Who Gets To Say, "i Told You So"?

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
PVC air lines went kaput last night. Air temps in the 60s.

pipe1.jpg
pipe2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I didn't, so I won't,
Years ago I was working in a shop that rented space for you to work on you own car and they had a huge screw compressor and pvc lines and 120 psi. one exploded, I mean EXPLODED! Did't hurt anybody but did break a windshield. The place where it failed was in the sun for most of the day and that was blamed for the failure. This was back in the 70's so I'm sure we have better pvc pipe making stuff now.

It won't be me either, Cause I'm the guy w/ 50' of the stuff jammed into 32".
E0CF9C15-55A8-465B-973F-75B49FCB25F6_zpspn03q7zz.jpg
Yeah I remember, and I also think I remember us shrugging our shoulders as if it was a non-issue. I'm just glad I wasn't in the garage when it happened. I don't think I could admit to everyone that I screamed like a b*tch while simultaneously soiling myself.

93093-Stubbs-scared-reaction-gif-Hap-EF6n.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I remember, and I also think I remember us shrugging our shoulders as if it was a non-issue. I'm just glad I wasn't in the garage when it happened. I don't think I could admit to everyone that I screamed like a b*tch while simultaneously soiling myself.

93093-Stubbs-scared-reaction-gif-Hap-EF6n.gif
I've had several leaks over the years,.....never an "explosion". But if it ever did I'm sure I'd be the same way. It helps that one of my fittings leaks all of the air out of the line system, so it never maintains a pressurized state anyway.

I've had several leaks over the years,.....never an "explosion". But if it ever did I'm sure I'd be the same way. It helps that one of my fittings leaks all of the air out of the line system, so it never maintains a pressurized state anyway.
Yeah, 99% of the time mine was at 0 psi. For whatever reason I left the compressor on over the weekend.

I just had a buddy send me a picture on facebook of him in the ER - a PVC airline exploded and sent shrapnel into his face and messed him up good.

...Another buddy is an HVAC tech and is donating some copper line to the cause so I can get back up and running.

Prob Sched 40 then.

Sched 80 is a bit thicker and take more internal pressure
I think so. I have some really thin stuff that I used for irrigation but this was the standard stuff. Good news is a buddy in HVAC is giving me a bunch of scraps so I should have all new copper plumbing installed soon. :)

Prob Sched 40 then.

Sched 80 is a bit thicker and take more internal pressure

Yep. 80 will last 9 forevers. A machine shop I worked in for ten years had a schedule 80 pvc header that stayed at 160 psi. No problems ever. The building was demo'd before the header failed.