Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

Well Hell.

I just committed myself to the November car show thing...I hope I can make that.
The only thing left to do is the hood, and rolling the inner lip a little more on the passenger side wheel well.

Well..a few other little things, but all in all nothing like the marathon to try and make the last car event that the Hurricane decided to show up instead.

I got house junk tomorrow. A potential whole day thing. If by some weird quirk I get done before hand, ill remove the rear tire, and have somebody hold the remaining half bag of floor-dri against the quarter so I can beat against the inside wheel lip w/o damaging the quarter.
I'll put the new oil fitting in the turbo, and hope that the leak is fixed.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

How bout a nice trophy for that one of a kind monster. Anybody who knows anything about cars will realize the commitment and detail. Not to mention the money. Does your cool wife do the car show thing with you.

How bout a nice trophy for that one of a kind monster. Anybody who knows anything about cars will realize the commitment and detail. Not to mention the money. Does your cool wife do the car show thing with you.
She goes, but she won’t hang out. As for me, I’ll park that car, park my butt in a chair at the front, and answer every single question people ask all day long till i can’t talk anymore...
She asks if i ever get tired of answering the same questions over and over...
.“I just grin and shake my head, no is all I said“.

Reactions: 4 users
You gotta have fun with it, since we bought 'brand x' (it was her fathers truck and most of the 'gang' that sits together know I'm a ford guy) I tell people that I am only 'the classic truck owners chauffeur'.
The fun for me is talking about what Ive done..(if I’m telling somebody everything that’s been currently it seems I can talk a really long time ;) )

This will be the first 2 jz exposure to the public..Just from talking to people that see the pic of my car on my computer,...a 2JZ is still a “ whatdafckizat” engine. By far and large, 50% of car guys don’t know what it is, and 100% of the people that’ll stroll by won’t either.

Too bad I don’t race anymore...If last Thursday’s short outing is any indication of how this thing will run, all of the LS yeahoo’s would know what a 2j is.

Reactions: 3 users
The fun for me is talking about what Ive done..(if I’m telling somebody everything that’s been currently it seems I can talk a really long time ;) )

This will be the first 2 jz exposure to the public..Just from talking to people that see the pic of my car on my computer,...a 2JZ is still a “ whatdafckizat” engine. By far and large, 50% of car guys don’t know what it is, and 100% of the people that’ll stroll by won’t either.

Too bad I don’t race anymore...If last Thursday’s short outing is any indication of how this thing will run, all of the LS yeahoo’s would know what a 2j is.
My buddy went 9.52 at 144 on only 26 psi in his 86 with the 2j which now has a gforce 5speed with a LONG v gate shifter on it at last weeks rental we were at . Still clutch assisted . Just to give you an idea power wise . And it’s way safe .

• Surprised
I painted the kitchen door.
After I sanded it down and taped off 9 little glass wondows
Did I ever mention I hate painting?
Painting doesn't bother me. Replacing flooring where your knees are in agony after about 6 hours bothers me. Fixing this :taco: fence where you have to twist all those aluminum ties with your fingers bothers me.

Kurt

• Winner
My buddy went 9.52 at 144 on only 26 psi in his 86 with the 2j which now has a gforce 5speed with a LONG v gate shifter on it at last weeks rental we were at . Still clutch assisted . Just to give you an idea power wise . And it’s way safe .

I love the “only 26 PSI” part of this. I know the 2J can handle a ton of boost, but imagine pushing that through a pushrod 5.0 block, lol.

I've got a cream puff 87 Cressida I'm working on, is this a 2J ?in its native environment.

Attachments

• DSCF3772.JPG
    DSCF3772.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF3773.JPG
    DSCF3773.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 175
In between replacing the water heater in this house, and fixing the furnace in the other one, I managed about an hour at the end of the day to work on the Monster. I fixed the oil feed leak. (At least I thought I did.) It appears now that The hose end itself must have a fracture...bottom line...still leaking.

