Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

• Sponsors (?)

I appreciate your help, but I'm in the research phase right now. I'm trying to figure out all I need and I was concerned that no hubs or rotors were included in the parts list. Part of the reason for the LMR kit is that it's all inclusive, but the downside is that I would be paying a 15% surcharge over identical Rock Auto parts. I'm catching on.
Lmr kit being all inclusive doesn’t help you when they are selling you spindles you don’t need and then still won’t sell you the stuff separate anyway . Also doesn’t include the brake booster which you need , the adjust prop valve , plug for the stock one ( I see the valve in the pics but not on the parts list ) . Also sticks you with the 11.65 rear cobra rotor which is fine if you don’t plan on putting a 15 inch wheel on . If you want to run 15 inch wheels in the rear to play at the track ever you’re better off with the gt setup for the rear . Which is how i linked it to you and have on my own car as well. Calipers are the same just rotor dia is bigger

Last edited:
I did my setup for about $1.3k and that's includifing some of the extras like MM stainless brakes lines and crissdrilled rotors and such.

I sold off a bit of my stock stuff too and made bsck a couple hundred

Plus then you don't have SVE branded on your calipers.

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user
I did my setup for about $1.3k and that's includifing some of the extras like MM stainless brakes lines and crissdrilled rotors and such.

I sold off a bit of my stock stuff too and made bsck a couple hundred

Plus then you don't have SVE branded on your calipers.
Did. I miss anything in my lists ? I know i relied heavily on your thread and your advice esp on master sizing Vs calipers when I did this on my car and for stock brakes this thing will make you eat the steering wheel.

You nailed it.

I always say to use the old m-2300-k instructions as a guide

As for the parking brake, there's a clip available now to avoid cutting and welding and it will allow you to tighten the cable later inside the car.

Also, LRS has the rear axle brake lines to avoid adapters and bending. For the cost though, one may just want to use the $5 adapters.

I always said going 5-lug Cobra disk was one of the most fun and rewarding projects I ever did on my car.

Reactions: 1 user
You nailed it.

I always say to use the old m-2300-k instructions as a guide

As for the parking brake, there's a clip available now to avoid cutting and welding and it will allow you to tighten the cable later inside the car.

Also, LRS has the rear axle brake lines to avoid adapters and bending. For the cost though, one may just want to use the $5 adapters.

I always said going 5-lug Cobra disk was one of the most fun and rewarding projects I ever did on my car.
Awesome. Thanks! I just printed out those instructions. That's a great reference if I decide to piece all the parts together from Rock Auto and elsewhere. As for now I think I'm leaning with purchasing the majority of the miscellaneous parts from LMR and going with other vendors for the larger parts (rotors, brake pads, etc.) I suspect I can buy better parts for about the same price from Rock Auto and other vendors than going with the package LMR rotors and stock type pads.

Did you guys use your existing Power Brake Booster? Obviously you upgraded to the correct Master Cylinder, but from my research it seems that going to an upgraded/larger Power Brake Booster is unnecessary. Thanks

ACDELCO 18A964A Front - 65.78 for pair .

ACDELCO 18A654A - Rear 29.76 for the pair
Quick parts check on Amazon. The 18A964A (front rotor) is $22.75 a piece! Rears are $14.83 a piece!! Dang

Actually, it looks like 18A654A is actually the smaller GT rear rotors. 18A1262A may be the correct larger (11.65") '03-'04 rear Cobra rotors?

Last edited:
Quick parts check on Amazon. The 18A964A (front rotor) is $22.75 a piece! Rears are $14.83 a piece!! Dang

Actually, it looks like 18A654A is actually the smaller GT rear rotors. 18A1262A may be the correct larger (11.65") '03-'04 rear Cobra rotors?
In my earlier post I said I sent you the rear gt stuff because the stopping power is the same but allows you to be able to fit a 15 inch wheel on the rear to be able to drag race . If not you can opt for the cobra rotors but also get the correct NRC backing plates on lmr because that’s the difference

I need to know if I'm on the right track with this for a full '03-'04 Cobra style kit:

AC Delco 18A1262A (rears) and the AC Delco 18A964A (fronts) are correct, right?

Calipers: Centric 14161098 (front left), Centric 14161097 (front right). AC Delco 18FR1440 (rear left), AC Delco 18FR1439 (rear right)?

I've spent quite a bit of time researching Rock Auto, but there is always a little bit of concern that these descriptions/ applications may be off. Thanks

Between Rock Auto, LMR and Amazon I'm looking at $1,715. That's with AC Delco front and rear rotors, Centric front calipers, AC Delco rears. Stainless steel brake lines and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads + all the miscellaneous fittings/lines. So it's a small savings over the LRM kit with some upgraded parts.

No Vehicle Specified
ACDELCO​
18A1262ARotor
$ 23.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 47.58​
ACDELCO​
18A964ARotor
$ 32.89​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 65.78​
DURAGO​
29599000 (295-99000)Spindle Nut
$ 3.47​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 6.94​
RAYBESTOS​
MC390217Master Cylinder
$ 67.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 67.79​
TIMKEN​
513115Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly
$ 36.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 73.58​
2004 FORD MUSTANG 4.6L V8 Supercharged
ACDELCO​
18FR1440Caliper
$ 62.79​
$ 60.00​
1​
$ 122.79​
ACDELCO​
18FR1439Caliper
$ 62.79​
$ 60.00​
1​
$ 122.79​
CENTRIC​
14161098 (141.61098)Caliper
$ 51.79​
$ 75.00​
1​
$ 126.79​
CENTRIC​
14161097 (141.61097)Caliper
$ 50.79​
$ 75.00​
1​
$ 125.79​
Discount​
$ -24.50​
Shipping​
Ground
$ 73.85​
Tax​
$ 62.72​
Order Total
$ 871.90
Visa​
-$ 871.90
Balance Due
$ 0.00
[TD]Part Number[/TD]
[TD]Part Type[/TD]
[TD]Price EA[/TD]
[TD]Core EA[/TD]
[TD]Quantity[/TD]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD][/TD]​
Your credit card will be charged when your order ships.

You need the booster . I sent it in my list and noted it several times . 1993 cobra booster . It’s listed in my initial list with the part numbers in text . 94-95 cobra master cyl . * This is important to follow *

The only things you need to change are the rear rotors and calipers from rock for the rear cobra stuff . Then on my cart from lmr swap the nrc caliper backing plates for the cobra specific ones .

Your calipers look fine for what you want I just checked . As long as the description says Svt cobra you are good

Everything else I sent you will work . The research is done for you .

Pulled the plug. It was over $2K, but I got Hawk HPS pads, Maximum Motorsports stainless steel lines and quality rotors and calipers (primarily AC Delco). Thanks everyone!
Glad to hear it . You won’t be disappointed you did it this way. The lines and stuff make a big diff in pedal feel . Don’t forget to gut both sides of the stock prop valve . Old plug goes back in the rear new plug goes in the front from lmr . When you bleed the Brakes make sure the adj valve is full open so you get full fluid to the rear to get the air outthen adjust it .

Swapping the cobra booster in is an absolute must. There are a couple of tricks to make it go easier. There have been numerous posts about swapping in the 93 cobra booster that can probably help you.

Chris

I don’t know why I waited so long or was intimidated by it . Was the best thing I ever did. ESP going high 10s on stockbrakes . No fun

I kinda had that “intimidation” feel at first too. But then I just said “its all nuts and bolts” just take your time, get the right parts, and have at it. Now I just can’t wait to get the rest of my list all ordered and get to it. I’m hoping it gonna be this winters project.