04 SVT and no Ford dealer wants to deal with it...help plz?

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I have a question for you guys, I have a friend here that has an 04 SVT Cobra and he has already taken it to 4 different ford dealers and they all dont want to deal with the car or something because they keep turning him away. But here is his problem when he goes in reverse he hears a clicking noise as if coming from the axle, and when he goes forward only when hes turning right he hears like a squeaking noise as if coming from the control arms, any suggestions on what it might possibly be or anyone with a similar issue going on, and if so how did you get it fixed. Thanx for all your help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

He has the extended warranty, but he has no problem paying to have it done he just wants to have it fixed already. He is even willing to take it to an independent tech./shop that specializes in mustangs but we dont know where there is one in florida preferably down south but anywhere would help. But SSM i take it thats a service bulletin or recall or something? Sorry still trying to learn all the abbreviations. lol.

Ok well i just drove it myself and the noise coming from the front is a creaking noise and i got under it and it sounds like its coming from the rack and pinion, and the noise in reverse is a popping noise when at low speed in reverse. And I got the correct story now when he took it to ford they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it was what they told him. And as far as the front goes they changed the front rack and pinion bushing and then they crashed it but fixed it again but the noise is there again.

they changed the rack and pinion bushing because thats what they said was causing the noise coming from the front but the noise is still there thats what I was trying to say, and i was wondering if them crashing it could have anything to do with the noise still being there, But it is coming from the rack and pinion area only when u turn the wheel right, its coming from the left wheel.

The car has remote start and when they started it with the remote one of them apparently left it in gear so it started right into another car and damaged the front drivers side bumper, headlight, and hood. Thats what i mean by crash, lol. Some ppl should play with their customers toys. But yea thats what happened and he got the extended warranty because of this they keep saying there is no problem but the noise is there.

Also if anyone can tell me an SSM is like a service bulliten right?

GTA_V6_Mustang said:
Also if anyone can tell me an SSM is like a service bulliten right?
SSM = Special Service Message. Similar to a TSB.

The two your friend needs to look into are as follows:

03-09-05 SUSPENSION - CLUNK OR POP NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION - MUSTANG COBRA ONLY - SERVICE TIPS
NOISE - CLUNK OR POP NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION - MUSTANG COBRA ONLY - SERVICE TIPS

18-22-9 STEERING - POP/CLUNK OR SQUEALING NOISE FROM THE STEERING GEAR WHEN TURNING, DRIVING OVER BUMPS, OR BRAKING.

U.M.

My "clunk or pop from rear end" turned out to be my sway bar end link on the passenger side. It was either not correctly tightened at the factory or had worked its way loose on the top. I used a stethescope to track it down, tightened up the end link nuts and all's been well since - 2 years. Haven't experienced noise in my front end (rack / pinion).

Your in South Florida, up here we've got wayne akers and they deal with SVT products # is (561) 582-4444. Try them see if someone will deal with him ask for frank in parts, he should be able to help him out.

Just because there is a TSB or SSM the dealer DOESNT have to perform that just because there is one. It is more of a reference guide for them if they cant find the solution to a complaint. These are not recalls.

Yeah they shouldnt have used the remote starter, but I also tell my customer to get rid of theirs. They are nothing but trouble. Of all the cars that come in for service w/ remote starters 90% of them have started on their own while either no oil in the motor, up on the lift with the oil draining, or the technician is working on them and they started right up. I have seen too many to justify recommending them and All our customers who had that happen, removed them.

A non SVCT dealer can work on Cobras. They just have to get prior authoization from SVT to pay them. Been there, done that. I would also pm Fordsvttech on here and give him the info as he is a Ford Technician.

Here is that first TSB that Uncle Meat was talking about- UM, do you have any more info on the second TSB that you referenced? I couldn't find it on the Motorcraft website. I too have a popping sound coming from my front end.

Adam

tsb03-09-051.jpg

tsb03-09-052.jpg

tsb03-09-053.jpg

Attachments

• tsb03-09-051.jpg
    tsb03-09-051.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 92
  • tsb03-09-052.jpg
    tsb03-09-052.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 102
  • tsb03-09-053.jpg