Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Could you make a top plate to ‘sammich’ the glass between it and the box-use urethane or right stuff on the top and bottom ,that way you still have your window :shrug:
Start 2 pages back at this post- you will read at least half a dozen suggestions similar to this one.. The version you are making sounds like it was influenced by the half dozen or so suggestions mentioned from the last two pages.. Maybe try reading things that don’t only have Carmichaelangelo posted on the top :rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 users
A set of low velocity bug lungs. I know you love them.

didn't find this in my 'down under' dictionary. :oops:

I wuz Hooping my Ucent wouln't come through....

For the best conversion to American English from My Alien Langauge, find a Canuck Twin Turbo 257 cube Mercury Zephryr with twin turbos and a set of "high visibility rocker covers...."

Pictures help making the Inkrish Real.

RFR_79_ZEPH_MIT_Turbocharger_02.jpg

I like the Aquarium Mike has better. Its a Fish bowl compared to the Rutherford Family Racing Bonneville Tu door Zephyr, but I'm quite sure CMA's would have its a$$ at 188 mph....

Start 2 pages back at this post- you will read at least half a dozen suggestions similar to this one.. The version you are making sounds like it was influenced by the half dozen or so suggestions mentioned from the last two pages.. Maybe try reading things that don’t only have Carmichaelangelo posted on the top :rlaugh:
I keep telling you that your replies have significant influence on my decisions....you just gotta get past the self image thing raggedy. You have a closet fabricator hiding in you sir...you just gotta go out and do it.

And for the record....I do what I can do now because I'm cheap...if I coulda paid somebody to do this stuff back when I was young and broke...there'd be no monster today.
Now I understand.
not really, but I think I get the 'bug lungs' reference.
You do?... I still have no clue what that meant,...even after the pics.

I think he is referring to the red and black regulators in the pic
or the twin windows in the valve cover
or the twin turbos you can't see.
Yup, definitely the twin turbos
maybe
It's also possible that I have no clue :shrug: and just fake'n it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The wrap looks good to me. Don't worry. At a car show, people are going to be too busy looking at everything else, especially the glass box to critique your wrapping skills.

What?... All of the oil that spews out of the valve cover?

Jk,....thanks,...I hope that I can get it all done by next week end....I really want to get the thing to a cruise in before winter.

( cause who knows how bad I'll cripple the car this winter)

Ya all doing the right thing. Remain as confused as heck, but fact is.....

Gen Kar Feeth hates bugs, so anytime you talk about bugs, he creaps out all over.

@xecute:
I really enjoy reading all your fact based gobbledygoop, I can even understand some of it ( not really but the pictures are cool 'cept for the bug thing

air_enters_the_tubes_through_a_row_of_holes_along_a_bugs_abdomen-jpg.598602

) my question for you is:
Do ya think mike's new 'monster motor makeover' is gonna work ok?
Please, 500 words or less. :stick:

I warned CMA of the sundry evils thereoff of the ITB....the Piranah Tank is the result. True work of art that addresses 99.9% of the itmes of concern I raised.

Equally confused by my Man from U.n.d.e.r.'s @xecute 's last post.

Every other thing I've read from him about the decision to convert to ITB has been "Hell Yeah!".....

Only other thing is air flow into the Piranah Tank. anytime you put an air box on an engine, and it losses power from a subjective seat of the pants, then it clearly still needs a little more into the Air Box volume or opening from the turbo supply side. The Nissan ITB's have the perfect upper plenumb for little 2.0 SR20 and twin turbo 2.6 RB26 DETT engines. A big old 4.1 liter six with BMW ITB's and now a turbo might need a little more BUG Catching size to breath as wel as it can.

But I've repeatedly said I can die happy with the work done. Its awesome.

And you can be sure I'll be as cryptic as ever...tho' I never really planned to, but English isn't my first language. I see things in colors....like Noobz.....

She dreams in colour, she dreams in red, can't find a better man ....

DeanAndrewStevensonsVisualPlatforms_02.jpg

• Agree
Well...it looks like I'll miss another Saturday night cruise in. As close as I am to getting it running, I've got no time to work on it between now and then.

