1978 Fairmont Build..And just when I thought everybody had put up their toys for the year....

When Mike tries to cut the Aerocatch fasteners into the original hood, will I:

• Do it up

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Screw it up

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foxslider

im not that much of a idiot
Oct 25, 2019
Houston, TX
Hey do it twice mike, since everyone gets input on the build. Im adding a carbon hood. Oh, but. I mean 1 off hand made. Lol.

• Sponsors(?)

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
This whole damn adjustable torque arm only costs 270.00 crossmember included..Maximum Motorsport is just gang raping people.
You edited it @9:33am. Post #451
I bet the 3amd made you do it.

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
This whole damn adjustable torque arm only costs 270.00 crossmember included..Maximum Motorsport is just gang raping people.
You edited it @9:33am. Post #451
I bet the 3amd made you do it.
Fake news. That isn’t a quote, that’s you retyping a bunch of slanderous lies. Show me in my thread history where it exists in normal space, not your “ put anything you want to say, where you want it” Mod only, double secret probation privileged access space.

• Haha
Reactions: General karthief

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
1602514099532.png

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I’m at a point of clarity finally on this stupid assed torque arm project. Too many compromises, too many uncertainties, too many risky choices.

The Crossmember, although now properly centered is still a concern..it’s too damn low for proper ground clearance. Now that I don’t need the room for the original design, there is several inches up I can move the thing. Right now at the height it is, it’s gonna scrape..It is exactly at the same height the exhaust clamp was that scraped everytime. I originally set this as my “ absolute no lower than” with the original design, and now that’s not needed.

So, now that I have completely been over that step multiple times, I know exactly how I want it.

The “ male part” of the main spar is a potential weak point. it’s bolted on to the end of the main spar. Its also welded, but in the end, it’s a “ lever” being held at the end, with maybe 500 ft lbs of torque continually applied trying to snap it off.

I’m going to get a much longer shaft, and cut a channel into the main spar so that I can weld the thing so there’ll be no break point on the front. I’ll also get a solid shaft.

The material I chose for the panhard bar mount is too thin. Although I haven’t made that yet, I’ve decided to up the wall thickness of the entire mount to minimize any chance of flexing at either end. I don’t know if I’m being overly anal about that, since it was my plan to diagonally brace the thing to the actual rod end mount point...I don’t want to add a bunch of heavy duty sht back there if I don’t need to,...I just don’t want to have it fail and have to do it over, or worse, wreck because of it.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
When it doesn't snap and you crash, you'll be glad you redid it a couple times and going for more beef is better. :eek:
You gotta know that if that thing broke, there’d be no saving anything,....first ( if it broke under acceleration) it would slam into the driveshaft, and as soon as that would happen, I’d lift, and it would immediately slam down to the pavement..where it would undoubtedly dig in...becoming a 100 mph pole vault.

Uhhh..No said the finger :nono:

• Agree
Reactions: Davedacarpainter

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
It wasn't supposed to be here till tomorrow,...but at the last minute. It arrives.
20201013_180652.jpg

The cure for those who might be kept awake at 3AM wondering if the panhard bar they're gonna build may flex in a hard corner.
1" .120 wall DOM Chromoly tubing.