19641/2 Mustang convertible valve covers need to know what color they should be

• Sponsors (?)

My 65 has a black block and gold valve covers and a gold breather. I've had people tell me it should be ford blue, but the current color combo is correct for 1965 289.
What's your engine code? I've read before that the Mustangs that are considered "1964½" have different engine codes than their 1965 counterparts.

Or were all 289 1965-1966 blocks painted black?

I'll have to look at the engine code tonight. My car was built in August of 1964 if that makes any difference. It doesn't qualify as a 64.5 though. Has a lot of things on it that the 64.5 has but no generator thank god!

I think the 66 blocks were blue.

My car is an A code. I was overthinking the question again. :doh:

Last edited:
I'll have to look at the engine code tonight. My car was built in August of 1964 if that makes any difference. It doesn't qualify as a 64.5 though. Has a lot of things on it that the 64.5 has but no generator thank god!
I don't think there's really anything that is officially 1964½. There was a lot of mixing and matching going on at the assembly lines all through the '60s as far as I know.

There isn't a true designation for a 64.5, but the first cars had generators and used more Falcon parts I believe. It is my understanding that a care built before June or Maybe July of 64 is considered a 64.5. I also believe that all the 64.5 cars came factory with generators not alternators.

I edited my last post, but my car is an A code.