Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes..I thought it was because I was tired, and lost my patience...But,....

It's because placing the ITB's on the transition elbows is a giant PITA. All 6 of them have to be placed on the manifold at the same time, because you cannot get the shaft through each throttle body if they're bolted on individually. It hits the radiator saddle. Trying to put the shaft through the throttle bodies while each one has RTV slathered on their bases, then moving the whole wonky contraption over to the manifold, and trying to set each one on the studs is just a big giant hassle.

The bigger issue is the interference. The TPS sensor is all over throttle cable, The bulkhead where all of the wiring exits is there, the fuel fitting is there,..... it's just a giant jug fck.

Lastly,....even after all of that is dealt with.. there's the "will it run right?", and what am I gonna have to do to get it there. There are 6 throttle screws..No common vacuum plenum, leaves me wondering if it'll run speed density, or whether it'll have to be converted to Alpha N...
And I know so little about Speed density as it is...Alpha N is like a carburetor only with separate injectors...
What does the finger say?

Rememeber what I said I wanted.....Why I got rid of the Turbo in the first place...

I want it reliable....
I want it easy...
I want it to be done.

LS swap.......

Just kidding.

As for the welder, I just ordered the same one, I was not sure if it was the one you had or not. Amazon had it on a 6 hour sale the other night for $340!

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

You could tie all of the runners together with a simple piece of tubing... even a 3/8 tube to tie them all together will act as an vacuum equalizer.
As for re-tuning the car. You drive it, email me the datalog, I drink coffee and adjust it for you while sitting in my living room during which time I watch as my cat and bearded dragon pretend to kill each other and I play the Godzilla theme song.
It's not like your going to put me out or anything, mine is broken I need something to do. Pro bono, seriously.

Or mail me that :poo: I'll make it work on Franky

Mike, you sound like me when my 347 was running like poo. Throwing yours together with a belly button intake and 70 mm TB just makes you every bit as lame as the rest of SBF guys, except you are way down on power versus us.... Keep at it, and take advantage of Steve's kind offer. Sounds like he needs something to do based on the cat story, lol. Mikey, you can do it!

Mike, you sound like me when my 347 was running like poo. Throwing yours together with a belly button intake and 70 mm TB just makes you every bit as lame as the rest of SBF guys, except you are way down on power versus us.... Keep at it, and take advantage of Steve's kind offer. Sounds like he needs something to do based on the cat story, lol. Mikey, you can do it!
You're just full of " alternative facts" today aren't you Nick?
" belly button intake?"
It's the only one in the world Jeeves,..how on Earth can you call it that? I made the damn thing for Chistsake.

"Way down on power versus US"...

Who exactly are the "US" that you are referring to? And how much power do you think I'll be making to be able to make that guesstimate?

What if I make the same power any E7 headed 5.0 makes? (215-225) I am running a stock head after all...
Will that carry any weight, or will that figure be dismissed because of all of the rest of the one-off hand made belly button junk that is on my engine?

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
You could tie all of the runners together with a simple piece of tubing... even a 3/8 tube to tie them all together will act as an vacuum equalizer.
As for re-tuning the car. You drive it, email me the datalog, I drink coffee and adjust it for you while sitting in my living room during which time I watch as my cat and bearded dragon pretend to kill each other and I play the Godzilla theme song.
It's not like your going to put me out or anything, mine is broken I need something to do. Pro bono, seriously.

Or mail me that :poo: I'll make it work on Franky
I have tied all of the runners together already. that's what all of the red lines are for...they all feed a common vacuum reservoir.

I looked at it again this morning. Relocating the throttle linkage exit point is a minimal problem. I'm more worried about getting the engine to start, idle, and run properly throughout its rpm range, then I am about any of the other obstacles, only they all add up to one big assed quagmire.

I have tied all of the runners together already. that's what all of the red lines are for...they all feed a common vacuum reservoir.

I looked at it again this morning. Relocating the throttle linkage exit point is a minimal problem. I'm more worried about getting the engine to start, idle, and run properly throughout its rpm range, then I am about any of the other obstacles, only they all add up to one big assed quagmire.
Well I work a monday-friday job now so no crazy ass hours anymore. on a saturday or sunday we get linked up i do a hacker style computer takeover and we work in tandem to get the car running. I can donate a few hours of my weekend to the cause, otherwise George(bearded dragon) and the monster may take out a hit out on me. :ninja:
First we make it run on alpha-n so you can set the idle screws, blah blah ect. then i take that fuel table and simply transfer it over to the ITB tables using a datalog. Its as simple as extrapolating the info out into a histogram and since we are logging the map sensor it should be a few keystrokes to turn that into a SD based fuel table. :spot:
WE CAN DO THIS have some faith in your stangnet brethren.

