Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

Shouldn't have gone from a h-pipe to a x-pipe because now I have to have my right exhaust adjusted. Ugh.

Another week or two and the car should be under its own horsepower....all 507 naturally aspirated of them. Mu ha ha ha

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ford Performance Z2363 engine and T-56 transmission are finally installed. Had the car tuned today. Made 375 hp and 357 torque and I suspect it has a bit more in it.

Overall the car hauls ass, BUT spews oil out the rear breather onto the trans and exhaust at high rpm. Not a sustainable predicament. So now I need to run some ventilation via a catch can. I was planning on running a line from the rear PVC behind the intake and from the top of one of the valve covers (two lines) to a catch can. Any suggestion on parts (90 degree elbow and catch can) from guys who have dealt with this situation?

Why are there breathers on a 93 ?
Huffed or puffed?
PCV operational?
I have a Ford Performance breather behind the intake in the traditional PCV location. It is a standalone with no line running from it. I also have a PCV in the passenger's side valve cover with a line that runs to the upper intake. See attached photo.
20240414_075250.jpg

Does your rear breather have the pcv screen in the hole? Do your valve covers have baffles?

Why not run it like a regular pcv?
You could put your pcv valve in the back of the block, the output goes into a catch can. Catch can out goes back into the intake.
The valve cover would get your breather or could go to the intake tube if you’re running a maf.

Last edited:
Naturally aspirated 363. PCV is operational and has the metal screen in the hole at the rear of the engine.

Please read what I wrote and view the photo. I spell out the problem pretty thoroughly. I'm sure someone here has experience with resolving this problem.

spews oil out the rear breather onto the trans and exhaust at high rpm. Not a sustainable predicament.
then you say:
I have a Ford Performance breather behind the intake in the traditional PCV location. It is a standalone with no line running from it. I also have a PCV in the passenger's side valve cover with a line that runs to the upper intake.
this is my opinion but this is possibly the reason, unless you have an excessive amount of crankcase pressure or is adding to the problem.
Oil 'splash' traveling to the back of the lifter valley is being pushed out the breather, that said, is the PCV hose hooked up to vacuum by itself?
Is the oil baffle under the intake intact? Have you checked for excessive blow-by?

Sorry I missed the part when you were asking for parts advice. I thought you wanted to remedy the problem.

I used an evil energy. It’s cheap and does what it’s supposed to. Moroso make nice ones if you want some bling.

Reactions: 1 user
then you say:

this is my opinion but this is possibly the reason, unless you have an excessive amount of crankcase pressure or is adding to the problem.
Oil 'splash' traveling to the back of the lifter valley is being pushed out the breather, that said, is the PCV hose hooked up to vacuum by itself?
Is the oil baffle under the intake intact? Have you checked for excessive blow-by?
The PCV, which is located on the passenger's side, is running via a single hose to the port on the underside of the intake. I'm not sure what you mean when you say is the baffle intact. The only item venting preasure is the baffle in the . The PCV
then you say:

The PVC is hooked up to vacuum under the driver's side intake. The baffle toward the rear of the engine is intact, but the round shape style with numerous small holes underneath. I have not checked for excessive blow by as it's a new engine.

It seems the fix is to run a catch can with an unobstructed line from the rear of the engine and passenger's side PVC. I think I'll have to remove the existing set up and install a 90 degree bend or baffle with an exiting line to the catch can. This seems to be what most guys with the larger sized engines are running. Thoughts?

You can run the back like a regular pcv and put the breathers in the valve covers .

Or put a freeze out plug in the pcv hole - get motion race works push in an fittings for your valve covers and run 2 -10 or -12 an lines to the catch can

Ford Performance Z2363 engine and T-56 transmission are finally installed. Had the car tuned today. Made 375 hp and 357 torque and I suspect it has a bit more in it.

Overall the car hauls ass, BUT spews oil out the rear breather onto the trans and exhaust at high rpm. Not a sustainable predicament. So now I need to run some ventilation via a catch can. I was planning on running a line from the rear PVC behind the intake and from the top of one of the valve covers (two lines) to a catch can. Any suggestion on parts (90 degree elbow and catch can) from guys who have dealt with this situation?
Also , I’m not being a downer I’m seriously asking - that thing is down like close to 50-80hp at the tire in my opinion .

We know the dyno is a tool and should be used as such but I’d expect a higher compression 363 to make closer to 500 at the tire especially with a stick. I think 10.2:1 rather then a build with 11:1 is probably hurting it some and the cam shaft they send with it . I have seen quite a few 363 make right around 600 at the crank on pump

I just saw a j302 headed - stock bottom end with a 100k plus on it and an Anderson n91 cam with a carb style manifold with an elbow make over 400 on the dyno from one of the reps that works for vibrant.

I’m glad it feels great I am itching to build a 408 , 5 speed deal in a 4 eye

Last edited:
Also , I’m not being a downer I’m seriously asking - that thing is down like close to 100 hp at the tire in my opinion .

We know the dyno is a tool and should be used as such but I’d expect a high compression 363 to make closer to 500 at the tire especially with a stick.
It is advertised at 507 crank HP by Ford. It's probably good for 420 RWHP with 3" exhaust. It's got a bit more in it as is with 91 octane here.

You can run the back like a regular pcv and put the breathers in the valve covers .

Or put a freeze out plug in the pcv hole - get motion race works push in an fittings for your valve covers and run 2 -10 or -12 an lines to the catch can
So, I checked and there is no metal screen and housing in the existing PCV port. I'll need to install that.

The current baffle I have, see attached photo, isn't giving the crank case pressure anywhere to go due to the small holes. This is what I had in the rear engine PCV hole and which was allowing oil to spit out onto the transmission and exhaust.
20240414_204930.jpg

The pcv screen will help. The baffle is actually on the bottom of the lower intake and prevents oil from splashing up the pvc hole. Like I said earlier, running a normal pcv config may solve your issue. Then you potentially won’t need a catch can.

There’s a million ways to do this. The “correct” way is to run the pcv system as intended with a sealed catch can inline between the pcv valve and intake. Especially since you have a NA street car.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to install the screen and mount a catchcan on the firewall with a line running from the passenger valve cover pcv and rear engine breather/baffle locations. I'll eliminate both those items and replace them with a 90 degree fitting.

Last edited:
I'm going to install the screen and mount a catchcan on the firewall with a line running from the passenger valve cover pcv and rear engine breather/baffle locations. I'll eliminate both those items and replace them with a 90 degree fitting.
I would love to see your catch can system when you’re finished. I’ve wanted to go that direction for awhile but I haven’t seen any clear cut solutions I like and I know you’re very detail oriented.