Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

Now before we get all weepy n sht, and planning our next campfire to sing songs around, realize that I'm not making some sort of 12 step AA confession here..." Hi I'm Mike, and...."

Im just saying that whiskey brings out Mr. Hyde...I prefer that I stay Dr Jekyll, and that for all that it is, whiskey ain't that important to me, NOT being perceived as a complete and utter ass hole is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Darn, I was hoping you would at least sing backup and play some instrument for a cover band. Car shows are going to be parties after C-19 settles down. :rock: Bands will be back in demand.

Cutting out caffeine for heart reasons still stinks 2.5 years later. I admire your motivation in your beverage change and wish you luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Now before we get all weepy n sht, and planning our next campfire to sing songs around, realize that I'm not making sort sort of 12 step AA confession here..." Hi I'm Mike, and...."

Im just saying that whiskey brings out Mr. Hyde...I prefer that I stay Dr Jekyll, and that for all that it is, whiskey ain't that important to me, NOT being perceived as a complete and utter ass hole is.

You never bother me. I'm from up North where being obnoxious and condescending is expected between guys. I gave you a ribbing about your booger welds, but mine would look just as bad, and I wouldn't give a :poo: either.

Oh, and I figured out why I was tearing up brake rotors. I didn't shim the brakes wrong, the withered :taco:s that put the axle together didn't press the retaining rings on behind the bearing, and the axle was migrating out of the bearing. Thankfully the squealing from the rotor alerted me to the problem, and the brake caliper kept me from losing a wheel.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
It’s on the ground. it runs, and It’s been on the road. ( Albeit a very short trip).

For the record..I changed the chinee 68/72 AR .81 turbo, to this “ thing” that Work Turbochargers put together for me.
That thing is part BW/ SX 200 part Garret. ( for whatever reason) it amounts to a 57mm AR . 67 journal bearing turbo with some kind of durability mods made to the center section.

All of that blah blah can be summed up in three words.
OH
MY
GOD!

This car has never been this kind of obscene before. You don’t even have to completely mat the pedal, and the engine just starts screaming..The tires are definitely boiling, and tire smoke is chasing me trying to keep up with the orange bullet that has now become the Monster......again.
No dancing like before, you just point it forward, easy roll into the throttle, and the tires just start frying... we are definitely in potential vid mode now, because the thing is smoking it’s tires in low, and my foot isn’t even on the floor.
But no sooner was all of this goodness happening, and I’m all wide eyed and mouthing a silent “Holy sht“ in disbelief, when a giant puff of smoke huffs out of the turbo, and I have to lift.

I turn it around, slow cruise back home..it’s huffing smoke from the turbo.
I get it back home, pull it in, and look.
( I don't have to open the hood, I took it off cause I'm in the process of swapping back to the OG monster hood.
20201029_181231.jpg

The oil fitting on top is leaking like a pig..I tried to wipe it off the turbine housing and the microfiber rag macromelted all over it too.

So..for all of the drama, it looks to be an oil leak from a 1/4 npt fitting that wouldn't get tight enough..
I'll fix it on Sunday.
And hopefully beat it through and entire 3 gear pull.

:chinI hope I don't cause a sonic boom or anything....that might not go over too well with the people that live on that road.

And..it sits differently now..the tires that were there since it was born, now are very close to rubbing.
Im gonna have to try and fold the inner lip on the pass side in more..it touches when it goes over a bump now.
16040177285766296930801803431805.jpg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Drool
Reactions: 8 users
Give me a :leghump:ing break! You're still gonna be an assholish grumpy ass old man and that's the entertaining part! I'm waiting for you to take a shotgun out at Halloween and yell, GET OFF MY LAWN!

You haven't met my brother. I've dealt with him since I was born and I don't even worry or care when he says some of the same :poo: you do.

Time to charge up the GoPro batteries. We need sights and sounds!

• Haha
  • Agree
When you've copied stock US and then Canadian FoMoCo 1979-1982 grey slurry High Mount TO32 /TO3B/ T03-60 oil feed, you'll be golden.

tts_40178630700_81a9b43349_b.jpg

tts_37245279824_cf5488a49d_k.jpg

Of course, I'm kinda partial to MoToRoBo and MoCaRbGo myself.

Draw through, and a Belly Button and none of that kinda CoMpUtEr sh!+

20201014_212228_bobmatic_302351s.jpg

• Wow
Give me a :leghump:ing break! You're still gonna be an assholish grumpy ass old man and that's the entertaining part! I'm waiting for you to take a shotgun out at Halloween and yell, GET OFF MY LAWN!

You haven't met my brother. I've dealt with him since I was born and I don't even worry or care when he says some of the same :poo: you do.

Time to charge up the GoPro batteries. We need sights and sounds!
i don’t have a Go Pro...the Camera I have is ancient, and the microphone sucks. If that camera was on the car tonight, all there would be for sound would have to be muted.

I’m glad to hear it finally made you feel like the swap was worth it power wise . I knew the day would come

I followed the rule...Make the thing as long as possible, mounted level at ride height, and both mount points are plumbed exactly the same off center.

It'll shift unless its Mumford or Watts link. But long links like you've got will make for less than a 5" sweep like here. All Panhard's shift on the opposite side of the pivot.

GM followed Fords Parklane and Galaxie, its 82 F body was a cross between the Opel V car (Opel and Holden Commodore, non torque tube and T car (torque tube).

The same rule applies on any 3, 4, 5 link. I measured it back in 2012 on a 1964 390 Parklane .

Significant movement at full droop.

1157_IMG_1318plus.jpg

1157_IMG_1320.jpg

It'll shift unless its Mumford or Watts link. But long links like you've got will make for less than a 5" sweep like here. All Panhard's shift on the opposite side of the pivot.

GM followed Fords Parklane and Galaxie, its 82 F body was a cross between the Opel V car (Opel and Holden Commodore, non torque tube and T car (torque tube).

The same rule applies on any 3, 4, 5 link. I measured it back in 2012 on a 1964 390 Parklane .

Significant movement at full droop.

1157_IMG_1318plus.jpg

1157_IMG_1320.jpg
And how does that short, off center, different design arm have anything to do with mine Dean?

OK I scanned through trying to find where you fixed the start issues you were having after hot. VVT issue? What was the fix?
To tell the truth, I’m not exactly sure. I think Steve fixed the thing by telling the VVT to wait till the 3 tooth cam sensor made 9 revs..By that time the engine is running, and the VVT stops generating interference that caused the no start.

To tell the truth, I’m not exactly sure. I think Steve fixed the thing by telling the VVT to wait till the 3 tooth cam sensor made 9 revs..By that time the engine is running, and the VVT stops generating interference that caused the no start.
This and other things... basically the system was giving itself a cam sync issue during cranking, by ignoring the cam sensor for the first 9 rotations and batchfire / wasted spark during this time made sure the engine had rpm for proper cam sync. after it starts it reverts back to full sequential.