Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm going to attempt a drive of about 50 miles round trip if I get out of the dealership on time tonight.
I drove the thing to work last week, and it seems fine.
I'm a little concerned because the interstate in the middle of this city is a jug phck right now because of major construction, and the alternative routes take me through some pretty sketchy parts of the city to get to where I'd be going.
The ring gear bolts loosened on me last year and some had even fallen out and were laying in the bottom of the center section of the housing. Back then, the car always made a clank noise when I put it in reverse, or I dropped the car in 1st gear at a light.
I think it's doing that again.
When I fixed it last year, and added the girdle, I just torqued the bolts w/o any thread sealant. All other times, this procedure had always been adequate. On the monster for some reason, it ain't.
So, caution to the wind, I'm driving it. The car doesn't have 50 miles on it since the rear end fiasco of last year. Those damn bolts will have to hold me for one 50 mile rt drive.
I'll deal with it on Monday when the car goes back up on jack stands for the muffler addition.
I called Magnaflow and asked for a recommendation. Dude says I should leave the loud assed muffie in place, and put one of their oval pieces in between.
The one he recommended looks like this:
mpe-11216_oh_xl.jpg

Cost on it is 91.62
409 stainless steel straight through perforated tube w/fiberglass packing.
Then there's this:
sum-633000_at_xl.jpg

409 stainless steel, Straight through perforated tube surrounded by fiberglass packing...
35 bucks.

Now I know,...I'm on record for stating that the high road is a road of no regrets.....and more often than not, the low road is full of ruts and potholes,......but it's a freakin muffler.

How much different could it possibly be?
I have option B on my car now. I really think they’re house brand mufflers made by magnaflow.

• Sponsors (?)

It rained.

It looked like it was gonna rain.

The better part of prudence weighed heavily, and I decided to leave the car where it sat.

Good thing.

So, I took next Saturday off so I could help # 1 install chain link fence to keep his dumb assed dog in check. As long as it don't rain, the cruise in is typically the biggest of the monthly ones .....it'll be worth the wait.

Now I'll have the muffie, but I don't know if I'll have the time to install it before that. I damn sure won't have time to drain and inspect the rear end gear, to see if the bolts have come-a-loose.

Last I remember-there’s a new ring and pinion set/Tarc lok rebuild kit sitting on the shelf- talk the Beamer shop manager into having the techs change it for ya this week :D
Oh,and +1 on the knock off muffler-my Thrush-Masters have looked new for at least three years now
:cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Dual Outing the exhaust will help. The best thing is splitting the pipe at the axle, and Y ing it to the stock V8 ensamble to take it out of E flat.

My 81 Mustang had the wolds most ordiable X hasut.

non standard y piece to clear the rear brake line without touching it).

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_5764Rev.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

My Cortina V6 had the same mid range baritone drone, but dual piped with glasspacks and stock headers and dual tail pipes, it was much quieter.

adding an IHI turbo made a drone prone 4.1 Cortina Exhaust silent.

The old live axle Montaineer Explorer 5.0 XLT / EB/ Limited exhaust Y piece makes a great way to turn two twin pipes into four cut price ANSA outlets.

Last I remember-there’s a new ring and pinion set/Tarc lok rebuild kit sitting on the shelf- talk the Beamer shop manager into having the techs change it for ya this week :D
Oh,and +1 on the knock off muffler-my Thrush-Masters have looked new for at least three years now
:cool:
Traction loc was rebuilt after I had the loose bolt incident last year. I also upgraded the stock damaged rear cover where a ring gear bolt shot through when it got flung at the cover) to a girdle style.
Drain, inspect, refill (assuming you find nothing wrong), you could get that done in a night or two after work? Youre starting to sound like me... Torque box reinforcements have taken me 6 weeks and counting.
I intend to do that very thing.

You cannot use my example when comparing each other. Unless you either wanna wait 30 more years, when you'll be 60, or have me compare my work ethic when I was 30 something.
let's use me at 35. ( I'll probably never see 90)
Well make this a Father's Day themed thing.

