Yes or No: Is Bassani worth the extra money?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got the Bassani Bx and it sounds awesome, and it looks brand new, even after driving it in the rain, etc. I'd go with the Bx if money is a concern, it will hold up fine.

I've got a 3" Mac Flowpath sitting in my garage, would it be louder than my Bassani if I swap them out?

Cobra-Master said:
I've got a 3" Mac Flowpath sitting in my garage, would it be louder than my Bassani if I swap them out?

It'll be louder at idle and under 2k rpm, but I doubt it will be louder at full throttle.

Why the hell would you wanna change out the Bassani for the crap....err mac? You will lose power and have a less quality system. I like Macs sound but not as much as Bassani.

EDIT: I just saw that your an 03 cobra. Still, the Bassani mufflers will outflow the MAC mufflers and even with the 3" pipes I don't think the Macs will make as much power as the Bassani.

Craig Mack said:
It'll be louder at idle and under 2k rpm, but I doubt it will be louder at full throttle.

Why the hell would you wanna change out the Bassani for the crap....err mac? You will lose power and have a less quality system. I like Macs sound but not as much as Bassani.

EDIT: I just saw that your an 03 cobra. Still, the Bassani mufflers will outflow the MAC mufflers and even with the 3" pipes I don't think the Macs will make as much power as the Bassani.
I managed to score the Mac system and it's been sitting in the garage for almost a year. I've gotten the itch lately just to try it out, but I'd never ditch my Bassani for good.

I'm really just curious how much louder it will get with the 3" CB vs. the 2.5" Bassani.

And, if I add the prochamber, what will happen?

Bassani X pipe

Yes, I think Bassani was an excellent choice for my 98 Cobra Vert. I combined the Basssani X pipe with hi-flow cats, with the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back system, and man, what a sound. You can hear this baby coming from half a mile away. The pure rumble and throatyness of the system is awesome. :lol:

the cat back comes with removable baffles that really change the sound. I have had my baffles in and out several times trying to decide which way is best
Ok sorry for Noob question, but what are baffles? Are they just extra pipeing? Are the easy to take off and on? How would you change them?

maddogg545 said:
Ok sorry for Noob question, but what are baffles? Are they just extra pipeing? Are the easy to take off and on? How would you change them?

They are an insert that slides into the tailpipe to absorb some of the sound waves. Here is a pic of one being installed.

173_0310_exh_18_z.jpg

They are held in by this retaining screw.
173_0310_exh_17_z.jpg

These same Bassani baffles also work in the Magnaflow cat back...

U.M.

Wow great pics Meat!! Thanks for the info. I was wondering how they could be taken on and off so quickly. That suck that you have a hole in your tail pipe when the baffles are out.

Ok I did quite a bit of research into the exhaust system for my 04 cobra. Just to let you know I do have some experience with metal, I have been a machinist for TRW in the space and defense sector for 23 years. Now we are know as Northrop Grumman(.
As I looked through the systems the main thing I looked for was durability. I didn’t want some nasty rusted out system messing up my nice stang in just a couple years. The material of choice is 304 stainless. As I looked at systems I noticed things that were not good.
These quotes are from the web sites of the company’s.

Bassani:
"'COMPOSITE' steel for durability and backed by a LIMITED WARRANTY"
(This is a combination of mild steel or aluminum. Mild steel rusts very fast and aluminum corrodes and goes away very fast, especially in areas that use salt on their roads.)

"Precision-engineered stainless steel for durability"
(what kind of stainless? 300, 400 series? Not all stainless is the same and once again 304 is the best choice for corrosion resistance and strength)

"durable STAINLESS STEEL internal construction housed in a 16 gauge aluminized steel case"
( nice that its stainless inside but outside will rust once the Alu. is gone)

Flowmaster:

“3.00" Stainless Steel Tips”
(well the tips might not rust, depending on the type of stainless)

“Heavy duty, thick walled (.075) aluminized pipes”
(Thin and guess what… Rust)

MAC Performance:

“Stainless Steel Tips!!! True Fit design (ball and socket fitting) eliminates the need for gaskets, muffler clamps and welding. The system is made from 16ga aluminized tubing.”
(well the tips might not rust, depending on the type of stainless)

SLP Loudmouth Exhaust:

“SLP latest additions to the exhaust world are 100% stainless steel.”
(What kind of stainless?)

Borla:

Borla exhaust is built of aircraft-quality T-304 stainless steel -- stainless inside and out, not mild steel, not aluminum, not coated aluminum, not just wrapped with stainless on the outside for show. Coating techniques, such as aluminizing, can somewhat prolong the life of mild steel, but coatings suffer at the weld points. And, comparing aluminized steel to T-304 stainless steel is like comparing gold-plated metal to solid gold! T-304 stainless steel has the highest chromium content, making it the most resistant to corrosion and therefore the most desirable material for a long-lasting exhaust system.

I know a lot of people are after the sound of a system. I personally am after performance not show. Durability is a huge part of performance.

I trapped 106.2 in my '97 Cobra with a UPR X-pipe, bassani catback, anderson powerpipe, and steeda t/a @ 13* in the hot florida weather.

I did that with ONE run down the track. Before, my BEST (out of 6 or 7) with the exact same mods as about EXCEPT for welded in flows instead of the Bassani catback, my BEST trap speed was 103.6.

Coincedence? I don't think so. I've always been told by my buddy that the right catback can make a huge difference on Cobras and I am now a believer.

BTW, i'm in florida, have run aluminized exhausts on all my cars and none have rusted. I think your being a little anal about your comparisons dude. Besides, the Bassani SS comes with a limited LIFETIME warranty, so even if you shovel salted snow for a living your going to be OK.

Ahhh, that's the best thing about the Good Ole US of A......choices...that's why there are a multitude of exhaust setups to choose from...so you can dial in to your own liking. I have had the Stingers (too loud), currently have the Magnaflow cb & catted x (wasn't sure I liked the sound at first...but it is growing on me) & who knows what is next...won't stop until I find the setup for me! Anything other than stock sounds great IMO!! :nice: