Why A Fox?

And I feel, they were a main reason for the modern day "muscle car renaissance". The aftermarket exploded with mustang parts. That market had been stagnant for over 20 years. Magazines like 5.0,Mustangs and Fast Fords,etc became huge! Until then there were just basic Hotrod,CarCraft,Popular Hotrodding,and a bunch of fringe rags to read. They all were about the SBC. This platform is still iconic and promotes discussion(love or hate). How many F bodies of that generation do you see? I haven't seen one up here in a long time. I see foxbodies often At shows,at the track,and occasionally tooling down the highway. As far as value goes...never going to hit the same "value system" as a 60's muscle car. Still going to escalate in value though. I still get lots of comments/thumbs up from guys in my generation. Lots of "man I had one of those when.." or "I always wanted one of those when.." 20-30 year olds don't understand that. They may like or dislike but they didn't grow up in that era....and the over 60 crowd doesn't really care either(they had their muscle cars and nothing compares for them). Oh well I love them and don't really give a rat's red bunion hole what others really think(until I sell it lol).
I agree. They will never see prices that the silver age muscle cars enjoy, but i never fail to get a thumbs up, or nice car compliment each and every single time she goes out.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Not dismissing the impact of the car, it's just not nor will ever be a 69 camaro or a 65 fastback. It will never have the impact or world wide appeal that the early pony cars had. There are too many factors, including socio economic ones that made early mustangs and camaros what they are. Will foxbody mustangs become more valuable over time? Sure, that is obvious, but I still think it will always be a cult enthusiast car and our community will be the ones setting the value of the car.

I agree. They will never see prices that the silver age muscle cars enjoy, but i never fail to get a thumbs up, or nice car compliment each and every single time she goes out.

Like I said. Age lends perspective. In 1987 I was driving a 70 mach.. and there was a kid in town with a brand new blue LX 5.0 with nitrous.. and I couldn't touch him. 69 camaros? Back then there was one on every street corner. I pis sed 69 camaros. The reason they are worth so much now is most of them were wrecked, crushed, and made into Hyundais. If there was a 5.0 in town with a bottle, it was a bad b!tch. No way a 30 something could wrap their head around the nostalgia of that... and that is precisely why they'll never understand the value falling in with muscle cars. People pay for nostalgia.

If you are too young to remember, it was all about the 5.0... this is what the talk was like... "almost beat a 5.0", "5.0 wouldn't race me", "was pulling a 5.0 but ran out of track", "will it hang with a 5.0?" ... ... the 5.0 was the measuring stick.

I remember the mid to late 90s when the 5.0 still was the measuring stick. Heard that sort of talk everywhere.

This was when GM started stuffing LT and LS motors in their cars.

Still, I feel the fox will slwars have cult following. I don't see too many musicians or NFL players signing a multimillion dollar contract and then going out to buy a Fox mustNg. Mass appeal will always be those 64-69 cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Like I said. Age lends perspective. In 1987 I was driving a 70 mach.. and there was a kid in town with a brand new blue LX 5.0 with nitrous.. and I couldn't touch him. 69 camaros? Back then there was one on every street corner. I pis sed 69 camaros. The reason they are worth so much now is most of them were wrecked, crushed, and made into Hyundais. If there was a 5.0 in town with a bottle, it was a bad b!tch. No way a 30 something could wrap their head around the nostalgia of that... and that is precisely why they'll never understand the value falling in with muscle cars. People pay for nostalgia.
Agreed

When people my son's age get out of college, and start coming into money, the foxbody will bring that money. It will have the mystique for them the way 60's cars did for me. Like I said. It's a cycle. Hide and watch.

I had rivaled Foxbody Mustangs in my younger days too. I would hunt them in my 455 Cutlass. That Cutlass had way more potential then my young dumb ass knew how to harness. Anyway, that car is long gone from me now.

Why did I by a Foxbody? I wanted to have a manual trans car that was a good platform for mods. Hard to beat a Foxbody in that regard.

I had rivaled Foxbody Mustangs in my younger days too. I would hunt them in my 455 Cutlass. That Cutlass had way more potential then my young dumb ass knew how to harness. Anyway, that car is long gone from me now.

Why did I by a Foxbody? I wanted to have a manual trans car that was a good platform for mods. Hard to beat a Foxbody in that regard.
My son has a hard on for 70-72 cutlass

Some things you never forget. One day in the staging lanes I had the hood up tinkering. Next lane over was a guy with a mustang doing same. Another guy walks between us and looks under our hoods. Turns to his friend and says, "look, ford guy is running ac delco and the olds guy is running autolites". Giggles and walks away

Some things you never forget. One day in the staging lanes I had the hood up tinkering. Next lane over was a guy with a mustang doing same. Another guy walks between us and looks under our hoods. Turns to his friend and says, "look, ford guy is running ac delco and the olds guy is running autolites". Giggles and walks away

One of my memorable moments was taking $100 from a kid with a brand new formula 350 firebird in about 91-92. With a 79 foxbody. With a carburetor...I'll never forget that. He was laughing at how bad he was gonna beat me... never knew what hit him.

