Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

Huh - so that's what you sound like w/o the background noise of an engine.

I've got nothing. If it was a computer crashing or not acting like we think it should I could help you, but firmware in a car is a different matter. Your problem is there is really nothing like your setup, so you don't know what 'correct' looks like.

Maybe a datalog off of a properly running 2JZ would help?

• Sponsors (?)

According to the weather forecast for the Gulf coast of MS, Ill have to drive through rain to get there. Then the next day, ( Friday) All of the people that are down there will be forced to stay inside someplace because the forecasted 100% chance of rain, followed by Saturday, where.......it’s gonna rain. What a perfect opportunity to see how many people can get infected.

Im cancelling.

Again, if you are superstitious, this is yet another hurdle that has been thrown up to prevent me from driving this car...
Somewhere in some dark corner,.....Rod Serling is standing,....smoking a cigarette.

• Wow
  • Loved It!
Reactions: 1 users
If it's any consolation, nobody else will be going either.

1601916131524.png

What a perfect opportunity to see how many people can get infected.

Im cancelling.
Good call. I did everything you're supposed to do, wear masks (I have a dozen different masks for crying out loud), stay away from people, not go to big events... and I still got this :poo:.

No sense in going somewhere that you're inviting it to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Good call. I did everything you're supposed to do, wear masks (I have a dozen different masks for crying out loud), stay away from people, not go to big events... and I still got this :poo:.

No sense in going somewhere that you're inviting it to happen.

Meh,....let that storm veer to the left, I’d be in the car as soon as I see it happen. But, along with my suspicion that a greater force is preventing me from driving this thing, as soon as I started driving that way, the storm would take a right handed jinky-doo.

I believe that I’ve had the virus as an a symptomatic carrier. For a month now, I’ve had a weird, not really sore throat that never seems to go away..but that seems to be the only symptom.
On the car related front,

I called the turbo supplier, they anticipate the turbo in any day now. Then they disassemble the thing, lighten the core, rebalance, ceramic coat the compressor housing. Replace the wonky BW turbine housing with a Garret housing with a really tiny .68 A/R, and thermal coat that before reassembling the thing.

I know that a .68 housing will spool the turbo very quickly ( they’re saying like 2k rpm) it should be the equivalent of having a 600 c.i. Engine. Monster power almost off idle, but if it turns out to be too much, too quick, they’ll swap it out for an .81 housing to slow the ramp in of that power. The Chinee turbo I currently have has an .81 A/R housing,...and it only cost 275.00...For the most part I like this thing, I’m just trying to get it into a more usable boost curve.
( it’s costing me almost 3.5 times that to find out if I made the right choice)
I cut the old hood on one side for the Aerocatch fastener...So far I’m thinking its was a “ Do it up” success story, but it’s not on the car yet, so I’ll have to reserve judgement on that.

And that’s all the news there is fit to tell.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Bored to tears...it’s like somebody turned off the customer faucet here.

Appropriately, as with any Monster, mine constantly evolves. Once one battle is won, I start thinking about what I want next. Typically this would be something I cheesed out on when building it the first time.
And...when considering what is the easiest of the cheesiest...to fix....I gotta think about that for a minute.

Its getting to the point that nothing on the car is exactly cheesy anymore..
There are things that need fixing, like the AC system ( probably requiring a new dryer, maybe a new compressor) but those things are getting few and far between....Now its more like:

A. What needs upgrading.
B. What needs Updating.

On the A side, the rear needs updating. 28 spline axles, although they are hardened Moser units, they are c clipped. The diff is a T loc, and the gears are 3.73's.
( Here,...Ill purposely say this)
I've always wanted a noisy rear end.

Ever since first hearing a Detroit Locker in a 70 mach 1, I had to have one.

Now...Ive got the quietest 500 hp car on this forum.. maybe in the state....Maybe in the nation,.....Maybe in the whole wide world....I need a little noise to offset the waiting room silence.

* or, conversely I could call Muzac, and have them stream elevator music to the LJK.

While I really like this music,....I’m thinking i’ll take Click-click/ Clunk-clunk a DL will make.

• Winner
My 500hp car is probably quieter. And by the way, damn that's a big cat. It's walking around behind your wife, like stalking prey. Better keep it well fed.

Kurt

My 500hp car is probably quieter. And by the way, damn that's a big cat. It's walking around behind your wife, like stalking prey. Better keep it well fed.

Kurt
Reggen of 9. Not likely to ever get sucked up into any radiator cooling fan, anytime soon.

And no..if there’s a cam in your engine or any muffler other than a turbo muffler...mines like a whisper.

If you want noise, how about an electric cutout or a flow valve? Not that an orange Fairmont with side scoops and big, sticky tires is stealthy, but if you are planning a road trip and want to drive home after curfew, quiet is good.
As far as a noisy rear end, make sure it matches the replaced knees. You’ve busted it enough on this project already.

If you want noise, how about an electric cutout or a flow valve? Not that an orange Fairmont with side scoops and big, sticky tires is stealthy, but if you are planning a road trip and want to drive home after curfew, quiet is good.
As far as a noisy rear end, make sure it matches the replaced knees. You’ve busted it enough on this project already.

No, Mike and I are old, quieter the better.

Kurt

Kurt
Except you fly DC 9’s....and bitch about moving people,...I bitch about people that don’t move...
Quiet? You should hear me yelling at the Lexus driving, old assed crustacean merging into traffic in front of me..

Not Quiet.

And you’re freakin 40...add 23 to that imagine “That“ old.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Kurt

Except you fly DC 9’s....and bitch about moving people,...I bitch about people that don’t move...
Quiet? You should hear me yelling at the Lexus driving, old assed crustacean merging into traffic in front of me..

Not Quiet.

And you’re freakin 40...add 23 to that imagine “That“ old.
Aww snap, they're trying to out-curmudgeon each other again! :rlaugh:
boD_dpTmpGs-adjSu5Ugdfm8hadNnaijf9qPXpsNwfo.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You mean you’re at a point where you could fix the A/C and just enjoy going out and driving the car? And you are thinking of reasons to not be able to already? That parked car disease is real with you.
Do you not know who I am by now?!! it’s not about owning this car..it’s about making it. When I run out of stuff to do, what do you think ( you know ) will happen here?