Why Can't I Tig/and Why Does This Look So Bad?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
This:
temporary_zpsc75ff553.jpg

This god awful result is what I get everytime. I know that 90% of the is technique, and I lack technique. I manage to completely weld the seam w/o burn through, but it seems that everyone of these I do end up looking like this. Then theres the monster on the right. I blame that on the fact that the aluminized coating wasn't ground off the one tube, and it just went all to hell.
What is the setting supposed to be on that regulator, and where is the ball supposed to float in the tube, and how is it checked?

• Sponsors (?)

your running to cold on the first weld and more filler on the second best I can tell. You might want to turn your gas up a little bit. whats your welding system look like?

I am just beginning with tig welding. Do decent beads with steel now and just started with alum today, which somehow seems easier? I found the biggest thing for me, possibly because I am left handed I was following the torch with the rod rather then the torch following the rod. Once I made that change things really started looking better. Been having the gas set 15-20. Are you using straight argon? What tungston? Also looks like you need more heat on the weld to the left. One to the right looks like the heat was there but I have no idea why it looks like that.

Gas should be set @15 on the regulator. You look way to cold on the left side, needs quite a bit more amperage. The right side is just dirty, that aluminum coating is impossible to weld through cleanly. You might want to find some way to rest your hand better. The more comfortable you are while.welding the better the result. I have 2x4's 4x4's and even an old paint can handy to prop my arm up to be comfy.

Reactions: 1 user
Gas should be set @15 on the regulator. You look way to cold on the left side, needs quite a bit more amperage. The right side is just dirty, that aluminum coating is impossible to weld through cleanly. You might want to find some way to rest your hand better. The more comfortable you are while.welding the better the result. I have 2x4's 4x4's and even an old paint can handy to prop my arm up to be comfy.
Been waiting on you to reply, How do I set that regulator? do I have to trigger the gun to get gas flowing to set it? Or do I just turn it up to where the ball will float on the guage?
I'm really steadily set when it comes to welding, and I've got more than enough amperage to melt a hole right through the tube, The reason it looks cold is beacuse I'm not flooring the thing after I drop the rod to spread the puddle. ( I'm still concerned w/ just getting the thing completely welded as opposed to making it pretty) But I want to learn, so I wanted to make sure I'm set right.

There is a difference between tungstons?

You have to set the gas flow with the Tig torch running as supposed to it being static. I usually start really hot to get a puddle going and then back way off with just enough heat to keep it consistent. (I am also impatient lol). I personally use 2% thoriated (red) tungsten on almost everything. 3/32 is my go to unless I'm doing something intricate and will use 1/16 or even .060
I always grind it to a point with a dedicated bench grinder as to not contaminate it and the grain of the grind should lead to the point. Also stay away from magnets as they distort the arc. I usually use masking or painters tape for mock up
Very few instances will I use 100% tungsten (green) and only when I'm welding high purity aluminum
Filler rod I'll use ER70s-2 for anything mildsteel

Couldn't have said it any better 84... Red for steel, green for alum.. The grinding to a point with grind lines heading to the point is key. I only TIG at work occasionally so I can't have a dedicated wheel for the electrode. I would say set the welder around 100A and start there. Heat up the steel before you shove the filler in.

Looks cold, turn that bish up.
I always ground to a point and then barely blunt the tip but that's just me. Following the torch with the rod was helpful for a while as well.
There IS a right way and a wrong way, but IMO TIG is 90% about comfort at first. Once you can get your hands comfortable you can really find the technique that works best for you. Really helps when it comes time to hang upside down and weld with a mirror in the dark
Have you spent much time just doing butts and laps with mild steel plates?
Can learn real quickly that way.
Aluminum was much harder for me at first being AC threw me off. Round was difficult at first as well (build your own header and you find your technical flaws real fast)
I haven't welded in a couple years now but that's what I can remember.

@tannerc91gt I usually blunt the tip on my tungsten as well. It fans the arc out a bit more for a little larger contact patch and works well for thinner metals in my opinion. Good call!
Welding round tubing is always harder to learn on than flat plate for sure. Once you think you have it down, then try to do it in position inside of a race car with one leg hanging out the door and your body bent over backwards around other tubing. Most good welders are humbled really quickly in these kind of scenarios, I know I was. It has taken a long time to get comfortable to position weld. Getting to some areas sometimes require mirrors or even hanging the tungsten out 2"+ with a gas lens and a ton of shielding gas. No matter how you look at it, practice is the only thing that will improve your skills!

Went by a friends shop today who is an accomplished welder, and I got some OJT. I was quickly able to find out what I was doing wrong:
Not enough heat.
Reduce the size of the filler rod.
Not enough time behind the gun.

Most of everything that I could offer has been said already. But there are a few things I could add.

Always use the smallest filler rod you can safely get away with. If your filler is to thick and doesn't melt all the way, you will have penetration problems. Remember that adding filler cools the puddle.

Torch angle, torch angle, torch angle. Extremely important in all types of welding. But more critical in round stuff. It's very easy to get your torch angle off when moving around the pipe/tube.

Most of this comes with time. Some of it has to be taught. The this a little more to TIG than just doing it. There are certain things that just need to instructed.

Also, get a TIG finger! Best investment you will ever make. I TIG weld aluminum pipe at 250+ amps all day. And I can have my pinky guiding around the pipe an inch from the weld without my skin boiling.

I've never tried welding with a tig so I learned a lot with this post. I know with my experience with my mig, practice, practice, practice. Find some scrap metal/alum that is the same thickness as what you plan to weld and practice on it. Change the settings till you get a weld you like. I've never had any classes on welding, I just bought one and messed around with it till I got it right. Now I weld better then my brother who has had welding classes(and end up doing his welding for him)