Mike, wasn't this a concern of others on here before, and it didn't seem to phase you? Why the lack of confidence now? Just itching to drive it?

Joe

You're just full of " alternative facts" today aren't you Nick?
" belly button intake?"
It's the only one in the world Jeeves,..how on Earth can you call it that? I made the damn thing for Chistsake.

"Way down on power versus US"...

Who exactly are the "US" that you are referring to? And how much power do you think I'll be making to be able to make that guesstimate?

What if I make the same power any E7 headed 5.0 makes? (215-225) I am running a stock head after all...
Will that carry any weight, or will that figure be dismissed because of all of the rest of the one-off hand made belly button junk that is on my engine?

While your intake is hand made and one off, its based off a generic style. It uses one 70 mm throttle body like the rest of us with a boring old 302.

And the power comment, if you end up making what a small block 302 does in stock form, while running a boring old single throttle body like the rest of us, why not just swap in a stock 302 and be one of us? Hell, I just sold one for $500!

My point is you were doing the ITBs for the sake of something cool and different because you were ditching the turbo. You ran a turbo in the beginning because you wanted your I6 to make enough power to keep you from being bored. Now you are considering neither option... What are your new plans, to drive Miss Daisy from point A to B? Sounds like fun...

You can do it. Take a breather and finish the bad ass ITB idea you started.

• Dislike
Mike, wasn't this a concern of others on here before, and it didn't seem to phase you? Why the lack of confidence now? Just itching to drive it?

Joe
Pretty much....Things are changing. Now it's more about what can I do in a certain amount of time, as opposed to whether or not I can do it. When I built the car, I had several full days a week to contribute to the build. When I became a Genius, that dropped down to 1-maybe 2 days a week. Now that I'm a salesman here.....now it just depends. This is the last week of the month...Salesmen typically don't take their day off this week due to the increased business. Consequently, I'm working here instead of working on my car.
I'll more than likely stay the course, and see the ITB's through to getting it running. If it's not a big hassle to get it to run right, then they'll stay,..but let them mess with me more than a day,.....I'll throw my belly button intake back on so quick the throttle bodies won't know what hit them.

I think between me and Dave,.........Nothing is certain anymore. I am sure however which is more of a travesty,.....I'm talking about shelving 40 hours, and about $600.00 in parts if i decide to put the ITB's in a cabinet for another day.
Dave isn't talking about anything,....He is throwing away hundreds of hours, and covering up a perfectly good shade of blue for a less popular hue.

But I get it. This will be tough for some of you to follow,...so, read it slowly.

Dave want's something different. For Dave, Kona blue is too conservative. Now that he has joined the Royal Order of Lint Lickers, and has decided to install a big Windsor, he needs something to make the car stand out, and electric green is a necessary ingredient to guarantee that it'll get noticed in the sea of blue (Pun intended).
I'm good with my decision one way or the other. When faced with a *similar dilemma, Here's a tip for you guys when deciding which way to go when you have to make a choice.
* Naaww, check that...You can never be in a similar situation....In order to be in one, you'd have to have one already hand made working solution sitting there, and another partially completed hand made non-working solution sitting next to it.
So then lets think of something that we can compare that to in Windsor world...................................................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................there isn't one.
Anyway,..You choose:

1. Whatever gets it running.

You can add "better/sooner/faster" in there as a modifier, but all that does is get in the way of #1. Far too many guys pull a car apart with mega goals only to end up with a car that sits for months on end.

Months turn into a year,.....then maybe two...You lose interest. You cant sell the car because it's in pieces,..and the snowball starts rolling. One day, you decide to "go big", and you get off your ass and buy/do a bunch of crap, and you start back going forward. But the go big plan is just too big. It takes too long. Too many days/nights spent in a garage with little to show, too much money left to spend,.....and a mountain of crap still left to do.

The thought creeps in...'I shoulda left it stock/the way it was/alone. You entertain the notion of bailing out on the long road, and take a shortcut through the woods...

What are the pro's and con's you wonder?.........."Yeah, it'll be less power but"....."Yeah it might not be as cool, but":
It'll run. It'll get done. It'll be fun,...again.
Driving the car is way better than working on it....besides, even after it's running,.. There's more than enough work to do just to keep it looking and running good.

This is how you sell yourself...It involves thinking, and drinking. Maybe alot more of one than the other...Sooner or later a light pops in your head.

You have an epiphany.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Far too many guys pull a car apart with mega goals only to end up with a car that sits for months on end.

