Winter Car Cover

Matt1986GT

Jun 27, 2015
Hi everyone. Can anyone recommend a good car cover to get me through the winter? I don't think the standard one I have is going to cut it and I don't have a garage to store the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Some would argue it is better off uncovered.
When I lived in Canada, I did not have a garage. I ended up finding a barn, (old farm, no longer being farmed) to store the car.
Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Between the fact that we have had a few bad winters in a row here in NY and the fact that I just replaced my convertible top, I have to come up with something. Obviously a garage would be ideal, but until I can find something a cover would have to due. I just want I try to find the best one that will protect it from the snow and ice.

Wolf makes good covers, I have the "Noah". Make sure the cover you get is breathable.
Make sure to wax the heck out of the car before you wrap it up. More wax than you would ever typically use, you can strip it in the spring. Fill it with gas and add methyl hydrate. Change the oil the day you are putting it away, and consider "fogging" it. Take the battery in the house. Buy additional rope to secure the cover to the car (wind whipping them around is bad news, dust will get in under it). Park the car over a tarp, and tent peg the tarp down (ground moisture protection). Seal all your openings off (mice) and toss a bunch of dryer sheets in it (bounce)... mouse and moisture protection. Some say to leave the windows cracked... I'm betting the vert top will allow that breath-ability.
Leave it sit on it's own weight, put the tires at 45psi.
If you get some windy weather (I'm sure you will), consider taking the cover off, washing it, dusting the car off, and recovering.
I covered mine outside for years (not through the winter, but pretty much all spring/summer/fall).
Good luck.

Last edited:
welcome. just remember a cover is only as good as how clean it is on the inside, and how well it lets moisture out... which is why some folks believe it's best not to cover them outside. I've heard internet stories (never first hand) of covers freezing to the paint, and peeling it up... so, breathable cover is the way to go.
I will attest to dust/dirt/debris getting up inside the cover. Inspect and wash regularly.