Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I got nothing for you guys.:rolleyes:

Well,.....maybe a little...

#2 is getting out of the AF, and will come back here to go to school. While he gets settled, he'll live in the basement for a couple of months. The wife has been hounding me to make the garage more habitable, and to do something to secure the garage from the living space, so people wont be dicking with my tools....

So I appeased her....I installed a door with a dead bolt.

IMAG0054_zpsf4kaylyu.jpg

the bar stock to make a new throttle shaft came in yesterday,...i set straight out to build the thing..

This is what the old version looked like with all of the splices...
IMAG0052_zps2mdm8nnw.jpg

This is the new one...

IMAG0055_zpssptml72f.jpg

The number 2 throttle body is low..it creates a bind in the shaft. There's no bearing there, it's one of the throttle bodies that doesn't support the shaft, so all I really have to do to free it up, is open the hole a little bit.
Originally, I thought that the ends of the thing were low,...so I made a ding dang deal to try and tweak the ends...
IMAG0053_zps1rm3qpvg.jpg

What I ended up doing was causing the #2 TB to go low.....:nonono:

I spent about half a day trying to figure out how I'm get the throttle shaft to work. I was gonna do a bell crank, but decided to route a cable over pullies instead..
IMAG0057_zpsz6lki4x7.jpg

It ain't gonna work...It takes a pretty concentrated effort to get the damn things open, and once they get past a point of resistance, they will almost snap open. If I make the lever that I attach to the shaft longer, it'll make the effort to get them to open easier, but it makes the distance required to do that longer.. I gotta figure a way to add some mechanical leverage
(like a bell crank) that I can change the fulcrum pivot point, and use both the cable pulley system, and a bell crank.

The airbox is done... it's just a matter of untaping the thing, provided that my paint lines dont bleed over each other...
IMAG0056_zpsk1irvhxe.jpg

I used blue tape,...I fully expect it to be fcked up as a rats ass when I unmask it.

Reactions: 5 users
Well....it's either gonna work, or it's gonna be the longest, most expensive waste of time to build and eventually throw away of any item that I've built so far to date...

IMAG0060_zps1e2kv1fg.jpg

The glass is on the thing,...and wouldn't you know it, there's still residue on the back side of the damn thing. I decided to bed the glass in the ribbon stuff that you put wind shields in with only much thinner product. (stuff is 1/4" in diameter). That makes it still removeable, but I'd have to redo the ribbon everytime.

You can see the streak, and I think I'm gonna try to remove it through the TB holes from underneath, I'm pretty sure I can get to it.

There's paint flaws,....I'm gonna have to re-shoot the short side in this copper color,...and there was a little piece of junk that I removed from the black that left the primer exposed. I'll just dab some black in that chip.

It's still just an air box plenum after all, and it'll certainly do that, so I doubt that I'll change it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@CarMichael Angelo

Take a tip from Ford - look at the plastic clutch quadrant we have all come to hate.

Notice that all the grove where the cable runs is not equally centered around the pivot point.; it is off centered somewhat, The general effect is a lever whose arm grows and shrinks according to the rotational position of the quadrant.

MM1157 accelerator quadrant.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Well....i was thinking. ( dangerous thing with no akehol ). On my wench if i double the line around a pulley it cuts the load in half. It also increases the pull length by 50%. In that case you'd have to move the gas pedal twice as far.

May not work.....but its the thought that counts.

I couldve just hit the " like " button...but what fun is that...

Reactions: 1 user
Well....i was thinking. ( dangerous thing with no akehol ). On my wench if i double the line around a pulley it cuts the load in half. It also increases the pull length by 50%. In that case you'd have to move the gas pedal twice as far.

May not work.....but its the thought that counts.

I couldve just hit the " like " button...but what fun is that...

I get to play with the length of the lever that I'll attach to the throttle shaft. The same thing applies. The longer I make that lever, the further I'll have to pull it to completely open the throttle. I measured how far the gas pedal travels.....It's like 1.4."
The throttle shaft will travel 1.25." But that is measured at 1" from the shaft.

If I add a 2" long lever, then I'm gonna have to move that shaft twice as far to get it open, and I only have a set amount of travel I can work with. That means I gotta add a bell crank to reduce the travel back down to the range of travel of the gas pedal.

It sounds like a complex contraption, but it's not really. The pulleys that are mounted presently only serve to route the cable, the lever is an attaching point for the cable. What I do to decrease the effort/reduce cable travel is what I gotta figure out.

Rev Joe suggested that I make an eccentric to actuate the shaft that would serve to do both (reduce travel, and effort) but there's no room for it, and it's too complex. I'm gonna just try to use a "L" shaped lever and mess with the fulcrum point and the leg length to get back what I lose, and mount that to a plate right below the the throttle bodies.

Now,....speaking of the throttle bodies....

I cut them up.

I didn't like the way they looked on the common plate. They didn't look "individual" enough. So, I cut them apart. This will solve the shaft binding problem as I'll be able to bolt them all to the individual pieces, and then mount them as a unit to the head after that. And at the same time,....each runner will be separate from the other..I think it'll look so much better.

The problem with that will be alignment of ports now, as each individual runner will be free to move up and down a bit. I don't know how much, but there are so many ways I can correct it, and lock it in place I'm not worried about it.

Just let me get past this today Please!....I want to move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Today the monster rolled on it's back and let me scratch his belly.

The car finally is starting to come around, and see things my way.:nice:

To start things off Nick has asked to see into the airbox. Who am I to argue?
IMAG0061_zpsrai0bnfy.jpg

IMAG0062_zpsgoznnlek.jpg

I think I'll keep it.

I said that I cut the throttle bodies apart, and this is a testimonial to that..
IMAG0065_zpsllunormt.jpg

Now while I they look much better this way, nobodies gonna see it,...The airbox will hide them.. The side benefit to doing this is that it allows me to correct some of the warpage issues,...so all in all,......it needed to be done. It does come with a whole box of gremlins though, as each TB now has to be aligned for twist, and the manifolds need that, AND their height dicked with. And dicking with these things to try and get them close enough to free up the shaft took most of the day. I got to come up with a way to locate this junk so I can put it back together before the RTV I'm gonna use as a gasket set up.

But as with everything else, they finally came close enough to move on, and see how much of high school geometry I've forgotten....

That would be....most of it. I struggle trying to figure out where to put the fulcrum to help the short leg. I don't know whether I can move the thing around to reduce effort, or increase travel. Or whether or not if you get one, you sacrifice the other. Suffice it to say, my little cardboard "L" didn't tell me nothing about reduction of effort, or whether or not putting it here or there would make it travel longer...So I did what I always do........

I winged it.

IMAG0064_zpsvjluszps.jpg

In case you've forgotten how to get to grandmother's house, let this be your map, because this is about as "Over the river, and through the woods" as anything can get. The cable linkage doesn't snap on the ball, because I used one I had in my drawer, and didn't check to see if it was the right size...

It was wrong.

So, I'll have to cut the current one off, and put one there that does. Then put the head back on the block, re-hook up the throttle cable to the gas pedal, and mat the thing to see if it opens all the way. If that works, then I can say Da-done-dah, and move on to finish porting the head.

Once that's done I can take the head to a machine shop for a new valve-job, and reassembly, and get the new forged rods transferred onto my pistons..

Then...just in time for summer,....the Gila Monster will crawl out of his hole, and find himself a nice flat place to sun himself.

And I'll get to answer the dozens of people who ask:

What am I lookin' at here.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.