X Pipe Vs H Pipe...

mpeach1976

Feb 14, 2014
I know it's a tired question, but I am curious if one is better/more efficient than the other. The truth is I am considering an X-pipe, but after I found out that shorty headers are the only CA compliant headers I can get and aren't really worth the money with what little power they add over the factory headers, I'm now scrutinizing and wondering if the an X-pipe is worth the money for the power it may add over the factory H-pipe. That said: Will I see any power gains with an X-pipe over the factory H-pipe? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I personally don't think you will see any gains just changing over from stock H pipe to an X pipe. All of the data I have seen has not convinced me one is superior over the other.

SUPPOSED differences:
H pipe= more torque
X pipe= more horsepower

Audible difference seems to be that h pipes are throaty whereas y pipes have more high-end/rasp.

The Foxbody guys have been battling each other on this subject for years (x vs. h pipe). It seems to be more about preference.

Last edited:
I personally don't think you will see any gains just changing over from stock H pipe to a Y pipe. All of the data I have seen has not convinced me one is superior over the other.

SUPPOSED differences:
X pipe= more torque
Y pipe= more horsepower

Audible difference seems to be that x pipes are throaty whereas y pipes have more high-end/rasp.

The Foxbody guys have been battling each other on this subject for years (x vs. y pipe). It seems to be more about preference.
I'm talking X-pipe vs H-pipe... not concerned about Y-pipe