Then, again, same night with a GTA Trans Am. I put it on him so bad he tried to buy my car!

Too bad street racing got screwed up by the fast and furious crowd. Our strip right outside the city limits never saw an accident...:nonono:

Got waxed by an srt4 neon with a hair dryer,literally grandma's car, l did the old 'smoke the tires through two gears sideways' thing thinking he was easy money. Talked him into double or noth'n and bearly nosed him. I promise not to let that happen again.
Why do y'all think they brought back the camaro and the challenger. Mustang sales ruled and the rest is still make'n history, isn't it the longest running continuous nameplate next only to the suburban?

When people my son's age get out of college, and start coming into money, the foxbody will bring that money. It will have the mystique for them the way 60's cars did for me. Like I said. It's a cycle. Hide and watch.

Early foxes are 30ish years old. Are you telling me the desire and cost is there for a fox now the way a 65 mustang was at 30? No way. I guess time will tell. When the fox reaches 40 if it's bringing classic mustang $ I'll buy you a case or a bottle of whatever poison is your pleasure.

I remember the mid to late 90s when the 5.0 still was the measuring stick. Heard that sort of talk everywhere.

This was when GM started stuffing LT and LS motors in their cars.

Still, I feel the fox will slwars have cult following. I don't see too many musicians or NFL players signing a multimillion dollar contract and then going out to buy a Fox mustNg. Mass appeal will always be those 64-69 cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock LT1 trans am vs my bolt on geared LX=major douche ownage. The look on his face when I blew by him was priceless. That was early 2000s when the fast and furious crowd was really taking off too. That wasn't even fair. Had to watch out for the worked wrxs and evos though, they would own you at the lights.

Early foxes are 30ish years old. Are you telling me the desire and cost is there for a fox now the way a 65 mustang was at 30? No way. I guess time will tell. When the fox reaches 40 if it's bringing classic mustang $ I'll buy you a case or a bottle of whatever poison is your pleasure.

A 65 mustang is 51 years old. Like I said.. it's a cycle. Save your money, I don't drink cheap.

A 65 mustang is 51 years old. Like I said.. it's a cycle. Save your money, I don't drink cheap.
I don't think it'll ever approach the same cult status. Although they both (the 1st gen, and the fox) share a "first" status of sorts, the 65 car will always be the first of the first's.

I had a 65 GT. In several arenas, that car compared to a stock 5.0 GT is pale by comparison. It's slow, It drives like a raft in a typhoon, the brakes suck. and it's full of wind noise and rattles.

Now,......if there was a perfect 91 Gt sitting next to a perfect 65 GT FB,....and they were similarly priced, which one would you take?

I think all ICE cars that fit into the collectible or hobby category will become more coveted as the next ten years come into play.
Germany just mandated that all ICE engines will be not allowed in their country by 2030, and the EPA has a running mandate that all new cars offered by a mfg must meet a 50mpg average by 2025 here in the US.

Electric cars will become the replacement. Plugging them in will replace filling them up.

At one time, I'dve had a problem with that. But after driving a Tesla I don't see it as a problem. If I'm not dead, and have the monster in 10 years, I could see putting an electric motor in him too.

I don't know how you can compare the money spent on 60's stangs at 30 years old to fox's at 30. I guess if you figure the cost of living in 1977 and the cost of living today, gas in '77 was what, 66 cents a gallon and today it's over 2 bucks a gallon. Just that alone says the fox's are dirt cheap.
For the sake of a argument, the last Barrett Jackson auction I watched, I think it was Las Vagus and I think it was a 2 or 3 year old Roush stage 3 mustang only got up to 21k, I don't think it sold, not sure. I say who cares what they are worth, buy one throw some go fast goodies at it, have some fun and when it ain't fast enough for ya sell you first born and throw some more go fast goodies at it.

Consider the times, too. A lot of the "nostalgia" for 1960s cars came from the emissions/mileage/safety trifecta that hit in the 1970s, and the subsequent inability of American car brands to adjust. If you bought a '69 Mustang in 1980, were you pining for your lost youth, or just buying a car that could get out of its own way? Considering that we didn't start seriously challenging horsepower figures from the late 60s until the mid 90s, there was a long time when the fastest cars you could buy were either exotic supercars or old beaters.

That perception has carried on, even if it's no longer true, and inflates the "nostalgia factor" for the prices people pay for those old cars. That inflation won't apply to any car made in the late 70s or later.

I actually think that the "teens" will be another great classic car era as @madmike1157's glorious future becomes real.