Progress Thread “Rising from Ashes 5” 86 4 eye T-TOP notch build

• Sponsors (?)

I really want to get my hands on an '86 notch some day. These cars are getting nearly impossible to find now.
Sooner you grab one the better off. These cars are already bringing big money and the market is going to explode very soon. I mean it’s an everyday thing to see nice fully built or stock original fox notches go for 20-25k now

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Positioned and ready for a ton of work next week including a T-Top conversion
7B3BDDE3-78F4-4BE5-8C40-483E00CC97A5.jpeg
C7C8D27F-47B1-4607-85C9-F53001D8A458.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Holy bondo Batman! It’s why I redo them right. Lol! Strip all that crap out, do solid metal work and then you don’t need 10 lbs of mudd. I think this car was hit near the door hinges and that pushed the door back into the quarter causing this damage. This thing will be laser straight when I’m done
D635F11B-81A8-4A32-8658-C02ECEF82CF2.jpeg
3E0FEEA3-A2D2-41A2-BBA5-5119461C8EF0.jpeg
C58140CF-5572-4ED3-A0C6-4C7C75FF6740.jpeg
6E23D363-399A-47F2-88E4-9E8E6A3961CF.jpeg
E5E9DB31-2552-4C59-942A-6E9AA15F76A5.jpeg
436FCDAE-F52C-4F7D-A93A-BADCB64BA5EB.jpeg

• Wow
  • Surprised
Reactions: 7 users
I have to ask:

What does it cost in general, to take a running Fox body, strip it all the way down, fix the 30 year old whatever the hell happened to it, and put it all back together?

Let's just assume it's a hard top.

I have to ask:

What does it cost in general, to take a running Fox body, strip it all the way down, fix the 30 year old whatever the hell happened to it, and put it all back together?

I think it's safe to assume you would not be investing wisely... unless for the very long term to restore it to original for a rare car. I would also bet that it is somewhere closer to the six figure end than the 50k end.

I have to ask:

I can answer that for you.

Are you swapping an engine, or restoring an old? Same with transmission? Rewire or original? NOS interior or new custom? New wheels or stockers, and what would you like to do with the suspension? Performance minded or cruiser? Or are you just talking about taking a rolling body and restoring that body only?

:poo:, I can answer that too for everything minus paint and body work. I have all my receipts. You don't want to know what I've spent so far....

All depends on how crazy you want to go.

Last edited:
@95BlueStallion pretty much hit it. It’s so hard to determine costs and just give a number when there are so many variables but can tell you that there are some industry generalities such as paint and body. A quality paint job will start at $5,000 and can go up to as much as 25-30k but again so many things determine this. Rust? Damage? Paint color? Materials? Want it custom? After market stuff? Size? On and on. But like I said, I’m going to try and keep
Costs updated on this car. Another industry standard is labor. Avg shop rate is $75.00 an hour.(not mine) A full build will be a min of 1,000 man hours. So there’s 75k.

Reactions: 2 users
I can answer that for you.

Are you swapping an engine, or restoring an old? Same with transmission? Rewire or original? NOS interior or new custom? New wheels or stockers, and what would you like to do with the suspension? Performance minded or cruiser? Or are you just talking about taking a rolling body and restoring that body only?

Talking about taking all the same crap that is on it and in and putting it all back in the car.

The only exceptions would be things that were discovered along the way that are unserviceable.

I’m going to try and keep
Costs updated on this car. Another industry standard is labor. Avg shop rate is $75.00 an hour.(not mine) A full build will be a min of 1,000 man hours. So there’s 75k.
...and of your man-hours. For a couple of reasons:

First: I'm in the wrong business

Second: I think people in general and particularly Mustang guys, [greatly] undervalue cars with fresh paint and body-work.

And C: Sooner or effink later, I will get this house and garage done. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe before I'm dead? I dunno but anyway... However long it takes you to do it I will multiply by a factor of three for me to get mine to look [as good] as yours (that's right, you heard it here) when I'm standing ten feet away. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user