Months turn into a year,.....then maybe two...You lose interest. You cant sell the car because it's in pieces,..and the snowball starts rolling. One day, you decide to "go big", and you get off your ass and buy/do a bunch of crap, and you start back going forward. But the go big plan is just too big. It takes too long. Too many days/nights spent in a garage with little to show, too much money left to spend,.....and a mountain of crap still left to do.

The thought creeps in...'I shoulda left it stock/the way it was/alone. You entertain the notion of bailing out on the long road, and take a shortcut through the woods...

What are the pro's and con's you wonder?.........."Yeah, it'll be less power but"....."Yeah it might not be as cool, but":
It'll run. It'll get done. It'll be fun,...again.
Driving the car is way better than working on it....besides, even after it's running,.. There's more than enough work to do just to keep it looking and running good.

This is how you sell yourself...It involves thinking, and drinking. Maybe alot more of one than the other...Sooner or later a light pops in your head.

You have an epiphany.

WTF. I have to change my password here, on FEP, Facebook, check the wife's phone for bugs because you have definitely been in my thoughts and conversations over the last 2 years about my 85!

Actually, that's my excuse now when the wife says (insert Marge simpson whiney voice) What are you going to do with that car? If it were out of the way I could park my BRAND NEW car in the garage and you could buy new floors for the house.

To which I reply, it's too far torn apart to get any money for it. I'll have to finish it BEFORE I can sell it! The other night, I told her I AM thinking of selling it and buying a 67 Suburban!!!!! It's a good thing I am still agile enough to dodge the :poo: she threw at me!

• Haha
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
No updates....must be banking it down at the Beemer show room!

:spot:
Read the reply two numbers up....work happens now. Monday was supposed to be my day off...They wont let you take it on the last week of the month. So, No time to do the crazy sht, hence my thoughts to do "whatever it takes to get the thing running".

I like the ITB's, but they are an "unknown" for me. Unknown stuff takes time to sort out,.....time to configure,...time to have to do over when the sorted out, configured stuff dont work the first time....I'm concerned that I'll be dicking with these things for another month.
It's like having a good hand of cards,.....but you know that the other guy has 3 aces,.....maybe a 4th.
You gotta know when to fold em'.

I understand your thought processes.....well....no i don't....but.....

I can see getting it running with the known good working intake. Thats really the only way you'll know if all the new goodies made a real difference in performance. The turbo tune has to be pretty close to the NA tune. That makes it easier to get running and broken in.

Once the car is running, and all the new engine running bugs are worked out, you can always slap the ITBs on it and wow the crowd. Atleast, that way you know the foundation is solid. Nothing like chasing the tail over and over with a completely new set up.

Going your way will take a little guess work out of the equation....simplifying the process. That saves time and money.

This may be nothing near what you think but it justifies your decision in my mind.

You may have been thinking, " what the hell is wrong with me ? Ive got big stinkin problems. Just cant leave good enough alone. I aint got nuffin to prove. Why am i goin through all this bs.... No i won't.... i dont like this road.... mayday mayday !!! We're going down....eject eject....!!!! ( while you slap your palms against your temples )

• Agree
I understand your thought processes.....well....no i don't....but.....

I can see getting it running with the known good working intake. Thats really the only way you'll know if all the new goodies made a real difference in performance. The turbo tune has to be pretty close to the NA tune. That makes it easier to get running and broken in.

Once the car is running, and all the new engine running bugs are worked out, you can always slap the ITBs on it and wow the crowd. Atleast, that way you know the foundation is solid. Nothing like chasing the tail over and over with a completely new set up.

Going your way will take a little guess work out of the equation....simplifying the process. That saves time and money.

This may be nothing near what you think but it justifies your decision in my mind.

You may have been thinking, " what the hell is wrong with me ? Ive got big stinkin problems. Just cant leave good enough alone. I aint got nuffin to prove. Why am i goin through all this bs.... No i won't.... i dont like this road.... mayday mayday !!! We're going down....eject eject....!!!! ( while you slap your palms against your temples )
I'm not sure about the message in your message.

I read it the first time, and thought " this guy gets it",...but then there's that last sentence, and all of that went straight out the window.

What the hell are you sayin?:shrug:

For the record, I'm removing the ITB's for all of the reasons you cited.

I know it works. I know the tune will be close. Everything will bolt right up, and work. It will not require a week to sort it out. If something else is wrong with the way it runs, it will NOT be related to the induction system. it will give me a N/A baseline to reference the ITB's off of when I do convert it over.

It all makes so much sense, I'm stupider for not doing it.

Makes complete sense. So....you don't beat your brain into submission when making these types of decisions.

If my wife sees me beating myself in the head then she won't do it for me.:nonono:....a bunch of time and money spent going in a different direction.

Getting a good baseline is very important ( i would think )

Status
Not open for further replies.