1965 289 V8 Idles great sputters and stalls on the road after minute restarts before stalling

Bullitt09

Sep 5, 2018
new york
I replaced 2bbl carb, plugs, wires, alternator, coil, ignition switch, petronix and solenoid. On the fuel side I had a garage replace the fuel tank and I recently added back a new mechanical fuel pump, but left on aftermarket electric pump as an assist and priming pump with kill switch. The electric pump makes noise as it primes the line but after waiting 30 seconds the fuel gauge levels off and car starts right up. The prior owner has the electric pump wired to accessory on the fuse box 14 amp fuse which also powers my back up lights and turn signal indicator - neither work properly. I thought the mechanical pump would be enough on its own to keep the car running, but it idles better with both pumps running. Is this a clogged fuel line or bad electric pump or both? I have replace the fuel line from the mechanical pump to carb, but have not changed the fuel filter that runs behind electric pump, I didn't replace the fuel tank myself which was done two years ago but would have thought they would check filter and line. The car idles great and gets out of my driveway, but sputters and stalls on the road. If I wait a minute it will restart and I can limp back to the garage. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Mechanical pump should be plenty unless your motor is yuuge. Sounds like too much or too little gas. Pull a spark plug. If it looks clean n dry you may not be getting enough gas. Wet gas covered plug is too much fuel.

shem

Bypass the electric pump, it may be restricting the flow and try that. Pull the line off the carb and see if it pumps fuel out the size of the line when you crank it. You can also pull the line off the input of the mechanical pump and see if it siphons freely, may have a clog.

Reactions: 1 user