‘02 F150 5.4 - transmission removal

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
My ‘02 F150 that my daughter now drives is starting to leak fluid from the front grommet that give you access to the torque converter drain.
The trans was rebuilt about 3 years ago…. Maybe 4.
I’m assuming it’s the front seal and not the drain plug.
My question is how difficult is this trans removal going to be if I do it in my driveway? Much different than bench pressing a t-5 into place, I know.

• Sponsors (?)

So, I decided to bring the truck in to the shop.
My guy deals with a trans shop right around the corner from him. So after looking at it, he calls me and says it’s got to go back to the trans shop, cause it definitely has to come out, and then we’ll see what’s up. Figured that’s the way it would go.
After several days, my guy calls me up today and says the truck is ready. There was a failed weld in the torque converter. Apparently there were a few others that the trans shop had come back that all went through a rebuild when mine did about 3 1/2 years ago, with the same problem. Bad run of converters I guess. :shrug: I guess whoever their parts supplier is will be getting a bill, but they fixed my truck free of charge.
Not only am I thrilled with the awesome customer service, as well as the money savings……. It’s just good to know there are people out there still doing the “right thing” even if it hits their pocketbook a little bit.
They could have easily told me it was a failed seal, bad converter, anything, and hit me with the labor charges, but they didn’t.
I will continue to use these two shops for anything I can’t, or don’t have the time to do myself as long as these guys are running things!

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users