03 vert with a 418w stroker, and 4r70w tranny, what rear gear should i run?

Xtreme Limits

Founding Member
Nov 30, 2001
Hudson, Florida
03 vert with a 418w stroker, and 4r70w tranny, what rear gear should i run?
max rpm is 6600, makes 500+hp & 500tq,, will be a street/ strip car an only drove on weekens, it will have a big shot of nitrous for raceing,175-250hp shot, should make 750-800hp with new exhast..

• Sponsors (?)

418 != 4.6L :rlaugh:

But seriously... I have no idea. 3.73 maybe? Would any more even be necessary with 500 hp N/A, 800 on spray?

And I'm assuming with that list of parts, and the knowhow to put it all together, you don't need to be told what's going to break... lol. I mean, you're asking because you are replacing the entire rear of that 6 banger right?

Keep us updated, sounds like a badass setup.

yes sir, but its a toss up i was planning put a 9" in it but, theres alot of people running 8.8"s with 31 or 33/35 splines, and will take 800+hp, just need to put a good locker in but still trying to deside witch one?
Anyone have a locker that can handle 1000+hp for a 8.8"???(im not going to have that much horsepower, i just want to over build some of the stuff so it wont break......)

A locker on the street??????? I assume you are referring to a locker that you can open for street duty which actually will hurt traction more than help. Just look into a good LSD through Eaton. The the rwhp and rpm you are referring to, I wouldn't think anything more than 3.55's or you may find yourself running out of rpm's too soon. You seriously would be so much better off putting the 418w in the 90GT and getting a donor 4v motor/rear for the v6. Much better power potential (albeit f/i or N02) and a whole lot less of a headache to deal with.

id say 3.73's or 3.90's. you dont want too tall of gears or youll be spinning over half throttle in 1st and 2nd, even with an auto. unless youre gonna run a really grippey fat tire then maybe 4.1's will work.

im going to run 315-325-335 Nito Dr's or some type of grippy low profile to fit 17or18" rims, mabey 255zr-40-17/18" in front, and 315zr or more-35-17/18" in rear?
what rear tires will give me 10-20,000 miles of hard abbuce that are really soft but not a full slick.....(eventully ill have a set of front and rear rims and raceing tires for the race track).... untill then i want the best street type tire reagular roads can handle? what are some of the best?

2.73s :rlaugh:

You'll have to rework the 4r70w most likely, since im not sure that it could handle that type of abuse with the stock internals. You'll need to atleast upgrade the clutches :shrug:

You could stick with the stock 3.08s currently and then see if you need to step up a gear.