I guess I'll add that to my list.

Ever since the car has been running, High RPM nets a scream that is coming from the general area of the BOV. It literally sounds like slamming on the brakes tire screech,..but it starts, and stops with throttle. When you lift, The BOV opens and the screech instantly stops. So,...after tonight's test drive where again I almost visited the median...I pulled in and checked the BOV seal.

Instant red flag. The rubber O ring that is the gasket was pinched.

When you flip it over...This:
20201101_171106.jpg

I don't know how in the hell that flange got damaged, but its definitely fcked up. .........And I'll be willing to bet that the scream I'm hearing is boost getting by that gasket. I guess I dropped it? :shrug:

So for Steve.... @a91what
21.8 psi...7280 RPM.... 10.6 AFR But not all at the same time. As long as the engine RPM is low, Boost is high. At redline, boost drops to around 16..and the BOV is screaming bloody hell. The fact that it isn't making boost at 7k plus can either be attributed to the leaking BOV, or the .68AR turbo housing..Either way,..this car can easily kill me now.

That puts Item 2 on the things to buy list. And......Now for the dilemma: (I'm sure it'll get discussed with my late night pal in the wee hours)

The existing BOV is a Ebay unit. A Plagiarized copy of a Tial 50mm. Up until I evidently dropped it, it has worked perfectly. The Tial is 250.00, The Turbo Smart piece is 273.00, And the " Soosee" rip-off copy is.....52 bucks
1604275622597.png

On Amazon,...be here Tuesday. (It's Amazon...if it dont work, I send it back)

So...I'm a Tonight I'm a plumber, and a HVAC guy...a patronizer of "Jina"... ( Big Giant Orange head speak) fully expecting it not to work, but hoping it will.

The car is a freakin blast to drive....What a heathen.

Attachments

• 2020-11-01_16.53.28.mlg
    2.9 MB · Views: 166
  • Useful
Reactions: 4 users
In between replacing the water heater in this house, and fixing the furnace in the other one, I managed about an hour at the end of the day to work on the Monster. I fixed the oil feed leak. (At least I thought I did.) It appears now that The hose end itself must have a fracture...bottom line...still leaking.

I guess I'll add that to my list.

Ever since the car has been running, High RPM nets a scream that is coming from the general area of the BOV. It literally sounds like slamming on the brakes tire screech,..but it starts, and stops with throttle. When you lift, The BOV opens and the screech instantly stops. So,...after tonight's test drive where again I almost visited the median...I pulled in and checked the BOV seal.

Instant red flag. The rubber O ring that is the gasket was pinched.

When you flip it over...This:
20201101_171106.jpg

I don't know how in the hell that flange got damaged, but its definitely fcked up. .........And I'll be willing to bet that the scream I'm hearing is boost getting by that gasket. I guess I dropped it? :shrug:

So for Steve.... @a91what
21.8 psi...7280 RPM.... 10.6 AFR But not all at the same time. As long as the engine RPM is low, Boost is high. At redline, boost drops to around 16..and the BOV is screaming bloody hell. The fact that it isn't making boost at 7k plus can either be attributed to the leaking BOV, or the .68AR turbo housing..Either way,..this car can easily kill me now.

That puts Item 2 on the things to buy list. And......Now for the dilemma: (I'm sure it'll get discussed with my late night pal in the wee hours)

The existing BOV is a Ebay unit. A Plagiarized copy of a Tial 50mm. Up until I evidently dropped it, it has worked perfectly. The Tial is 250.00, The Turbo Smart piece is 273.00, And the " Soosee" rip-off copy is.....52 bucks
1604275622597.png

On Amazon,...be here Tuesday. (It's Amazon...if it dont work, I send it back)

So...I'm a Tonight I'm a plumber, and a HVAC guy...a patronizer of "Jina"... ( Big Giant Orange head speak) fully expecting it not to work, but hoping it will.

The car is a freakin blast to drive....What a heathen.
For real question- You can’t fix that?