to one another.
really wasn't concerned over which would give the most hp. just looking which one would sound the best with my flowmaster 10s. ive heard that pypes wasnt that good. and ive heard that bbk is good fitment just some people dont like the way they sound with flowmasters. but since i have the 1 chambers and the mufflers being smaller than the 40's i figured that the x pipe would sound better with them then.

I really haven't noticed much sound difference from one pipe to another with the exception of a comparison between catted and non.

The X-pipes that have the square 'box' connecting the the two side seem to be little throatier vs. the ones that are cut and welded.

I run the Bassani Catted X. The reason I picked that one is because I wanted a quality piece and the rest of my exhaust is Bassani. I thought it was a good way to ensure proper fitment. :shrug:

It comes in multiple pieces so it needs to be installed by a competent person, but the Dr. Gas X pipe, which I previously have had on my car, is a fantastic piece.

Dr. Gas x pipe? never heard of it. just looked some vids up on youtube and i was very impressed on how it sounds with flowmasters. it doesn't even sound like any other x pipe i have ever heard. where could i order one for a good price?