1978 Fairmont Build Chapter 11.A different New Hope.

When Mike tries to cut the Aerocatch fasteners into the original hood, will I:

• Do it up

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Screw it up

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I think my sleep pattern is evolving..Now if I go to bed with something not right on the car, the 3amd doesn’t wake me,....I wake him.

I don’t know if I‘ve had any sleep really...I laid in bed thinking “ I wonder what’s different in the pump that it’s so tight?“
I know that there are at least 2 different 4l80e’s.....an early, and a late model, and I’m sure that those two pumps don’t interchange, but it’s only a matter of where the holes are in the pump, i can’t believe that they actually made the hole that the pump sits in any different. When it became sane to consider getting up, and possibly making noise in the lower garage, that is right below the master bedroom,....(where Kate was busy not worrying about my car,...snoring away)...I got up got a cup of coffee, and googled “What’s the difference between 4l80e front pumps”..

Turns out there are 3 different ones. 91-96, 97-03, and 04 and up. You can’t put the early pump in any of the later year models, and you can put the mid year pump in the later model trans, by plugging a hole, and you can’t put the late model pump in any thing else...I wonder what I’ve got.
I research my ebay purchases....I’ve got an 07 trans.......and I bought a 97-03 pump.....and...I didn’t plug the hole,..And it is now bolted down tight.
Last night, the pump was only snugged, and had no oring installed. It took all I could do to get that thing out, and I damaged the case trying...Now,..the oring is installed, and the thing has been torqued down all night long. I’m thinking that this will probably be the death nail for the trans.
I research how a trans shop gets that thing out, and most of the time they just pop it out with a screwdriver like i had been able to do with the old pump,..but for stubborn pumps, there is a tool..that costs 400.
I decided to make one..and at 6:30 am, that’s what I’m doing. By 8 i have the contraption fabbed up, and put it to the test..

No worky.

After another hour of tapping, prying, and tightening that damn puller tool, the front pump finally pops up.I lift the thing out, and sure enough, there’s the additional hole I’ll have to plug..The case managed to escape any further damage, but just to be safe, i figure i’ll tip it nose down so that any chunk of sht that may have gotten down inside it might fall out.
20200910_101543.jpg

The front drum assembly dumps out instead. I pick it up, and the input shaft pulls out of the drum.. Not supposed to happen.
I put the thing on the bench, and inspect it..there is a relief cut in the input shaft for a lock ring that holds the whole assembly together so that when you grab the input shaft, the whole front assembly lifts out as a unit.
Now the input shaft pulls right through it. And how that thing even got this way is beyond me..It’s missing a little wire lock ring.
But...there it is..right on the bench..( I was wondering what that thing went to)..The strange part is that I had no occasion to remove it. I never took that assembly apart.

By now,..I’m looking at the original pump..The one with the too big of a hole drilled in it, and the spacer impressions in the pump passages...This freaking thing literally drops into the transmission, and lifts right back out. I decide that aim gonna make this thing work.
I tap the too big hole, and screw in a red loctited 4-40 screw. Then I drill the tiny hole right next to it. I take the other bushing I bought yesterday, and install it. I put the new gears that I had put in the tight pump into the original...now all that was left to do was decide how to deal with the impressions the spacers had left in the pump passages..

Why...JB Weld of course...All i wanted was a very thin smear so that it would fill the low parts where the spacers had left the impressions,..so I mixed up a small amount...painted the three areas where the spacers had left an imprint, and bolted that bitch back together..Hopefully it does the trick.

I put the pump back in, it goes together perfectly,..and I get the trans moved from the stand to my jack. By now, I have a plate and strap assembly to make installation of that enormous pig a fairly easy task. The pan, and plate have “ witness marks” so I know exactly where the balance point on the jack is..Within 15 minutes, that thing is back in place.
Only this time there ain’t no cheese bag t nut barely holding the trans in.
20200910_142240.jpg

This time there‘s a 7/16” nut back behind every hole, held there by a little metal strap.
Once tight, I moved to the tail shaft mount...
20200910_142308.jpg

And now you know What the hell that thing is. Through bolted from the top using the floor reinforcement for structure, I prefer this type of method to a traditional trans mount that gets in the way of the exhaust.
20200910_142330.jpg

the metal is pretty thin,..I added the 16ga plate as additional reinforcement. 5 bolts hold the thing in place.
The last thing I did today was put the driveshaft in place,..and spun it....by hand.
20200910_143429.jpg

20200910_143541.jpg

These are the pig tails that go up and down with the trans. once that tunnel piece gets in there, it’ll be right against the front fitting,..no way i’m fighting that damn thing. You can also see the little nut plates that the tunnel bolts back to,welded to the floor.