The "piranha tank" as Dean calls it. Still needs a day because of all of the paint work that I'll have to redo, and wait to dry.
There was some fairly extensive fitment issues that I had to resolve that came as a result of my decision to force air into the throttle bodies.

The original design was more or less loosely sealed, based on using an o-ring on the throttle body air horn. I had sleeves under each bell mouth welded to the bottom of the air box that slid down over the air horns.

The finish work on that was a little wonky, and they didnt exactly seal that well,...but what the hell......it would only ever see engine vacuum...and in the grand scheme of things, any air that leaked past those o-rings was no big deal.
That all changed when I decided to put the turbo back on. Now I had to have a tight seal. So what was I to do to try and achieve that?

Who are we talking about here anyway?

I went to my go to. I used epoxy. An epoxy stick to be exact.

I oiled every millimeter of contact surface on the throttle body air horns, and one by one, mixed up a ball, rolled it between my hands and made a big ole night crawler looking wormy dude, blobbed that to the bottom of the air box, and pushed it down onto the throttle bodies. Once it dried, I removed the air box. I had effectively made a perfect negative mold of the throttle body air horn that was now a permanent part of the air box.

I had to do this six times,..as the working time for the epoxy stick is 5 minutes, with about a 20-30 minutes dry time once set. Needless to say...it took a long time. But I'll tell you what...

It ain't gonna leak air anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
It may be the cam (that's suited only to a turbo instillation)

But I for one cannot abbide a car that feels like its got only 200 rwhp before turbo. Not with ITB's and seriusly good workmanship.

I look to the simple things, like the knowledge that with the fish tank over the six nibbling piranahs, CMA felt it made less power.

That's it, a guy's opinion Means Something.

I'd have expected much more, even if the engine is green from its rebuild.

So I'm gonna come out and say it.

Somehwere, you need to find it it inside yourself to consider adding a little more volume to the intake , in terms of inlet hole size (an extra 3" hole by junpering an extra y-piece to the existing tank thingy that covers your 6 throttles. And then, at the back by the booster, make a new glass top that adds volume in the gap between the the rise of the hood at the barke booster end.

A flare out in the front will drop velocity, and help add volume to the intake runners above the throttles. At the hood hinges, there is room to tilt the whole glass upwards, and that will make more volume.

If the box has 5 liters of volume now, with an extra gooseneck at front, and a kick-up of the glass at the back, you'll get 6.3 liters volume. Most of the 4.1 Turbo guys find the 5500 rpm its all over, is true. But in your case, its got huge throttles and really nice porting, so keeping the runner above the thottle volume low ins't a good idea, IMHO.

Have a think on it. I can send you a picture of what I think you should do for modifying it, (George's DIY Turbo Experiement nailed the growth of power up high with simply a huge letter box. You know the one in the fomerly Brandy Wine Cortina, now green.

Mark_iii_Ford_Cortina_Model_TD_250_with_Turbocharger.jpg

I appreicate you have gotten your turbo Life back, and maybee baby steps are quite okay. For me, the GM Sat Nav and HVAC display engineer George C got the whole package sorted with simplicity (well, lets be brutal...he screwd over a letter box and made it an iron lung....).

If its got the power potential, don't be scared to go Postal on the Letter Box.....

"You gotta know when to hold them,...know when to fold them, know when to walk away,...know when to run"

Remember that cheesy Kenny Rogers song? That is the theme of tonight's update.
And today, I know when to fold them.

What the Monster needs is an oil/water separator system,....not just a catch can. Today I researched them, and decided on a Mishimoto system to try and control it.

The problem with the Mishimoto system is that A., The system uses tiny little holes to plumb lines into (3/8 npt threaded holes)
And B., the reservoir only hold 2oz of overflow.

( how long do ya spose it'll take the Monster to puke out 2 oz. of oil?)

It is a true separator system though,...with one end plumbed into the valve cover, and the other end tied into the air inlet stream in front of the turbo. The can has an internal baffle, to restrict oil getting sucked into the intake stream, with a sintered bronze filter all but eliminating it.

I hope to hell it works.

So,....I "folded them". I bought stuff instead of building it. I realized the I cannot do better on my own, and the time it would've taken to build a proper system would've saved nothing,...neither time nor money.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.