17x8/17x9?What size is right and what size of tires would be best with no rubbing??

fleury26

Nov 23, 2004
I am ordering my cobra rims today along with my rubber. Before I make the call I wanted some feedback on what you guys think. I want it to look as bad ass as possible but, I don't want to be affraid of turning my steering?? How wide can I go???front and back??

• Sponsors (?)

i have 17X8 wheels and run 235-45-17 up front and 255-40-17's on the back with absolutly no rubbing problems. i would say the same for 17x9's but a 245-45 might look better in the front.. not too sure on the 17x9's

here is mine with the 17x8 wheels
253339_262_full.jpg
253339_237_full.jpg

235/45 front 275/40 back.

Due to the extra body roll my torque arm produce I have rubbing in hard cornering. I'm re-doing my front suspension which has stock springs at the moment. Once I go witht he race springs (h&R) and bilstein struts and shocks it should reduce body roll and fight againts the rubbing.

Thanks for the replies. I think that I will order 17x8 for the front and 17x9 for the back. I still am not sure on what tire size but I am leaning towards 255/45/17 in the front and 275/45/17 for the back????

Well... it will depend on the bs of the wheels. Assuming it's going on a fox? I had AFS cobra r's, 17x8 upfront(4.95bs) with 245-45 and 17x9(5.95bs) rears with 275/40 on my 91.

I did have to flip the rear quads to run the 275 tire. The car was lowered 1.5", slight rubbing on rears when the car hit a dip at 35mph. The fronts also rubbed a bit when I did a full turn in either direction.

Stay with the 245s on the front but feel free to go with 275 or 285s on the rear my 17x9 up front with 245 rub a little on bumps and hard corners. Do go with the 17x8s on the ront though, definite 17x9s out back!!!! Which wheels are you going with?

I have 17x9 FRPP Cobra R rims at all corners with 255's. The front rubs at full turn, but it's no big deal. I plan on moving up to 275 at the back. The only possible issue that I can see is that my present tires just barely miss the quad shocks. I might have to yank them when I get bigger tires. I hope that won't cause wheel hop since I still have stock control arms.
I have heard of people "flipping" the quad shocks, but when I tried that, they made full contact with the tire! Maybe the previous owner already flipped them, but the car was completely stock :shrug:

If you have stock rims on right now, you will HAVE to lower the car, or else it will look like you are going 4-wheeling!

ok will this fit a 03 ....I running 17x9 with 6 back spacing m/m rims. tire dealer is saying 255x17 stock on the 99 cobra? is this a common tire anyone running 275x17 all the way round with a 1 1/4 drop

i have 17x8 and 17x9 and rock 235/45 and 265/40. Use the tire height calculator on tirerack.com. My setup is as close to stock height as possible and almost same height front and back. Good luck.

by the way i had to roll the front fenders and hammer the inside fender well on the rears, I tried it without quads but the handling and launching suffered. flipped the quads and its great

Anyone know of some really good makers of ford rims? AFS is about the only company I have really heard of - how are they and does anyone else know of other good companies out there (particularly of the 95' Cobra R rims)?