Window motor bushings (Pics)

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
Ok... my dad noticed my windows have both failed in the last month so as a birthday gift he went to a junk yard and grabbed some window motors.

The sentiment was generous however I'm not sure that its the motors as much as the bushings...oh well, i have two more perfectly good motors now! haha. So I took apart the two motors that he gave me and because I have no experience in this area I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at.

In the picture below, are all the yellow pieces small pieces of the bushings?

1-1.jpg

Thanks guys,

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

I am not 100% sure....

IIRC Vib, RIO, or someone has a pictoral of doing the bushing repair. The topic even has info on were to get a bushing kit to rebuild and part number. Might try a search.

My window motors are crapping out and I am going to try and do this soon myself.

yeah those are the bushings...I replaced both of mine after my driver side one gave out. You can just get the bushings in the HELP! section at autozone or advanced auto. Also really easy to do and mine work like they are brand new

good job on the write-up will,:nice: i've got two window motor's laying around my place from my car that i replaced when they stopped working.never thought to repair them.now i'll fix them and have spare's for when the motor's in my door's take a dump.

Big thanks to Stang netters for the tutorial on the window motor bushings. I was intimidated at first but after reading everyones success I went for it. My problem was my motor "failed" with the window in the down position. I wasn't sure I could remove the motor with the window down. I tried a tip I heard about which is to BANG hard on the area of the motor (after door panel removal) a few times and sure enough it worked to go up. I then pulled the motor thru the speaker hole. My bushings were not all chewed up but were oblong shaped and starting to split I think thats why my motor was binding up. Quick trip to auto zone and "help" section for the replacement bushings and window working fine after motor reinstall. Don't be afraid to tackle this. It cost me under 5 bucks, a little time and some greasy forearms! Imagine the money to have the dealer do it. Props to everyone who have put up tips for this!

I am not recommending this, but when mine crap out, I just drop 5/16 hex nuts in where the bushings go. They never give out.

Be warned though, Ford puts plastic bushings in so that they will crumble if you get a body part or object between the glass and door frame. Not that you could get hurt, but I think it is a 'kid safety' thing.