1978 Fairmont Build. The rear end upgrade.

When Mike tries to cut the Aerocatch fasteners into the original hood, will I:

• Do it up

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Screw it up

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
1605844191476.png

:chin

• Winner
Reactions: General karthief
  • Sponsors(?)

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Speaking of out dated technology. Mike needs to commit to spending the money on a twin scroll turbocharger. A Borg-Warner 48x is going to fix the problem no matter how oversized it is. A tuning adjustment is not going to make up for a mechanical deficiency.

Kurt
Read post 837 I cover the shortfall of leaving the turbo as it is. I am sure the guys doing the actual turbo building know what they are doing.

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Speaking of out dated technology. Mike needs to commit to spending the money on a twin scroll turbocharger. A Borg-Warner 48x is going to fix the problem no matter how oversized it is. A tuning adjustment is not going to make up for a mechanical deficiency.

Kurt
According to two different turbo rebuilders ( Both who are recognized as competent, and one of whom i’m using) A mono scroll turbo will be just as effective as a twin scroll turbo when properly sized and built for the intended usage. I wanted a turbo built for a street car. They put one together that is way smaller than what the other guy was recommending (57mm vs 76mm) but in the end, power from the 2500 rpm stall speed to 6k rpm is more ideal than 4000-7500 for this application.
I was concerned that the guy at Boost lab wasn’t hearing what I was telling him I wanted..He kept talking about 800-900 potential HP, when I kept telling him “Street car responsiveness”.

Now that I have a base line for how this turbo will work when my foot is on the pedal, Ill call Work turbo and tell them what i’ve got here. They told me that they may wanna do a turbine housing swap depending on how this thing responds.
I’ll let the guys that know, make the suggestion for which way to go.
Who knows, It may not be worth it If the bigger housing sacrifices some bottom end velocity and forces me to get the 2step working for racing, but allows the engine to pull to 7 instead of being able to put my feet on both pedals and being able to get the turbo to 5-6 psi at 3k.

Ill call them this morning.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Dangling your toes in the rabbit hole?
if I could only shave 2 hundreds I could be running ++++++++++
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
RACECAR RACECAR RACECAR

Crap now I need a cage!!
Oh well, since I need a cage..........

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Here ya go Mike

1.2.4a has no changes to the boost settings and only the timing alterations the turbo builder asked for.

Attachments

• Monster.2JZ.REV.1.2.4a.msq
    273.8 KB · Views: 7

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I called the turbo guy. Before they just arbitrarily change out the exhaust housing, they want to explore boost pressure difference before and after the IC. They also want to see how much timing i’m running at peak VE, suggesting that maybe i’m a little too conservative in that area of the map. The above post from steve is a timing curve correction..It really shouldn’t amount to too much added risk, I believe that he has only added about a degree and a half back in from 5500 up.

That is all you added back in, right Steve?

Reactions: revhead347

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
This sounds like the monster is changing into a race car....

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
This sounds like the monster is changing into a race car....
The car is probably getting near the end of its relationship with me..It’s built, there really isn’t anything i can do to it except drive it, and we are going into winter, so driving it isn’t even a viable option. I spent 10 grand last year on USED parts (engine/trans), and after spending all that time and money, it really bugs me to have a car sitting doing nothing but either waiting for the weekend to show it, or waiting on the weekend to beat on it.

It’s not enough for me just to “ own it”, I need something to weld...

I could upgrade...the trans is a 40k mile stock internal thing, the engine is the same..as is the rear...
or i could radically change stuff to the body...( think wide body)

The interior in the car was an idea that i’ve had in my head for years before i made it into the version that exists in the car..there has also been a wide body concept cooking back there as well...i just didn’t want to do something so irreversible should my idea not pan out in reality...but,..there are ways to conceptualize stuff w/o cutting...

But it’s my birthday today, And kate has given me what i need to cut stuff...
image.jpg

Makes sense that i should find something to use this on.

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
Happy Birthday! Not my place to tell another man, but any women that buys her man Dewalt products is an absolute keeper.

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Happy Birthday, Mike !!!

I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff to cut up. That car isn't coming to the end of its relationship with you. Like any side piece, it wants some cosmetic surgery....again. It's like the bigger balloon job after the first one....a little face lift....and a tummy tuck.