So,..I should be on track to start it on Sunday..Ordinarily at 4 PM on my day off I’d still be working on it, but by the time I had the driveshaft installed, I was done dicking with it.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sponsors(?)

droopie85gt

Hookers and Beer for life!
Dec 26, 2016
Cordova, TN
Is that a picture of your arm or of one of the "Gray" aliens that came to abduct you to put the car out of your misery?

I do like the removable tunnel. Could you document this and NOT delete the thread until I have another car and decide to copy this or not?

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Is that a picture of your arm or of one of the "Gray" aliens that came to abduct you to put the car out of your misery?

I do like the removable tunnel. Could you document this and NOT delete the thread until I have another car and decide to copy this or not?
The tunnel has no documentation. It was hackery..I never take pics of hackery. Simply put, I cut the tunnel along the flat transition where the tunnel became the floor, and 3/4” away from the back of the firewall. I took that cut out piece, and added a 3/4” border along the perimeter of the cut out piece. ( required that I “pie cut” kerfs out so that it would follow the curves)
I welded the border to the tunnel, and screwed it down with shooters. I removed the shooter screws, and drilled the holes open to 1/4”. I took 1x1/8” strips, and transferred the hole spacing from the floor, to the strip. Drilled the strips, welded a 1/4” nut to each hole, then bolted the tunnel back in using the strips as a backer. Once tight, I welded the strips to the floor.

And you’ve been wondering what I’ve been doing with myself..

Reactions: KZGUNS

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
How much pressure does this pump see? Is it something that might leak later with your screw in place?
The epoxy is unlikely to push out..the impressions i’m talking about are probably .010 deep. and the two halves are holding the tiny amount of goop i placed there “ in place”. All I wanted it to do was level out the recess (s) to better enable a perfect match between the mating surfaces. I’m thinkin that will happen.

Last edited:

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I did something that I haven’t done in months last night...

I slept.

I‘m sure partly because of the fact that I had not slept at all the night before, and partly because I busted my ass on the car for 8 hours straight. Add another “partly“ because of the two glasses of whiskey before going to bed, and don’t forget to include the “partly” because of the melatonin I took...but all of that wouldn’t have mattered if...There was anything about anything bothering me .

And as much as I could worry about the glued together front pump...or the little screw inside that pump that could wreak holy hell if it ever comes back out, or the whole “will the fckin transmission even work AT ALL” ( considering I’ve now managed to find 3 separate pieces that I’ve left out of the transmission over the course of this whole conversion) I’m somehow not worried.

Its like the Dalai Lama visited me, and bestowed total consciousness on me..

So I got that going for me........Which is nice. :banana:

Last edited:

droopie85gt

Dec 26, 2016
Cordova, TN
The tunnel has no documentation. It was hackery..I never take pics of hackery. Simply put, I cut the tunnel along the flat transition where the tunnel became the floor, and 3/4” away from the back of the firewall. I took that cut out piece, and added a 3/4” border along the perimeter of the cut out piece. ( required that I “pie cut” kerfs out so that it would follow the curves)
I welded the border to the tunnel, and screwed it down with shooters. I removed the shooter screws, and drilled the holes open to 1/4”. I took 1x1/8” strips, and transferred the hole spacing from the floor, to the strip. Drilled the strips, welded a 1/4” nut to each hole, then bolted the tunnel back in using the strips as a backer. Once tight, I welded the strips to the floor.

And you’ve been wondering what I’ve been doing with myself..
Seems nutserts would be an easy solution. But you seem to like burning MIG wire. I'm not sure what you call putting jb weld inside a transmission. Hackery, butchery, witchcraft???

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
5 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
Seems nutserts would be an easy solution. But you seem to like burning MIG wire. I'm not sure what you call putting jb weld inside a transmission. Hackery, butchery, witchcraft???
It's call a hail mary of course.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
it’s called...fixt..

Get on board, or get off the boat, cause this sht is sailing to melt down town...

