Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

sitting at work..selling a car. Im supposed to be working on moving my son into his apartment, and when not doing that, working on my junk in the mean time.
But it appears that I ain't doing none of that.

sitting at work..selling a car. Im supposed to be working on moving my son into his apartment, and when not doing that, working on my junk in the mean time.
But it appears that I ain't doing none of that.

Hmmm, sit in the AC making money, or be sweating balls carrying furniture and crap with bionic knees for free... Sorry son, duty calls.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Ahhhhh Mike, Mike Mike, you just need to hear about a good solid divorce to make things better for you.....
8C8C9DE5-E521-4B6E-BA67-2034AB3444C5.gif

Well,...here I am groggy from my conversation with my late night visitor last night. I have the new front pump, now sporting the correct 3/64” diameter hole drilled through one of the fluid channels. The pressure relief valve modified, and the old bushing knocked back in. I go to put the new one in, and because I don’t have a bushing driver, use a 3/4” piece of aluminum, and a small Woden block to get the thing seated. It goes in as expected. I decide to see how tight it will fit on the converter hub, and put it on there.

it’s so tight, that I’m afraid I’ll get it permanently stuck if I force it any further. I tug it back off. I inspect the thing, it looks normal, but I decided to scuff it with a red scotchbrite. I test fit the thing again, still tight as hell. This time I decide to push it further onto the converter hub. Once further down ( where it will ride) it’s looser. I can’t see how I could fck up installing a bushing, but here I am, trying to decide to say fck it, and put this thing back together, or have to wait till next Tuesday to get another, and use the right tool to drive the thing on.I just can’t believe how many obstacles keep popping up stopping me from getting this damn thing running again.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
The more i go, the more I’m starting to think there is a certain “ intervention” that is keeping this thing checked till it’s right.

The front pump bushing that I installed was super tight. I was considering running the thing that way. Internet research reveals that improper installation can cause bushing distortion, a distorted front pump bushing doesn’t allow for proper lubrication, and can wipe out the converter hub,...ultimately, the whole trans.
So commensurately,...i left it unassembled.
Even installing the thing with a bushing driver isn’t the proper way to do this....pressing the thing in is.Trying to find a trans shop that won’t just beat the thing in will be the issue i’m sure, but that’s how i’m going to do it.

It appears that he has a purpose after all.....the 3amd keeps me from burning the thing up.

when I had it in the first time, and the driveshaft wouldn’t turn, the forced removal of the trans revealed the 3 of the inserts that held the transmission had failed, leaving (3) 3/8” bolts holding it in.
And the resulting stress on those three remaining fasteners would just as sure cause those weak ass things to fail as well.

And so there’s that.

Having the trans out made me reconsider my decision to drill a “ too big” hole in the front pump, and that led to discovering that I had completely omitted a check ball in the valve body...all things that would‘ve bit me squarely in the ass had I tried to run it.

And again,...that too.

Today i spent several hours hacking in the trans tunnel’s “ blind fasteners” so that i’ll only have to bolt it back in from the top. Not a very pretty solution. In actuality it’s pretty ugly. But,.......it’s not visible, and it works. I was going to wait to do this after the trans was back in, but had I did that, this would’ve been a major jug phck.

I made two short trans lines that stay with the trans, because the fittings are inaccessible once the pig is in the pen, The tail shaft mount is done, the lines are done, the front pump has got the right hole in it, and soon a properly installed front bushing. the valve body has all 7 check balls installed, and there are now (6) 7/16” nuts that will hold the transmission tightly against the engine...all I freakin need is some sort of a break to stop fcking up...and this thing will be running again by next Sunday.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Just came across this, and it seems fitting here.

F5BAD9B4-F7B5-44AB-AF47-8D6787F62E8D.jpeg

Well, maybe not totally fitting since you give yourself the things to wake up and ponder over.
When I woke up at 3:30 in the morning the other day, I decided to go Harley shopping online... For some reason at 3:30 in the morning I really wanted a V-Rod.

Why can't my brain do something useful when it wakes me up in the middle of the night like Mike's?