Engine 130k Mile Car, Intake Manifold Failure, And The Future Of This Vehicle.

Bruntic

Dec 29, 2013
I have a 2001 Mustang GT with widened tires, race suspension, is lowered 4 inches, and has an aftermarket exhaust. This car means a lot to me and has been in my life longer than it hasn't. I want to slowly make it into a sleeper. I don't know how to work on engines and don't know what to look for. I' am going to learn to take it apart and such from the maintenance manuals. I know my manifold is blown but I need to know what other parts of my engine to look into.

Bottom line is, at 130,000 miles, what should I be looking for in terms of longevity of my engine. What should I look for to keep my engine out of possible future failures?

• Sponsors (?)

The intake manifold is the most common 1st failure issue. Typically the second issue will be the timing chain & sliders. Convenient if you planned on a performance cam, lifter, & timing chain swap. Otherwise, it'll have the same issues any engine with 130+ miles on it can run into.... Hoses dry-rotting, water pumps\alternators\fuel pumps\etc failing.....

The intake manifold is the most common 1st failure issue. Typically the second issue will be the timing chain & sliders. Convenient if you planned on a performance cam, lifter, & timing chain swap. Otherwise, it'll have the same issues any engine with 130+ miles on it can run into.... Hoses dry-rotting, water pumps\alternators\fuel pumps\etc failing.....
Overall, my 99 GT hasa been reliable (owned since new) . I did enter "failure mode" when I had to have it sit for a few months. The fuel pump died. The MAF sensor croaked.

As far as the internal engine stuff, i don't worry , since I change filters and oil regularly. The clutch is holding up fine, since most of my miles were highway miles

You have to realize that these cars run on numerous sensors/computers/modules, and the trouble codes can and will be misleading. You have to learn to use a multimeter and get a scan rig, or OBDII reader..

Both prior posts are correct. These cars seem to live forever when properly cared for. Routine maintenance and fixing the small or limited life parts with quality replacements will keep you on the road for a long time.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/24010-cust.pdf

That link has done A LOT for me. I studied everything in & around this job until my parts shipped home. I luckily have time and patience of not needing the car daily so I am at day 3 of my tear down cleaning & making sure everything is good to be put back on. Mind you I am doing this in my apartment parking stall, had limited tool (neighbors) are a good thing if they buy & sell cars!

I studied that & purchased a ford intake from AmericanMuscle.com, planned my tear down; cleaned same parts while replacing the standard stuff. The schrader valve I sat there released the pressure had no issues removing the fuel line & fuel rail. Biggest hang up is the: two rear bolts on the intake manifold (just push those wire harnesses out of your way my plastics broke I could care less) the heater hose & careful pulling straight up on the cruise control cable mine popped off with little brief force.

Its a learning experience & other than doing tranny service yourself if you plan to; probably the most major thing you will need to have to do unless stated about you plan to mod other engine components. Take your time, depending the gasket mess or mild pitting on your block just one thing at a time. I took time to label my electronic plugs & coils etc; not trying to guess later on on anything.

Pop a new manifold on it and keep driving it. The intake is a weak spot and the fact that it went 130K before failing is pretty good. The new manifold should address the weak point.