When I was 35 #1 was born. #2 came 5 years later.

When I was 35 I had the black/white zep that is my avatar. I sold that car w/I months of him being born thinking that " fathers had to be responsible, and shouldn't be wasting time and money on a toy now that a new baby was in the picture".

I had 10k in that car,....it was my very first work of "Mike art", it was my first mini tub, it's where I learned to weld, my first interior swap from a different donor, it was my first roller cammed car, my first Windsor with a set of aftermarket heads, My first car with a race prepped c4, it was my first 11 second car.
I sold it for 5500.

After Sean was sleeping through the night, and life stopped being hell, I very quickly realized that nothing in my life had really changed.......except I didn't have that car.

I bought my very first fox one year later. A 1980 4 cylinder notch. In 1993.

By 1995 the car was running. It was the polar opposite of the zep.
It had a flat tappet cam , vacuum secondary carb, dual plane intake, stock rebuild 460 police interceptor with two stacked nitrous plates, a c4, and a narrowed 9". It had a tri-color MAACO paint job, ( a kind of "gay pride" theme that was pink champagne, purple and maroon) and A very expensive set of Centerline set of wheels.

(The moral to the above was that the entire car was built in less than two years)

It was faster on the motor than the zep was sprayed. I wrecked it at the drag strip one month later trying to use the second stage nitrous system in a grudge race against a friend. " I guess I should've kept my mouth shut when I started to brag about my car."

I had the car towed home, found a new recipient, (a Fairmont shell that was owned by the guy that made the name Holman and Moody a legend in the 60's) Ralph Moody was sitting on the car in anticipation of using it as a drag car. I was calling him to ask for advice as to why he thought I kept blowing the freeze plugs out of the 460 every time I attempted to use the second stage)
I went to Atlanta with a trailer, paid the man 200.00 for the Futura shell, learned about Excessive nitrous use vs too much timing, and not enough octane and proceeded to transfer the running gear out of the wrecked "gay stang" into the ex-moody fairmont.

By 1997 the car was recampained. Only this time with a seperate fuel system for the nitrous and a timing retard box. This time sporting aluminum mini spares as front runners, weld drag lites that I turned shiny side in ( because the back spacing was better that way) and....painted Porsche Guards red....by,....MAACO.
It got named........ashamedly......."FireFox"
It was my first 9 second car, it was my first really violent wheel stand, it was my first catastrophic engine failure.
It got sold for 6000.

( The moral to the above story was that ANOTHER car got completely scratch built in under two years)

I could go on, as there will be another car every two years, but I'll just list them to shorten the story.
Blue/white Zephyr 1999 drag car
White purple Mitsubishi Starion 2003 drag car
Blue Black Chrysler Conquest in 2005 street car
Drag race version of the above car ( the one you've seen in the pics) 2007.
Orange Black 86 Mustang Drag car 2008
1953 Studebaker street rod 2008-2010
Red 89 mustang Mach 1.
Current orange Monster.

And,...in between all of that are 2 2005 Pontiac GTO's, a 2008 Pontiac G8, and of course the shortest lived car I ever owned..
A 2003 Cobra.

All this to say that "When I was your age, you didn't see me sitting around playing video games, and texting your BFF's, so stop your :taco:footin around, and get your car done,...you damn kids!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Traction loc was rebuilt after I had the loose bolt incident last year. I also upgraded the stock damaged rear cover where a ring gear bolt shot through when it got flung at the cover) to a girdle style.

You cannot use my example when comparing each other. Unless you either wanna wait 30 more years, when you'll be 60, or have me compare my work ethic when I was 30 something.

When I was 35 I had the black/white zep that is my avatar. I sold that car w/I months of him being born thinking that " fathers had to be responsible, and shouldn't be wasting time and money on a toy now that a new baby was in the picture".

I had 10k in that car,....it was my very first work of "Mike art", it was my first mini tub, it's where I learned to weld, my first interior swap from a different donor, it was my first roller cammed car, my first Windsor with a set of aftermarket heads, My first car with a race prepped c4, it was my first 11 second car.
I sold it for 5500.

