Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

This whole damn adjustable torque arm only costs 270.00 crossmember included..Maximum Motorsport is just gang raping people.
You edited it @9:33am. Post #451
I bet the 3amd made you do it.
Fake news. That isn’t a quote, that’s you retyping a bunch of slanderous lies. Show me in my thread history where it exists in normal space, not your “ put anything you want to say, where you want it” Mod only, double secret probation privileged access space.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
More C2/T2...
At lunch I made the rear axle mounts.
20201012_122729.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I’m at a point of clarity finally on this stupid assed torque arm project. Too many compromises, too many uncertainties, too many risky choices.

The Crossmember, although now properly centered is still a concern..it’s too damn low for proper ground clearance. Now that I don’t need the room for the original design, there is several inches up I can move the thing. Right now at the height it is, it’s gonna scrape..It is exactly at the same height the exhaust clamp was that scraped everytime. I originally set this as my “ absolute no lower than” with the original design, and now that’s not needed.

So, now that I have completely been over that step multiple times, I know exactly how I want it.

The “ male part” of the main spar is a potential weak point. it’s bolted on to the end of the main spar. Its also welded, but in the end, it’s a “ lever” being held at the end, with maybe 500 ft lbs of torque continually applied trying to snap it off.

I’m going to get a much longer shaft, and cut a channel into the main spar so that I can weld the thing so there’ll be no break point on the front. I’ll also get a solid shaft.

The material I chose for the panhard bar mount is too thin. Although I haven’t made that yet, I’ve decided to up the wall thickness of the entire mount to minimize any chance of flexing at either end. I don’t know if I’m being overly anal about that, since it was my plan to diagonally brace the thing to the actual rod end mount point...I don’t want to add a bunch of heavy duty sht back there if I don’t need to,...I just don’t want to have it fail and have to do it over, or worse, wreck because of it.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
When it doesn't snap and you crash, you'll be glad you redid it a couple times and going for more beef is better. :eek:
You gotta know that if that thing broke, there’d be no saving anything,....first ( if it broke under acceleration) it would slam into the driveshaft, and as soon as that would happen, I’d lift, and it would immediately slam down to the pavement..where it would undoubtedly dig in...becoming a 100 mph pole vault.

Uhhh..No said the finger :nono:

• Agree
I'll be watching with great interest. I had a sketch for one drawn up that I intended to build on the silver car, but we all know what happened there.
For what it's worth, it had the pivoting forward mount like you are showing as well. I have a couple of poly joint ends if you wanna use them in lieu of the heim joints?

I'll be watching with great interest. I had a sketch for one drawn up that I intended to build on the silver car, but we all know what happened there.
For what it's worth, it had the pivoting forward mount like you are showing as well. I have a couple of poly joint ends if you wanna use them in lieu of the heim joints?
i’m not using heim joints, except in the panhard bar. Still going with the current female poly mount, just raising it considerably.

The Mythbusters spent most of an episode failing to get the front end of a driveshaft to fall off and do a pole vault. They made sparks a lot before they made the pole vault happen. The driveshaft pole vault only worked when it hit the pothole. Then it bent the driveshaft into a Z and it ended up in the back of the car, Now if the rear rotates when the arm is broken, that could be more likely to dig in. The front driveshaft loop probably helps save the bottom of the car and exhaust as much as prevent pole vaulting.

You gotta know that if that thing broke, there’d be no saving anything,....first ( if it broke under acceleration) it would slam into the driveshaft, and as soon as that would happen, I’d lift, and it would immediately slam down to the pavement..where it would undoubtedly dig in...becoming a 100 mph pole vault.

Uhhh..No said the finger :nono:

Wow man, I have missed a lot being away. Interested to see the 2j swap, Mike. Glad to see there’s at least one pic in this thread of the Monster. I’d forgotten what a fabulous looking car it is. Last time I looked at the old thread I saw the 2jz swap had begun, but I never found a reason why. I assume a catastrophic failure of the custom I6? Anyway, good to see you are still at it!