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: elarm1 and Rdub6

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Im close.
I came home at 6 last night, and spent a frenzied hour doing the little stuff before attempting to cover it all up with the top of the tunnel..
20200911_180451.jpg

I added the dipstick, and tied the pigtails together. ( Pay no attention to the tumor on the floor,..the monster has had to take one more for the team with regard to getting the pig to fit.)
I added back the down pipe..
20200911_175728.jpg

20200911_175753.jpg

Everything squeezes by w/o too much trauma...
All of the trans bolts are tight..
20200911_175803.jpg

Then I put the cover in place.
or at least I tried to..
If the dipstick tube wasn’t there, everything would be all lovey-dove...But,...that tube is there. And it’s just enough additional height to cause a interference between it and the top of the tunnel..Fortunately the whole piece is flexible enough to allow me to force it into place..
That dipstick will never come out with the cover in place.

Im completely on track for a Sunday start. I’m hoping that everything works.

Last edited:

droopie85gt

Dec 26, 2016
Cordova, TN
I think he finally renamed the car. WartHog. That floor has a new wart on it. Or he could go with Phuketol Mobile.

I'll turn to the southest (from my location) and look for the mushroom cloud. If this Ford-Toyota-GM conglomeration fails to perform, my Spidey senses detect impending nuke meltdown.

74stang2togo

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Im close.
I came home at 6 last night, and spent a frenzied hour doing the little stuff before attempting to cover it all up with the top of the tunnel..
20200911_180451.jpg

I added the dipstick, and tied the pigtails together. ( Pay no attention to the tumor on the floor,..the monster has had to take one more for the team with regard to getting the pig to fit.)
I added back the down pipe..
20200911_175728.jpg

20200911_175753.jpg

Everything squeezes by w/o too much trauma...
All of the trans bolts are tight..
20200911_175803.jpg

Then I put the cover in place.
or at least I tried to..
If the dipstick tube wasn’t there, everything would be all lovey-dove...But,...that tube is there. And it’s just enough additional height to cause a interference between it and the top of the tunnel..Fortunately the whole piece is flexible enough to allow me to force it into place..
That dipstick will never come out with the cover in place.

Im completely on track for a Sunday start. I’m hoping that everything works.
Don't sweat the tunnel-hump. Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge, and Maserati have all done it on their somewhat-related cars.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
sooo... what did you get done today?
I worked my real Job...I have to work on Saturday so I can dick off on Sunday.
I think he finally renamed the car. WartHog. That floor has a new wart on it. Or he could go with Phuketol Mobile.

I'll turn to the southest (from my location) and look for the mushroom cloud. If this Ford-Toyota-GM conglomeration fails to perform, my Spidey senses detect impending nuke meltdown.
If any car gets named after a pig, it should be a pre-64 falcon....But then that insults the pig..
Don't sweat the tunnel-hump. Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge, and Maserati have all done it on their somewhat-related cars.
Im not,..There is a similar tumor on the other side that had to be put there to allow the shifting mechanism the proper clearance,..but that was done when the car was in build phase, v1.0. it’s fully welded, ground smooth, and kinda looks like the floor. But I was younger then, and I cared more than one RRBH about how the floor looked. Now, 7 years later I dont even care one rats red bunion hole about a riveted bulge that’s under the carpet.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
The wife has decided that we need to buy a new dishwasher. Keeps bitchin about how this thing will sometimes just not clean the dishes.. ( I think the fact that sometimes, a cooking utensil will block the spinny doo-hicky that is on the bottom of the top rack, and stuff doesn’t get clean as a result might have something to do with that),...but She’s the one that does the dishes about 99% of the time and if it makes her stop bitching about ”this fcking dishwasher”...Who am I to argue?

The problem with that is that she wants to shop....Tomorrow. D day for Monster restart..and I was expecting to have all day to myself....I gotta figure out some way to divert her from that path. I can’t tell her she’s loading the dishwasher wrong,...I’ll get told to load the phckin thing myself.
If I take the thing apart to inspect it, to see if something might be plugged. With my luck lately, i’ll permanently disable the thing, and not only will I lose the time it took to phck it up, I’ll either have to do the dishes myself until we get a new one, or go get a new one, and spend the rest of the day installing it.
I can fake an illness,..tell her I can’t lay on my back without getting nauseous,..or just pretend to not hear her when she tells me it’s time to go..This is a Kobayashi Maru.

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
The wife has decided that we need to buy a new dishwasher. Keeps bitchin about how this thing will sometimes just not clean the dishes.. ( I think the fact that sometimes, a cooking utensil will block the spinny doo-hicky that is on the bottom of the top rack, and stuff doesn’t get clean as a result might have something to do with that),...but She’s the one that does the dishes about 99% of the time and if it makes her stop bitching about ”this fcking dishwasher”...Who am I to argue?