After Sean was sleeping through the night, and life stopped being hell, I very quickly realized that nothing in my life had really changed.......except I didn't have that car.

It had a flat tappet cam , vacuum secondary carb, dual plane intake, stock rebuild 460 police interceptor with two stacked nitrous plates, a c4, and a narrowed 9". It had a tri-color MAACO paint job, ( a kind of "gay pride" theme that was pink champagne, purple and maroon) and A very expensive set of Centerline set of wheels.

(The moral to the above was that the entire car was built in less than two years)

It was faster on the motor than the zep was sprayed. I wrecked it at the drag strip one month later trying to use the second stage nitrous system in a grudge race against a friend. " I guess I should've kept my mouth shut when I started to brag about my car."

I had the car towed home, found a new recipient, (a Fairmont shell that was owned by the guy that made the name Holman and Moody a legend in the 60's) Ralph Moody was sitting on the car in anticipation of using it as a drag car. I was calling him to ask for advice as to why he thought I kept blowing the freeze plugs out of the 460 every time I attempted to use the second stage)
I went to Atlanta with a trailer, paid the man 200.00 for the Futura shell, learned about Excessive nitrous use vs too much timing, and not enough octane and proceeded to transfer the running gear out of the wrecked "gay stang" into the ex-moody fairmont.

By 1997 the car was recampained. Only this time with a seperate fuel system for the nitrous and a timing retard box. This time sporting aluminum mini spares as front runners, weld drag lites that I turned shiny side in ( because the back spacing was better that way) and....painted Porsche Guards red....by,....MAACO.
It was my first 9 second car, it was my first really violent wheel stand, it was my first catastrophic engine failure.
It got sold for 6000.

( The moral to the above story was that ANOTHER car got completely scratch built in under two years)

I could go on, as there will be another car every two years, but I'll just list them to shorten the story.
Red 89 mustang Mach 1.
Current orange Monster.

And,...in between all of that are 2 2005 Pontiac GTO's, a 2008 Pontiac G8, and of course the shortest lived car I ever owned..
A 2003 Cobra.

All this to say that "When I was your age, you didn't see me sitting around playing video games, and texting your BFF's, so stop your ****footin around, and get your car done,...you damn kids!"
recampaigned

What an inspiration! I'm gonna do just that.
after I mow the lawn (lazy assed grand kid will only mow the lawn when he needs money and his mon won't give it to him)
And finish polishing the chrome diamond plating on the dump truck
and fix the weed eater
And clean the interior of the dump truck
Oh, and there is a race on at five.

I sold it for 5500.

It got sold for 6000.

Red 89 mustang Mach 1.
Current orange Monster.

A 2003 Cobra.

All this to say that "When I was your age, you didn't see me sitting around playing video games, and texting your BFF's, so stop your ****footin around, and get your car done,...you damn kids!"

Take his advice... do the car thing while you are young.

I'm 72 and have vertigo... What's vertigo? That's the nausea that starts to slow you down after a dozen of times laying down, getting up and laying down again while working under the car. The 85° temp in the garage doesn't help either; after 2 hours of work I was all tired out. All I wanted to do was to get the car down off jackstands and quit for the day.

Most of us only have a few years in our early 20's to really play. Marriage, house, kids, more kids, college, their marriage, it all takes time and money. Then there are the few years you have after they are grown and before you get too old, lol.

Personally, I could live at the track every weekend if I was single. But I am blessed with a family and I don't want to turn around and they be gone. As much as I love working on cars and being around car guys, I love them more. I hope my boys will share my love when they get older and maybe we can do it together.

Sorry for the derail Mike, carry on.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users

I sold it for 5500.

It got sold for 6000.

Red 89 mustang Mach 1.
Current orange Monster.

A 2003 Cobra.

Well in comparison.... I turn 35 on Tuesday and have an 8 y/o, a 5 y/o, and a 1 y/o. Not to mention my fourth kid... I swear my wife leaves worse messes around the house than the kids.

