Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I know steve up close and personal, we have talked several times about tuning stuff and he is so casual about his ability to build, tune and whatever voodoo he does through his computer speak, hacking ability. I hear 'ahh nothing to it' from him.
He is so modest about it you just want to choke him. :rolleyes:
he be 'special'!

come to think of it :thinking:I never heard a truck guys complain about the turbo and remove it to go NA just because.:bang::stir:

Somewhere,......at sometime in my very recent past, I'm on record for doing my own self deprecating, thank you very much

..i do not however have an actual turbo diesel, so....i cannot be compared to a "truck guy". My engine just plays a turbo diesel on TV.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
1533331290815.png

I just wanted to see what it would look like. :shrug:

• Haha
  • Happy
Reactions: 3 users
1533331290815.png

I just wanted to see what it would look like. :shrug:

You're seriously making me reconsider my exhaust routing now Noobz......Hmmmmm...maybe I shoulda got a 18 wheeler style stack, and stuck it straight out of the passenger quarter...:chin

But on a side note......Damn! That sure is a good looking car!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Work today..play tomorrow.

I ordered a black silicone 90 to replace the perfectly functional orange one that is on the charge tube currently. According to the FedEx tracking info, ( which is rarely accurate in my situation) it's supposed to be here today.

That change out, a new higher pressure radiator cap...( mine always seems to let my radiator piss out a little dribble at 220 degrees.....) and either I try to find a way to re-attach my overflow canister, or fab up a down spout to direct the overflow onto the road made out of 5/16" brake line...and I'll be road worthy.
:burnout::burnout::burnout:

You're seriously making me reconsider my exhaust routing now Noobz......Hmmmmm...maybe I shoulda got a 18 wheeler style stack, and stuck it straight out of the passenger quarter...:chin

But on a side note......Damn! That sure is a good looking car!

Except for all the :poo: hanging out behind the splitter.

I kid. Your engine walk around just reminds me of your attention to detail. I mean, there's a lot of :poo: going on there and you have it well routed and sorted and tied up and secured. I'm the kind that would get about half of that done, then say, screw it let's hear it run. And then never go tie and route anything else?

Question:

Is the air filter pointing down so far because it's too big to mount horizontally where it comes thru the fender apron?

Except for all the :poo: hanging out behind the splitter.

I kid. Your engine walk around just reminds me of your attention to detail. I mean, there's a lot of :poo: going on there and you have it well routed and sorted and tied up and secured. I'm the kind that would get about half of that done, then say, screw it let's hear it run. And then never go tie and route anything else?

Question:

Is the air filter pointing down so far because it's too big to mount horizontally where it comes thru the fender apron?
It's about 7" in diameter at the big end, probably 10" long overall. I can't turn it..itll be hanging even with splitter if I did.

I tell ya........ nothing is easy with this car.

this morning, before the wife gets up, I go down stairs to piddle around with the few things that I need to do to the car before this afternoons tuning session.

One of those things was to swap the orange elbow out for the new black one......... The significantly shorter, new black one.

The charge tube has a welded on tab, that acts as a strap to keep it from blowing off under boost. That strap is bolted to the front throttle body. It was all built around the length and distance that the orange elbow dictated..the old, significantly longer orange one.

Fortunately, there was enough slop to allow me to move the thing, but I had to redrill the strap,... twice. (Why should this be any different?...i cant even drill a freakin hole right the first time)

The overflow bottle is mounted, I've purged and tested the water meth system. the only thing I need is a 19 psi radiator cap...... and it not be raining.

Reactions: 1 users
Well.......
That was funny.

No sooner do Steve and I get linked up, the Monster all hot and bothered, and set out for our remote session to get him all happy, and tuned in boosty town...do I hear a pssh noise like escaping air.
I tell Steve that I hear a noise something like the blowoff valve makes, only it happened while my foot was on the gas, instead of off...

I go through a series of slow tip in's of the throttle, and I can hear the turbo spool, but he can't see the engine go into positive pressure, I can't feel it, and there is no tell tale blow off valve noise when I lift.

The car is running beautifully, but it ain't making no boost.
:eek:
IMAG0101_zps0u1lnilf.jpg

Whatdya spose could be the problem??

I tell Steve that I'm gonna look and see if a hose has blown off....so I pull over and pop the hood..the hoses are all on, and the lines are secure.

It's the glass that ain't feeling so well...
IMAG0097_zpsu2zcermx.jpg

IMAG0098_zps3tw05cwz.jpg

IMAG0099_zpsa2lsimwy.jpg

The windshield ribbon didn't survive one single exposure to positive pressure. Not only did it spooge out in several places, but it literally lifted the glass completely off the base...effectively ending my tuning session with Mr. Steve today.

While the thing was hot, and loose, I took advantage of the situation though....

IMAG0103_zpsdpa5yfjj.jpg

I'm gonna use the right stuff as a sealant. And let that junk dry . As hard as it was to get the old intake and valve cover off this last time...I'm confident it'll hold the glass.

Oh,....and there's this...
IMAG0102_zpsb3ivs941.jpg

2000 degrees my ass...it didn't even make it through one measly road trip....

Junk.

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
I wasn't sure about the butyl tape, but what do I freaking know. Now I (and you) know it's not suitable for forced induction applications.

If you'd like to stick with the windshield glue theme, the urethanes that are used for windows now would probably hold a ton of pressure.

I don't know if glue alone will get it done. 15 pounds per square inch of pressure equates to a lot of weight over the surface of the glass.

Did you not use the same coating on the old setup?

Joe

I don't know if glue alone will get it done. 15 pounds per square inch of pressure equates to a lot of weight over the surface of the glass.

Did you not use the same coating on the old setup?

Joe

I agree. I went and bought the right stuff
and applied it. By the time I tried to "bed" the glass, I think it had already started to skin over. And I'm afraid that all of the time spent wiping the old windshield ribbon off the mating surface is just wasted....and I'm gonna end up doing this again the very next time the engine sees boost.
And That is gonna piss me off.

I think I'm gonna end up using a urethane, which will permanently seal that glass in that box..( and take days to cure)

Or....get rid of the glass altogether, and weld a piece of steel in place of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.