Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

If you already have a bump steer kit, tie rod ends and bushings to relocate the steering rack, installed can they be utilized to eliminate the bumpsteer if using 96-04 spindles?

No. Yo have to drop the rack down further than what the offset bushings typically drop. They help, but you need about a 3/4 drop.

Basically the location the tie rod end needs to be is physically inside the tie rod mount of the 96/04 spindle . Since that’s impossible, you just shouldn’t use them

Perfect shot of the dropped tie rod mounts for the lowred steering rack on 96+

B658ED05-9E2E-44EE-A835-123732A51CBC.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

LMR wouldn't sell me the 5 lug/4 wheel disc brake kit WITHOUT the newer spindles which was another reason why I decided to piecemeal the kit together. Other than the item #18A964A (front 13" rotors) part number fiasco, the piece together process was fairly straightforward.

I decided to change the name of the thread and make it an ongoing progress thread. I have enough planned for the car for another 6 months of posts: tune this coming Tuesday (20 Aug), paint and body hopefully this fall and then I'll reinstall my converted black interior. If things get boring I'll just throw in some regional (SoCal) photos.

LMR wouldn't sell me the 5 lug/4 wheel disc brake kit WITHOUT the newer spindles which was another reason why I decided to piecemeal the kit together.

I think it’s just a numbers thing or only the newer spindles can be sourced.

2 years vs 9 years of the newer spindles. Unsure if the 04 spindles are still able to be ordered from ford. Prob not.

LMR would not sell me the kit without the new spindles. Meaning everything but the spindles.

LMR is a good resource, and they have some good sales at time (10% off, etc.), but nearly all of their stuff is Chinese made and they can be finicky about parting up items.

I decided to change the name of the thread and make it an ongoing progress thread. I have enough planned for the car for another 6 months of posts: tune this coming Tuesday (20 Aug), paint and body hopefully this fall and then I'll reinstall my converted black interior. If things get boring I'll just throw in some regional (SoCal) photos.
LMR would not sell me the kit without the new spindles. Meaning everything but the spindles.

LMR is a good resource, and they have some good sales at time (10% off, etc.), but nearly all of their stuff is Chinese made and they can be finicky about parting up items.
LMR wouldn't sell me the 5 lug/4 wheel disc brake kit WITHOUT the newer spindles which was another reason why I decided to piecemeal the kit together. Other than the item #18A964A (front 13" rotors) part number fiasco, the piece together process was fairly straightforward.

I understand this may be a very stupid question, but say if cost is not a huge concern would it make sense to buy the LMR kit and then purchase the better spindles separate elsewhere? Assuming everything bolts up to the 94-95 from the LMR kit. Perhaps you can sell the spindles the LMR kit comes with for a couple bucks after?

I understand this may be a very stupid question, but say if cost is not a huge concern would it make sense to buy the LMR kit and then purchase the better spindles separate elsewhere? Assuming everything bolts up to the 94-95 from the LMR kit. Perhaps you can sell the spindles the LMR kit comes with for a couple bucks after?
I considered that, but the LMR kit doesn't come with stainless steel soft lines or upgraded pads. In my case I bought Hawk HPS 5.0 pads.

One of the reasons I went the way I did with both my suspension and brake upgrade is because I don't want to mess with either again. I bought quality parts and will drive my car 99% of the time on the street. Is a panhard bar necessary for the street? Not unless you rail onramps and offramps at speed.

Last edited:
From my experience it's generally a pain to sell parts online. Many will hit you up for a shipping cost and then disappear when you advise them of the cost.

That is defined tickling my lazy bone.
That kit also doesn’t come with the brake booster either . Rubber lines instead of the better steel braided etc . Every part number is in this thread man . The op did his whole swap based off of all of our input . It’s a matter of plugging part numbers into rock auto and lmr and ordering it all then picking wheels you like and sourcing spindles . Nothing to be lazy about the work is done for you

• Winner
In digging around I came across this:

For $500 it seems like a complete and more “entry level” kit that does not require the same level of invest. I fully am aware that performance will not be as some of the other kits outlined here - but has anyone tried or had any experience with this more simplified kit?

For $500 it seems like a complete and more “entry level” kit that does not require the same level of invest. I fully am aware that performance will not be as some of the other kits outlined here - but has anyone tried or had any experience with this more simplified kit?

That kit looks like it comes with Lincoln front rotors which will work but have a taller hat on the rotor so most wheels won't fit with there center caps installed. It's basically the same kit everyone else sells.. actually LMR is a good bit cheaper for the same thing https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4234K/1987...MI6Yi2vsOC5AIVzGSGCh3ZFgIaEAQYASABEgJK8vD_BwE

I'd skip it and piece together sn94/95 parts honestly

• Agree

The tried and true Lincoln Mark 7 rotors, and ranger rear axles and drums kit.

I bet if you look up part store rotors and drums, and buy 5-lug axles of your choice, you'll end up much cheaper.

Mark7 rotors can't be much. Then buy this instead

The kits are actually cheap for what they are. WAAAAAY back in the day when Ford sold the M-1126-A 5-lug drum kit, it was $399 for the rear axles and drums alone. Long since discontinued though

Last edited:

Bud , this is the issue these kits do nothing except let you run a select few 5 lug wheels . It does zero for braking at that point you may as well not do it .

They stop like crap with stock brakes and that’s what you’ll still have stock brakes . You may as well just buy 4 lug wheels you like and leave it the way it is.

I agree with TOOLOW91. Two paths available to you. Upgrade the stock brakes with different pads, fresh brake fluid and maybe 4 lug rotors in the back. You're looking at under $700 if you do it yourself. Or go whole hog and get the big brake ('03-'04 Cobra 5 lug/4 wheel disc kit. You can save some money by not buying the powder coated calipers and piecemealing items from Rock Auto and elsewhere, but you're still looking at nearly $2,000. But you'll have world class brakes at that point.

Bud , this is the issue these kits do nothing except let you run a select few 5 lug wheels . It does zero for braking at that point you may as well not do it .

They stop like crap with stock brakes and that’s what you’ll still have stock brakes . You may as well just buy 4 lug wheels you like and leave it the way it is.

Thank you - much appreciated. I understand better the difference now.

I throw my .02 in there.
I’ve been collecting eBay parts and refinishing them for this swap. Between my front PBR calipers (not cobra but upgrade nonetheless), and my spindles, I’m in for $215 from ebay, and a few more dollars for pistons, seals, and caliper to spindle bolts. Another $70 for brand new hubs. So call it $300. I also got a 1”bore MC from an older model Lincoln for $25. (hoping this works). Still need the booster.
I was real close to buying that rear drum axle swap off LMR. I hate these wheels and can’t wait to see it the way I imagine it, with the wheels I want.
However, I am now going to continue on the disc path and do the rears too. Much like @Habu135 , I want to do this once, and do it right. I want it lowered too, so I may even wait to get those parts so I can really just do it once!
I have more parts to collect for sure, and because I’m ‘86, I need new front struts too (more money). Depending on the struts i choose, and other misc. (brake lines, booster, hardware, prop valve, etc) I’m done with the front for prob between 6 and 7 hundred. In the end, if I’m patient enough, I’ll hopefully be happy with the end result, and know I did it right. I’m watching daily for rear calipers that I can refinish, but I may end up just buying remans. We’ll see.
I guess what I’m trying to say, if you have the means, don’t skimp out. It it means waiting a bit until you do, you’ll be much happier with the car in the end. And there are definitely ways to get an upgraded setup without breaking the bank on an all inclusive kit.