Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Sigh...Ive hinted as to the status of the 620 pager...but only one has went on the quest to find it. I’ve even dropped a crumb in the last 5 replies,...But as with all of what i write here...only 10% actually goes in the one ear/eye.
So far, only one has managed to go rambling through the Stangnet attic, and found the lurking beast..
Just know..that it’s still here, thanks to your site administrator.

I've known where it was for awhile. I've just left the subject alone because you feel the need to rebuild your build thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It kills me.
The amount of money I spend on cars..
Today I paid off the CC i used to buy the 4l80e stuff...A total of $3300...and the trans itself is still a used 40-50k mile salvage piece.

As per my last update, I’m going to be sure to hook up the heater core this time. That requires a re-loc of the entrance under the dash to get the hot water to the heater core..
The AN hose and the fittings required to do that cost me 227.00...Pretty pricey for a heater that may never see a tenp that dips below 75 degrees..

But, you never know.

Its gonna rain All day Thursday,..( My day off ) the remnants of Hurricane Sally, making its way up from the coast..I figure what better chance to do the right thing by the Monster...

Reactions: 3 users
This popped up on YouTube and it immediately made me think of your build. Hopefully this helps provide some inspiration for the finished product. Plus, the footage from both the inside and the outside is pretty fun to watch. Jump straight to 2:40 if you don't want the backstory.

GoPro in Supra Intake

This popped up on YouTube and it immediately made me think of your build. Hopefully this helps provide some inspiration for the finished product. Plus, the footage from both the inside and the outside is pretty fun to watch. Jump straight to 2:40 if you don't want the backstory.

GoPro in Supra Intake
I’ll give you some back story . FYI the red stuff in the Intake is power steering fluid . A known issue of where they have a tendency to leak back to the Intake because Of the switch failing for the idle kick that it senses off vacuum when turning the wheel .

I feel you Mike the an hose and fittings nearly cost me as much as the turbos did.
So from this I take that you did buy two turbos after all? I don’t know how you’ll be able to regulate boost pressure on internally gated turbos.

GoPro in Supra Intake
Im just hoping the thing runs like this. I’m really hoping it sounds like this.....No check that....I just hope it runs.
I’ll give you some back story . FYI the red stuff in the Intake is power steering fluid . A known issue of where they have a tendency to leak back to the Intake because Of the switch failing for the idle kick that it senses off vacuum when turning the wheel .
Clearly, an issue the Prius EPS “ Monsta-steer” will solve.

It kills me.
The amount of money I spend on cars..
Today I paid off the CC i used to buy the 4l80e stuff...A total of $3300...and the trans itself is still a used 40-50k mile salvage piece.

As per my last update, I’m going to be sure to hook up the heater core this time. That requires a re-loc of the entrance under the dash to get the hot water to the heater core..
The AN hose and the fittings required to do that cost me 227.00...Pretty pricey for a heater that may never see a tenp that dips below 75 degrees..

But, you never know.

Its gonna rain All day Thursday,..( My day off ) the remnants of Hurricane Sally, making its way up from the coast..I figure what better chance to do the right thing by the Monster...

You gotta pay to play, right? I feel bad for everyone on the coast....this flooding is going to be terrible. And I think crusing the coast will probably be impacted. Right now the coast is a mile or two inland.

You gotta pay to play, right? I feel bad for everyone on the coast....this flooding is going to be terrible. And I think crusing the coast will probably be impacted. Right now the coast is a mile or two inland.
I was thinking that it has came in between Mobile, and Pensacola. Cruisin the Coast is 100 miles to the west...I’ll guess we’ll see.

Mike you do realize that modern internally gated turbos still have an adjustment.. I dont have to swap springs in mine its an adjustment on the tension rod between the gate and the pressure diaphragm.. The gate still has 2 ports a top and bottom and can be controlled just like an external gate.

Mike you do realize that modern internally gated turbos still have an adjustment.. I dont have to swap springs in mine its an adjustment on the tension rod between the gate and the pressure diaphragm.. The gate still has 2 ports a top and bottom and can be controlled just like an external gate.
Clearly, I did not realize any of that.

Last edited:
just waiting on thevfittings
Who knows? A storm that actually hits that area hard enough to mess things up maybe.
I was thinking that you was gonna cite the Rona Virus..
I guarantee ya, just like Sturgis, the majority of the people participating in this event will be the same type of non-mask wearing “ fake-virus” claiming types too.

• Agree
just waiting on thevfittings

I was thinking that you was gonna cite the Rona Virus..
I guarantee ya, just like Sturgis, the majority of the people participating in this event will be the same type of non-mask wearing “ fake-virus” claiming types too.

Well since the Atlantic Basic is fuller than Roseanne Barr at a Golden Coral, there are still about 10 to the nth power of hurricanes to come...like some Sharknado movie franchise, so there are still many, many chances for Mississippi Gulf coast to get hit.

• Haha
Aren't there another 4 or 5 storms that are brewing in the Atlantic right now? My ex- SIL lives in Fort Myers and posts about that stuff all the time. Last I saw from her she was sharing someone's post about more storms currently forming.....

Aren't there another 4 or 5 storms that are brewing in the Atlantic right now? My ex- SIL lives in Fort Myers and posts about that stuff all the time. Last I saw from her she was sharing someone's post about more storms currently forming.....
Yeah, somebody told me that there were that many still waiting to happen..I’m gonna take them one at a time.

Ive taken that week end off...the hotel rooms are booked..Sunday is gonna be beautiful, and a great day to put this thing back on its tires and see if it’s truly running right. With three weeks before cruisin the coast left to go.
If everything works out to where that car is ready to go,..it’ll be me an the monster travel in’ through the deepest of the deep south..I can hardly stand it!!!

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
I’m pretty dang excited for you (and me too) Mike.

I wish I could swing out to see it run. It’s not gonna sound like a tractor now though. That’ll be disappointing.......