The problem with that is that she wants to shop....Tomorrow. D day for Monster restart..and I was expecting to have all day to myself....I gotta figure out some way to divert her from that path. I can’t tell her she’s loading the dishwasher wrong,...I’ll get told to load the phckin thing myself.
If I take the thing apart to inspect it, to see if something might be plugged. With my luck lately, i’ll permanently disable the thing, and not only will I lose the time it took to phck it up, I’ll either have to do the dishes myself until we get a new one, or go get a new one, and spend the rest of the day installing it.
I can fake an illness,..tell her I can’t lay on my back without getting nauseous,..or just pretend to not hear her when she tells me it’s time to go..This is a Kobayashi Maru.
Screw it Mike, you know down deep you’ll have to go get that dishwasher. Accept it, figure out a way to make it quick as possible, and go start the monster.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S WTB/Trade 1978 Mustang2 parts Mustang II Parts 0
G flexplate needed for a 1978 mustang ii (5L V8) 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
DIVER900 For Sale 1978 2.8L v6 power steering pump Mustang II Parts 0
G 1978 mustang ll motor mount 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
A 1978 302 Serpentine conversion 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
7 78 sport package ghia rarity 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 12
L 1978 king cobra center wheel hub 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
L 1978 wheel cap Cobra picture 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 0
D Plug gap for 1978 302 in '67 Mustang? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 6
R Headers for a 1978 Mach 1? 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 5
K 1978 engine swap v6 to??? 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 9
3 New Member: 1978 M II Mach I 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 12
C 1978 MUSTANG II V6 Swap 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 11
F 1978 rear end swap 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 5
N Building a Daily Driver 1977 1978 V8 Auto 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 4
colorado cobra Suspension 1978- Manual vs. Power Outer Tie Rods 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
N 1978 Mustang Will a chevy 305 fit in it 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 13
S Wheels-Tires 1978 5 lug disc brake upgrade and looking to fit 17 inch wheels 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 0
colorado cobra Interior and Upholstery 1978 King Cobra missing radio delete panel 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 6
Vic1978 Drivetrain 1978 Cobra Anyone Ever Install Performance Automatic Valve Body? 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 4
colorado cobra Engine 1978 King Cobra Engine Seized From Sitting 25yrs. 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 15
9 For Sale NOS 1978 King Cobra Wheel Mustang II Parts 6
D New Guys 1978 Coupe The Welcome Wagon 1
T trying to use 1979 clutch facing and pressure plate on 1978 flywheel 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 17
Vic1978 1978 Cobra Vacuum Ported Switch Question 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
Vic1978 1978 Cobra Smog Tube Help 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
R For Sale Pair Of Tailights From 1978 King Cobra Mustang II Parts 0
Vic1978 Build Thread 1978 King Cobra Build 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 66
Vic1978 WTB/Trade 1978 Mustang 302 Headers Mustang II Parts 1
Vic1978 Found Need Dash Pad 1978 Cobra Mustang II Parts 3
Vic1978 WTB/Trade Need A Fan Shroud 1978 302 Mustang II Parts 1
Vic1978 1978 Cobra Engine Harness Routing Help 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 6
78ttop For Sale 1978 Mustang Ii T-top Fastback For Sale Mustang II Parts 1
P 1978 302 Mustang Ii Clutch 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 10
G Expired 1978 Mustang Ii Fastback For Sale Mustang II Parts 0
5 Cl Find 1978 Mustang Ii King Cobra - $3400 (pensacola) 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 0
V 1978 Mustang Ii Smog Removal 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
V Value Of 1978 King Cobra 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 4
rusty428cj Build Thread 1978 Mustang I I 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 128
W For Sale 1978 Cobra Mustang Ii, 4 Speed 302. Grand Rapids, Michigan Mustang II Parts 4
M Expired 1976-1978 Lincoln Versailes Disc Brake Rearend For Early Mustang Swap Drivetrain Parts 1
kcobra302 Expired 1978 king cobra Other Classifieds 0
Jordan Carry 1978 King Cobra Mustang II restoration 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 6
L Free Parts From My 1978 Coupe 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 0
7 1978 Ford Mustang II T-Tops for sale Mustang II Parts 1
B 5.0 into 1978 Mustang Help 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3
D V-8 Mach 1 1978 parts for conversions Mustang II Parts 0
K Looking for my father's '65 convertible, sold in 1978 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
Bmwz389 1978 Mustang II Coupe for sale Mustang II Parts 2
Bmwz389 1978 4 Cyl Hard to Stay Running. 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 3