Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I have two days off..but both days are filled with new house sht.

Kate got the Idea that she (we) wanted to be slum lords, and started in earnest looking for a beach condo pre-covid. When the virus came along, she actually ramped up the search, because interest rates started falling. At the same time, we got my 22 year old son living in the basement ( My man cave area) separated from my garage by a wall of corrugated metal.
( When I have a day off,...I can’t start too early out of consideration for my sleeping son) According to Kate.
As the summer progressed, she decides to put the beach condo on a back burner, and start looking for a cheaper rental property in this city, planning to rent it out to the sleeping beauty on the other side of my garage. Let’s add this up.

1. This property is about 1/2 as expensive as the beach house ( 100k vs 200k)
2. It is obviously closer, much easier to manage, and out of the path of frequent Hurricanes.
3. The first XYZ years rent is guaranteed.
4. I’ll no longer have to wait till 9 to do sht on my day off out off consideration to my slumbering son, and his significant other.

The math checks out,....we buy it.

We close on it today at 1. followed up by more than likely having to run around to the various utilities and get him set up for this first place. What’ll be left of the day for me to work on my car will be a matter of a couple of hours. Tomorrow she has me moving him ( Something that has me scratching my head, considering that I’m not the one moving). Fortunately #1 is available to help, and the stuff we’re moving is equivalent to a 1 room apt. it should be another couple of hours.

I am now wanting the car done..bad. The event that was months away is now just a few weeks away. Not only do I have to get it running, I have to get it running right, and reliable enough to make a 5 hour trip, drive it in stop and go traffic for 3 days, then bring it back another 5 hours.

The pump will be here today, ( probably at the end of it) In the interim, I have to get the trans out ( about 20 minutes at this juncture) get it back on the stand, and get it vertica so i can remove the old front pump. I’ve decided to put nuts on the back side of the adapter plate, that I’ll hold in place with an interlinked frame. The process of drilling, and tapping for helicoils is just another thing that leaves too many chances ( 6) for me to fck it up, with a cocked insert. And I can leave the plate bolted on the back . Then all I have to do is go get bolts and bits.

Reactions: 1 user
Busy times. I watched a Hoonigan video a couple days ago, and one of the guys put a bone stock 1JayZ in his car with a turbo. Stock cams, etc, dyno’d at 540 to the tire and sounded good. Made me excited to hear what yours does once you have it going.

Yep,...as they say in the south..
"I was fixin' ta get phcked.
20200903_091858.jpg

That makes 3 broke just by tightening the trans. These two wouldve went probably the first time I put power to it. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to bitch dude out.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know much about T nuts. Can they be had in a hardened version?
I'm not sure there's anything like this that would be sufficient. These look like something you'd get with your ikea desk. I think I would install time serts or helicoils. Every time i look at this pic. i cant believe they used those...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Day late and a deleted thread short:

kid making :poo: fit that doesn't belong

And, for those who can't follow along in the original thread....there were several of us, which now in hindsight may be why @CarMichael Angelo deleted that bloated thread, who ragged on him to mount fake machine guns in the front of the monster.

This same guy built a tank!

So recap, he made a Jag engine fit a flathead bellhousing to a GM T5 and built a driving shooting tank. 'Murica!

Well I wrote to dude, his answer was that I hit those inserts with an impact. Went on to say that in 3 years of making the thing this way, “ I’m the first to take issue with it” I told him that not only had I not hit it with an impact, I was using a 12“ long handled 3/8” ratchet. ( which I was)
After that exchange, he went silent.
So that left me to build the contraption you see below. I upgraded the bolts from 3/8” to 7/16”, and tied all of the nuts together so that they”ll stay put and hold themselves as I tighten it. There are small recesses where dude machined in the plate so that the tops of those cheese bag inserts won’t spin. Now they act as a recess to allow the same for those 7/16” nuts. In addition to the fact that they are all tied together, so the can’t spin anyway.
The pumps here,..it’s the same as the one I took out. Depending on my timetable tomorrow, we’ll see what ai can get done.

20200903_171450.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users