Working on an Import is a PITA!

Just got done helping a buddy install $4000 in parts on his 300ZX TT...and let me say, after working on that thing I will never pay a mechanic a single cent to work on my car. I always took the engine bay space we have in our stangs for granted. Dropped the tranny put in a new clutch, flywheel, put the tranny back up (took about 3 hours to get the damn spline in there right). All new full-exhaust, a handful of sensors I have no idea what are used for, new intercoolers, and a lot of body work. Thankfully he works at a body shot and we had free access to all the best tools, lifts, etc :D
Picked up a LOT of patience.

• Sponsors (?)

I had an 87 Pathfinder that was in that class too! When the starter went out, I couldn't see any way for me to change it at home using jackstands. Looked like the stock header had to be moved and the engine (V6) lifted to clear everything. It was almost $400 at the dealer. The oil change was another pain. The filter actually sat right over the starter a few silly millimeters away from the hot battery lead! Had to disconnect the battery just to do the oil change safely!

It aint just imports bro. I helped a buddy put long tubes into his WS6-TA the other day. He used to be a pro mechanic and I can turn wrenches too, it took the two of us over 10 hours to get it done. I put long tubes on my '67 alone in about 50 minutes, and that was not hurrying.

I used to work on imports exclusively (trust me, I still miss my CRX, just so much fun to drive not to mention the 50mpg it got!)

The room in there is definitely tight! It really takes alot of practice more than anything to get to where you can work on them as easily as a good old detroit muscle machine. Once you get used to it though, it's not that much different. Cam changes are a PITA on some of those engines though. Especially the VTEC ones.

Suffice to say though, I much prefer my '68 coupe. Always wanted one and darn easier to work on. If you're not used to working on a '98 civic, it'll take you hours to do something as simple as change the starter. It took 10 minutes my first time in my mustang, and 5 the second time (read "Car Caught Fire" for why I've done it 2 times in the 6 months I've owned it.) Much more simplistic design, and ALOT more room. The cars are about the same size too, so I'm trying to figure out where all that extra room is coming from.

Don't get me started on timing belts though. Oy vey...

skywalker said:
The cars are about the same size too, so I'm trying to figure out where all that extra room is coming from.

Part of it is structural, there is a lot more boxing going on since the metal is so thin (for weight savings) and then there's the crumple zones. Also turning an engine sideways and then putting the tranny under the engine instead of behind it and BAM, you're outta space. Funny that since most cars use thin sheetmetal for weight savings that an 04 mustang weights more than a 64 though isn't it?

LOL Zoo!

65fastback2+2 said:
pulled the whole tranny from my dads vw, redid the clutch, put it back in in about 6 hours of actual time, and we had never done it before.

Not fair. The old VW bugs were like tinker toys. I took the passenger seat out of my Baja bug, went to the engine shop, picked up a long block, laid it out on the floor pan and drove home. I removed the rear bumper cage, pulled the old engine, transfered all outside parts to the new long block, got it running and drove the core back to the shop in the afternoon.