This car I am working on now is already my biggest undertaking Ive personally attempted. If it werent for my wife and her guilt trips, and her never ending desire to be "out experiencing life," I would probably be further than I am. But I am trying my best to balance it all, and slowly make progress. Maybe one day in the next couple years, our cars may just end up in the same place at the same time in their "done" form.

Sigh....:nonono:

It was not my intent to bring your wife in as as an obstacle to your progress.
And I'd have to guess that having 3 kids all under 10 might corrupt your time a little.
So you get a bye.

You also get Sunday night philosophical wafting.... The three whiskey in version MOF...
I got dogged by the wife only when I lied about how much something cost.( And I was always lying about how much something cost)
It just depended on whether or not she caught me at it.

If you don't take away from your family financially...( and I've seen plenty of guys down here do that) you'll get away with as much as your conscience will let you.

For me it was always easy..i always chose her instead of the car.

Now I'm 60. She is still smokin hot.
( and trust me when I say that.....im not just saying that because she loves me... To this day, I can't touch her without oven mitts)
In retrospect, the small family spread out over 5 years made this do able. A good job most of my life, coupled with my ability to do stuff made it easier.
You'll figure it out Nick. Some guys stay the course and are car guys forever, they may have a car today, and come back to it later while others are car guys " for now", and when the fox is gone they are done... I think you're the prior..
If you want it to happen, you'll make it happen.
Despite popular concensus...
I think people build cars because they want other people to think what they did/do is cool.
Despite popular concensus..
I think people go to car shows with their cars to say " look what I did".
I think when other people stop caring what you do, you got not reason to care either.

That's why we update threads,..thats why people post updates..
And despite popular concensus....
They do it because they care what other people think.

So you keep building, you keep posting..

And I'll keep busting your balls.

Reactions: 7 users
Well what was once behind the axle is now in front of it.
image.jpeg

That almost pointless muffler is now just a check point to try and control a minor amount of the racket coming out from behind the Monster now. The other muffler will go behind, and more than likely, I'll add some resonator kind of tail pipe behind that.
image.jpeg

You can see where I cut the existing muffie from the tail pipe. I've hung it there so I'll be able to mock up, and tack where the new one will go when it comes in tomorrow. ( not that I'll work on it, I have to work till 7:30 on Tuesday).
But who knows, maybe I'll have a wild hair.

I also removed the rear cover to see if I have loose bolts....I haven't checked them yet.

As many times as I dragged my ass out from under the car today re-orienting the exhaust, I got nothing left. It's a good thing though, the rear end oil was sludgy in the bottom,...I'll clean that out, and put fresh oil in after I get around to checking if the bolts are tight.

I'm taking off early this coming Saturday, I fully intend to make the 4th Saturday night cruise-in and it starts at 4. I plan on being there this time with out worrying about whether or not I've got loose ring gear bolts, and with a much more refined grown-up sounding exhaust at the same time.

Reactions: 4 users

Amen brother!

My assistant (22 yr old male) is a Millennial going to college and video games is his life. Says he doesn't get his hands dirty. I asked if you got a flat on the way home could you change the tire? He said, no of course. I told him stop being a panzy, man up and dive into things elbows deep. Stop putzing around through life and learn something.

Reactions: 3 users
:shrug: I play video games every once in a while. Usually online with my nephew or maybe a cousin from out of state. I dont see an issue with being gamer, but these days people make it their entire existence. So maybe in moderation?

• Agree
The issue is most " gamers" don't play in moderation. And if you can play in moderation, you're not a "gamer".
Gamers are goobs that rush out and preorder the latest version of some fantasy FPS, hook up their PS4 or Xbox1 to the Internet, demand that they get the 100mb bandwidth capable service tier from their ISP and play until their eyes bleed.

My son ( the AF version) is one of them.

I had carpal tunnel surgery at 50 on both hands. I worked with my hands my whole life, but when I started doing repetitive things like drilling 50 thousand holes, or stapling miles of Cat5 wire/coax in residences for the previous 12 years the condition became too painful.

My son has carpal tunnel now.
Because he holds a game controller for hours at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.