Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

Pulled the plug. It was over $2K, but I got Hawk HPS pads, Maximum Motorsports stainless steel lines and quality rotors and calipers (primarily AC Delco). Thanks everyone!

Awesome. I’ll be following along to see your progress. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your completed job!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I kinda had that “intimidation” feel at first too. But then I just said “its all nuts and bolts” just take your time, get the right parts, and have at it. Now I just can’t wait to get the rest of my list all ordered and get to it. I’m hoping it gonna be this winters project.
I think my intimidation wasn’t so much doing the work but more the mis info out there to do it and having a brake system that didn’t stop the way It should after it was done .

I think my intimidation wasn’t so much doing the work but more the mis info out there to do it and having a brake system that didn’t stop the way It should after it was done .

I see that too. You can drive yourself nuts reading about what everyone has done, and all the combos that can be put together.
And then someone else’s “brakes feel great” may not feel the same for you!

And then someone else’s “brakes feel great” may not feel the same for you!

Yeah, the booster/MC combo selection seems to be a sensitive issue. Guys will insist on their setup and get very defensive about it. As a point, I do not comment at all on an bookface postings regarding brake setups eveb though many are soooo wrong.

Yeah, the booster/MC combo selection seems to be a sensitive issue. Guys will insist on their setup and get very defensive about it. As a point, I do not comment at all on an bookface postings regarding brake setups eveb though many are soooo wrong.
Agreed. Numerous different combinations/opinions. A coworker of mine did the same thing (brake swap) conversion without swapping the booster. I drove his car and was still very impressed.

My concern was getting everything I needed as I dont have time for the back and forth of purchasing some miscellaneous adapter after everything arrives. The LMR is all inclusive, but can also be used as an ordering guide. I noticed with their kit that it doesn't mention the hard line to soft line adapter for the passenger side.

Regardless I was able to spend approximately the same amount, but bought Hawk pads and stainless steel lines by going through Rock Auto. I want a stock look and didnt feel the need for crossed drilled/vented/etc.

My concern was getting everything I needed as I dont have time for the back and forth of purchasing some miscellaneous adapter after everything arrives. The LMR is all inclusive, but can also be used as an ordering guide. I noticed with their kit that it doesn't mention the hard line to soft line adapter for the passenger side.

Regardless I was able to spend approximately the same amount, but bought Hawk pads and stainless steel lines by going through Rock Auto. I want a stock look and didnt feel the need for crossed drilled/vented/etc.
Yes , the adapter isn’t needed with the MM steel braided lines though . Which is why I never mentioned it either because those lines were on my list

Hubs are installed. Everything else should arrive by Thursday/Friday. I think I'll pull the rear axles tomorrow or Wednesday in preparation. Lots to do.

Attachments

• 20190722_213952.jpg
    20190722_213952.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 20190722_214011.jpg
    20190722_214011.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_20190722-214116_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190722-214116_Gallery.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 227
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Loved It!
Reactions: 4 users
Made more progress, but LMR didn't send me any axle bolts. Errrrr!

No disassembly remains at this point. All building.

Attachments

• 20190724_215249.jpg
    20190724_215249.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 20190724_215310.jpg
    20190724_215310.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 147
Lol. I figured three months of inactivity was enough. I noticed today that the LMR 5 lug/4 wheel disc brake kit on stock date is now 21 Aug. So glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these parts.

Lol. I figured three months of inactivity was enough. I noticed today that the LMR 5 lug/4 wheel disc brake kit on stock date is now 21 Aug. So glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these parts.
Me too , sorry if I seemed frustrated at times it’s just I have done similar leg work for other people and if was a dead end . So i was appreciative you pulled the trigger . There was actually a long time where i was so discouraged from the forums cuz of it I stopped answering questions and stuff

No worries. Yes, I get that people can be complete flakes at times. It's unfortunate.

This is a fairly straightforward project. Lots of research and having the right tools is the solution. Having said that there are always unexpected surprises like trying to remove the stock e brake cables from under the car. Of course taking your front a arms out and discovering that your 26 year old bushings are shot is disappointing as well. All challenges to overcome.

No worries. Yes, I get that people can be complete flakes at times. It's unfortunate.

This is a fairly straightforward project. Lots of research and having the right tools is the solution. Having said that there are always unexpected surprises like trying to remove the stock e brake cables from under the car. Of course taking your front a arms out and discovering that your 26 year old bushings are shot is disappointing as well. All challenges to overcome.
Oh yes but like you said once you get past it youre like this wasn’t so bad

I’ll just throw out a number, but that’s why my $500 projects become $1000 projects. I just can’t put back old stuff around the new stuff. So it’s....... let me replace this while I’m there, let’s get new hardware over here, these hoses should be replaced while I have access..... etc etc.
When all is said and done it’s great, and I wouldn’t do it any other way. Lol.

• Agree
I’ll just throw out a number, but that’s why my $500 projects become $1000 projects. I just can’t put back old stuff around the new stuff. So it’s....... let me replace this while I’m there, let’s get new hardware over here, these hoses should be replaced while I have access..... etc etc.
When all is said and done it’s great, and I wouldn’t do it any other way. Lol.
My logic is to do it right the first time so that I don't have to deal with it again. Of course I keep price in mind (Baer brakes versus ACDelco '04 Cobra 13"ers'.

Reactions: 1 users