will a 351w fit

2001V6stang

May 21, 2005
will a 351w fit in a 65 mustang that had an I6, and does anyone know were I can find a 4speed or 5 speed that fits a 65 had an orginal 3 speed in it but it was removed for an automatic but don't know what kind will trade it for a manuel thanks

Mike

2001 v6 Stand
1965 Project Car Stang

• Sponsors (?)

yes the 351w will fit with no real problem. as far as trans goes, any trans that fits the 302/5.0, also fits the 351w, just grab the bellhousing that goes with the trans. depending on how much power you are planning on making, a T5 from 1985 to 1993 will work, if you keep the power under 350hp. more than that step up to a Z series T5, or a tremec. dont forget to swap out the rear end for an 8" or 9" rear, as well as front spindles to a V8 spindle from 65-66, or any 67 and later spindle that fits a mustang(pre 73), maverick, or granada.

Before you decide to go the V8 route, you need to do a search on I6 to V8 conversions. A 351w can be installed in any 65'/66' stang (did it-see sig), but, as mentioned by rbohm, the I6 rear end will not be strong enough and the I6 steering/brakes/suspension are too weak. All these items should be updated to the same parts as found in the V8 counterpart.

The original manual transmission used with the 351 would be the 4 speed toploader. They can also be found behind 289's, 302's and 351 clevelands. The bellhousing and clutch assembly can come from the same engines.The toploader for a big block is similiar, but uses a shorter input shaft which makes it unusable as is. A T5 conversion may be of interest to you, but you should do a search for that too.

The 351 will use many of the original V8 installation parts. Motor mounts, bellhousings, clutches, shifters, z-bar, and carb linkages, can be from a 65/66 289.

As far as problems with actually installing the 351, there are just a few. Alternator mounting brackets are 351w specific, although pulleys are interchangeable. The 351w needs more air flow than the stock 289 radiator can flow. Most who do the conversion cut up some of the radiator support in order to install a larger radiator. Finally, the exhaust can be a problem. Special swap headers are a necessity because the 351w is both a little wider and taller than the 289. The stock cast iron 289 manifolds will work, but are sinfully restrictive on such a big engine.

As first mentioned, you should first do a search and then decide if you have the skills and still want to spend the time and money to do the conversion.

steel1212 said:
somebody beat me to it, and even didn't tell him not to do it....I'm so proud :nice:

while i usually recommend not doing the swap, i am in this case going on the assumption that the engine is already out of the car, or was never in the car to begin with, and thus is essentially a clean slate. if the car has a running six in it already, then i recommend not doing the swap.

86bluecobra said:
woot glad to see guys doing 351w swaps. i have heard you need to massauge the strut towers any truth to this?

Due to the tight clearances on a 65/66, a little "clearancing" of either the header tubes or the shock towers is usually required. In the past I've used both a 1 1/2" swap header and currently run 1 3/4" ones and both needed a little Love to fit nicely. Usually a couple of light stategic wacks with a hammer is all that is needed.

Have a 351w in my 66. Easy swap but as dennis112 mentioned the headers all need to be massaged. Swap headers can be had by Hooker or JBA. I have Hooker super comps. 1 5/8 tube and they work well. Do not have them coated before fitting. Motor mounts, trans mount, bellhousing, even the drive shaft from
Any early 289 / 302 will work except the real early 289 with a 5 bolt bell. If you buy headers some of them
Work with automatics some with stick shifts. Know your application.